Canada is among the most popular countries for students to pursue higher education. All international students who wish to study in Canada must obtain CAQ and study permit. If you are pursuing a program or degree in Quebec you will need to get CAQ along with a study permit. CAQ stands for Certificate d’ Acceptation du Quebec or Quebec Acceptation Certificate. CAQ is issued depending on your stay or level of education. If a student pursues a term in Canada as an exchange student then she/he is not required to obtain a CAQ or study permit, your study program must be of six months or more to receive a CAQ. The certificate is valid for a maximum of 49 months. Once you get your CAQ or confirmation letter from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) before applying for a study permit. Let’s learn more about CAQ and Study Permit.
This Blog Includes:
To get a CAQ, a student must submit the admission letter that she/he received from their university to the Government of Quebec. These documents will be required to submit an application. You can submit the application online. You will be required to submit a non-refundable application fee of $120 CND (Canadian dollars) or INR 7,189 ( as of 1 January 2022) to process your application. The application can take up to 20 business days to process. So, you are advised to manage your application process accordingly.
- A CAQ application form
- A passport-sized photograph
- Pages of the passport containing your identity and personal information
- Payment of the fees
- Letter of admission from your university
- Fill out an online application for the process and pay the required fee
- After the fee payment, you will receive a personalized checklist
- You will be required to gather all your supporting documents on your personalized checklist
- Submit all your supporting documents electronically through Arrima online system to the Immigration Quebec
- After the approval of your CAQ application, you will receive an email on your CAQ to check the same.
About Study Permit
You will be required to have a study permit from the government of Canada to enter the country. A study permit is different from a VISA, you will be required to have a temporary resident VISA or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. Once your study permit is approved, your VISA will be approved at the same time. A study permit is valid through the duration of your degree and 90 days more. You must submit your application for a study permit as soon as possible because it may take time to process the same. The application cost for the study permit is $150 CND (Canadian dollars) or INR 8,987. You might also be required to submit your biometrics (photograph and fingerprints). On a study permit, you can study and work for up to 20 hours a week during your course or degree. A study permit also allows you to have your family accompany you to Canada.
The following are the documents required to get a study permit:
- A CAQ or Quebec Acceptance Certificate
- Identity Proof
- A valid passport
- Letter of Acceptance from your university or institution
- Proof of funds
- Letter of Explanation- To help the VISA officer understand the purpose of your study and undertake that you understand your responsibilities as a student.
- You must submit the application online from their online application portal. You can only apply offline if you belong person with a disability (PwD) category or you hold an identity or documents of a non-national resident, refugee, or stateless person.
- Before coming to Canada you must apply for a study permit. You must submit your Letter of Acceptance from the designated learning institution (DLI) and your letter of explanation
A CAQ and study permit are issued for the duration of your course or degree. However, you can apply for extension 6 months before your expiration date. You may fall into two categories of students if you wish to pursue education abroad:
Studying for Less Than 6 Months
If you are studying for less than 6 months you will be required to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and/ or a visitor’s VISA from the embassy of Canada.
Studying for More Than 6 Months
If you wish to study in Canada for more than 6 months you must first obtain your CAQ and study permit. You will first need to apply for a course or a degree program to study and obtain a letter of acceptance from your specific university. A letter of acceptance is a must for both Quebec and the Canadian government to grant both CAQ and study to international students.
You may also like:
A. Application cost for a study permit is $150 CND (Canadian Dollars) or INR 8,987.
A. A CAQ is valid for the duration of your course or degree. However, A CAQ can be issued for a maximum of 49 months.
A. As of 1 January 2022, the application cost for CAQ is $150 CND (Canadian Dollar).
We hope that this blog has provided you with relevant information on CAQ and study permit. And if you need any assistance with education abroad or finding a suitable course, consult Leverage Edu and book a free session today!