An International Student visa is a vital document that allows a student to study abroad. The type of visa differs from country to country. This article will guide aspiring students on the types of visas in different countries, the eligibility criteria to get an international student visa, the application process, and the documents required for different types of visas. All the students who are aspiring to study abroad must go through the below article.
This Blog Includes:
International Student Visa – Definition
An international student visa is a legal document that allows students to study and work in abroad. Every country has its own visa application process, fees, and requirements. In order to find the exact data regarding the visa it is better to connect the host country’s consulate or embassy. If the candidate fails to get the visa, he/she won’t be allowed to cross the country’s border, and certain criminal charges can be charged.
Qualifications to get an International Student Visa depend on the country the student belongs to and the country they are applying for. Students should satisfy the following qualifications to get an International student visa:
- The aspiring students should carry a valid passport (valid for at least six months) while applying for the international student visa
- The students are required to fill out the study abroad visa application form with their details
- The candidates are required to their recent passport-size photographs to get an international student visa
- Students are required to submit their letter of admission or any enrollment records to show that they have been accepted for a course in their destination country.
- In order to apply for a international student visa the candidates must prove that they have sufficient funds to support themselves during their course of study.
- It depends upon the country that the student wants to take admission in, if they are required to purchase a health insurance plan, that is valid for the entire period of their studies.
Types of International Student Visa in Different Countries
International Student Visa – UK
Foreign students above 16 years of age planning to study a course in the UK for a period of more than 6 months are required to apply for an international student visa. As part of the application process, the students are required to prove their identity. This depends upon the type of country and passport the student has. The student will either be required to:
- Give fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) or
- Use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan the identity document – also create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account
International Student Visa Fees for UK
- £490 – outside the UK
- £490 – inside the UK
Also Read : UK Visa Requirements for Indians
International Student Visa – US
There are several steps to apply for an international student visa in US. The order of these steps varies between U.S. Embassy and the Consulate. Please consult the instructions on the website of the embassy or consulate.
New Students – Student (F and M) visas for new students are generally issued up to 365 days in advance of the start date for a programme. However, the students will not be allowed to enter the United States more than 30 days before the start date of the program.
Continuing Students – Student (F and M) visas for these students can be issued at any time, as long as the student is currently enrolled at a SEVP-approved school or institution and in SEVIS. These students are allowed to enter the United States at any time before the start of the programme.
International Student Visa Fees for US – $185
The students are required to prepare the following documents before their visa interview:
- A valid passport at least six months beyond the period of stay in the United States. Each individual who needs a visa must submit a separate application, for each member of the family listed in the passport.
- Application fee payment receipt, in case it is required to pay before the interview
- Uploading the photo is required while filling out the application form for an international student visa
International Student Visa – Canada
There are four stages to getting an international student visa for Canada:
Satisfy the mentioned eligibility criteria:
- Letter of acceptance from a DLI,
- Proof of financial support,
- Supporting documents (depends upon citizenship country and residence country)
Start with the application process for the study permit. Make sure to gather all documents required If you don’t show that you meet the requirements, an immigration officer may reject your application.
The students can submit their study permit application in two ways:
- Submit an electronic application by scanning all the documents OR
- Gather all the hard copies of the documents and mail them to the visa application centre
Below is a list of documents required:
- Acceptance Letter from the institution of the course of the program
- Proof of funds to support their family and themselves. The students are required to show that they can manage their tuition fees as well as the cost of living (accommodation, food, etc.)
- Birth certificate, marriage certificate, and passport are required
International Student Visa Fees Canada – per person $150
In order to restore the status as a student the fees are as follows:
Restore the status ($200) and get a new study permit ($150)
International Student Visa – Australia
The international student visa allows a student to stay in Australia for the duration of their course (at least 5 years). Check below the types of international student visas in Australia:
- Student visa (subclass 500)
- Student Guardian Visa (subclass 590)
- Training visa (subclass 407)
Application Cost – From AUD710.00, unless exempt
In order to apply for an international student visa for Australia the students are required to submit a list of documents in order to ensure a smooth application process. Find the list of documents below:
- Proof of Identity
- Acceptance Letter
- Proof of funds
- Overseas students will require health insurance documents
- English language requirements for an Australian visa
- Partner Documents
- School enrolment evidence
International Student Visa Australia – Complete the visa application process by paying the visa fee of $575.
An international student visa is a government-issued immigration document granted by a consulate general or embassy, that legally allows the students to study in a specific country for a specific time period.
Reasons behind the rejection of an international student visa in US can be failing to comply with visa rules & regulations, insufficient funds, lacking the intention to return to your home country, incomplete application forms, and a poor visa interview, or providing incorrect information.
The students can avoid the rejection of international student visa rejection by submitting the right documents, and proof of funds, and ensuring compliance with all the rules and regulations of visas.
We hope you now understand what is international student visa. Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu and we will guide you on your dream journey!