India has been a hub to learning and education since primitive times, continually producing intellectual writers who left an indelible impression on the global literature and people’s minds. To this day hundreds of Indian authors have produced groundbreaking works which have received global recognition at the various literary and academic platforms. Some Indian authors have even sold thousands of copies of their books across the world and were conferred with prestigious awards like Man Booker. This blog lists some of the best Indian authors who can expand your imagination.
This Blog Includes:
Let’s shed some light on the names of some of the best Indian authors with the help of the below-mentioned list, which will be followed by a detailed explanation of some of them and also their works. Here it is:
- Arundhati Roy
- Amrita Pritam
- Ruskin Bond
- Jhumpa Lahiri
- Khushwant Singh
- Rabindranath Tagore
- R.K. Narayan
- Mulk Raj Anand
- Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay
- Vikram Seth
- Aravind Adiga
- Amitav Ghosh
- Kiran Desai
- Shashi Tharoor
- Bipan Chandra
Let’s explore the inspiring life of some of these best Indian authors.
Born on 31 August 1919, she was a writer and poet. Amrita wrote extensively on feminism and the suffering of women in Punjab during the partition year. She published her first story at the young age of 16. Pritam had written books both in Punjab as well as Hindi. She went on to write around two dozen novels, collections of poetry and short stories. She was awarded the Sahitya Akademi Award as well as the Padma Shri Award. Then, in the year 1981, she also received, Jnanpith Award, considered a top literary award of India. Her famous novel is Pinjar or The Skeleton, which later came as a film adaptation in Bollywood.
She is one of the best Indian authors, a novelist, and a brilliant short story writer. Lahiri was born, in 1967, in the city of London after which she travelled to the USA to pursue her education, and later got her masters from Boston University. It will be a surprise to many that as a struggling writer her many writings were dismissed by many publications. But soon she came up with her tour de force work ‘The interpreter of Maladies’. This book is an anthology of her famous short stories. A recurrent theme of her short stories is the plight immigrants went through after partition. novels. Her fiction is famed across the world. Her major works are The Namesake, The Lowland and Unaccustomed Earth.
He belongs in the class of those writers whose books are simply unputdownable. Aravind was born in 1974, in India. He pursued his education in India and then Australia subsequently went on to attain a degree in English literature at Columbia University. First, he began his career as a journalist in New York and after he came back to India, he was appointed a correspondent for a renowned TIME magazine. He has written in a prolific manner on issues of politics, arts, etc. His first novel, ‘The White Tiger’ was awarded Man Booker in 2008. He has written many other novels, which include, Between the Assassinations, Selection Day and Last Man in Tower.
A household name in India who shaped the literary imagination of people in India. His reputation is not only as one of the best Indian authors but also a historian and a fiercest political observer. Born in undivided India in Hadali in 1915, he began his education journey from Government College in Lahore and completed his higher education from Cambridge University in the UK. His professional career began as a lawyer in Lahore High court. For many years he was part of the Ministry of External Affairs in India before joining AIR as a journalist. His book, Train to Pakistan, gave him prominence in the literary world. He also published a two-volume, History of the Sikhs and many novels, including, Delhi: A Novel.
Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay
Many great personalities often vanish in the abyss of history, one such figure is that of Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay. Born in 1876 in Bengal in an impoverished family, the financial crunch couldn’t discourage his father who was also a writer, from shaping the imagination of his son, Sarat. It was due to such determined efforts that Sarat Chandra became a popular novelist of Bengal during those times. Even when he was just a teenager he began writing and published several essays. Since he was an ardent advocate of female rights he tore through the fabric of patriarchy. His notable writings include Devdas, Palli Samaj and Biraj Bau which was published during WW1.
Top 10 Romantic Novels by Indian Authors
- Wish I Could Tell You by Durjoy Datta
- Law of Averages: A Hilarious Love Story by Filmi Ishtyle by Kshitish Padhy
- 14th Feb: A Love Story by Veena C
- You Are the Best Wife by Ajay K. Pandey
- You Were My Crush! Till You Said You Love Me! By Durjoy Dutta
- Untruly Yours by Smita Shetty
- Your Dreams are Mine Now by Ravinder Singh
- This Love that Feels Right by Ravinder Singh
- A Bollywood Affair by Sonali Dev
- My EX Fell in Love by Shubham Choudhary
Best Fiction Books by Indian Authors
- The Far Field by Madhuri Vijay- HarperCollins India
- Autobiography Of An Unknown Indian – Nirad C. Chaudhuri
- The Atlas of Reds and Blues by Devi S Laskar- Hachette India
- Ib’s Endless Search for Satisfaction by Roshan Ali- Penguin India
- Deadly Shadows- Rajinder Prabhakar
- The Alchemy Of Secrets- Priya Balasubramanian
- Aliens In Delhi- Sami Ahmad Khan
- The Atlas of Reds and Blues- Devi S Laskar
- Ib’s Endless Search for Satisfaction- Roshan Ali
- Timeless Tales From Marwar- Vijaydan Detha, Vishes Kothari
- Future Tense- Nitasha Kaul
Best Indian Novels for Youngsters
- Train to Pakistan – Khushwant Singh
- Curfewed Night – Basharat Peer
- I too Had a Love Story- Ravindra Singh
- The Inheritance of Loss- Author Kiran Desai
- The White Tiger- Aravind Adiga
- The God of Small Things- Arundhati Roy
- You Bring the Distance Near- Mitali Perkins
- The Rule Breaker- Preeti Shenoy
- The Invincible Weapon- Sowmya Putta
- Talking Of Muskaan- Himanjali Sankar
- Faces In The Water- Ranjit Lal
Hope this blog has familiarised you with some of the distinguished and best Indian authors of all time. Aiming to be part of a top-notch educational process overseas? Let our experts at Leverage Edu facilitate your academic journey. Sign up your free 30 minutes of e-counselling with our career experts and get your academic career going!