Before applying for the Australian student visa it is important to note down all the important checklists and make sure you fulfil the eligibility to ensure a smooth application process. This checklist will serve as a roadmap for the students who are planning to study in Australia. This blog will give the students complete information about Australian student visa requirements, eligibility criteria, checklist for application, fees, etc. Read this blog to learn about the Australian student visa checklist.
|Australian Student Visa Tenure||5 years|
|Types of Australian Student Visa||Subclass 500 VisaSubclass 573 VisaSubclass 590 Visa|
|Processing time||10 days to 4 months|
|Australian Student Visa Fees||AUD710.00|
This Blog Includes:
- What is an Australian Student Visa?
- Australian Student Visa Checklist for Eligibility Criteria
- Australian Student Visa Application Checklist
- Types of Australian Student Visa
- Things to Keep in Mind While Applying for an Australia Student Visa
- Application Student Visa Fees & Processing Time
What is an Australian Student Visa?
An Australian student visa is a type of visa that allows a student to study an educational course in Australia for up to 5 years. However, it depends upon the type of course and its duration. This visa also allows you to travel in and out of Australia. In case the student visa expires before graduation then the candidate may be eligible for an extension or visitor visa. In this case, a letter is required from the education provider with the date of graduation. The students can also include their family members at the time of visa application. With this visa the student can work for only up to 40 hours a fortnight however, the students who are doing their master’s degree have no work hour limits.
Must Read: Australia Student Visa: Subclass 500 Visa
Australian Student Visa Checklist for Eligibility Criteria
In order to apply for an Australian student visa the candidates must satisfy the below-mentioned eligibility criteria:
- The student applying for this visa must be aged 6 years or above.
- The student should be enrolled in a particular course and also should provide evidence of the same.
- The students must have adequate welfare arrangements while in Australia.
- The students should meet the English language requirements.
- The students and their families must have and maintain proper health insurance.
- The student should not have had any application or visa cancelled in the past.
- Students above 18 years of age must sign the Australian values statement.
- The students must provide a GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) to prove that they are coming to Australia temporarily for educational purposes and will use the Australian visa for its intended purpose only.
- Neither the student nor any member of the family should owe any money to the Australian government.
Australian Student Visa Application Checklist
If you don’t want to fret running here and there while you actually sit to fill up your application form, make sure of the following points;
- Australian student visas can be only applied online.
- The visa application should be made at least 2 months before the commencement of your course.
- The application can also be made four months before the commencement of the course but not prior to that.
- Moreover, the authorities have advised the students to keep their applications complete and documents sorted so that there is no delay or rejection of the visa.
- All documents that are not in English language must have certified English translation copies attached to them.
- The application must also have documents like English proficiency test scores, entrance exam scores, university acceptance letter, proof of funds and accommodation documents etc attached to it.
- The Department of Home Affairs, Australia also urges the documents to be in full colour.
- One must get their health requirements certificate before lodging a visa application.
- One can generate their own
- Health Assessment Portal (HAP) ID and medical request letter from their immigration account and take this letter for health assessment.
- Once the application is submitted students are strongly requested to not send hard copies or e-mails with their documents attached.
- The procedure for visa application for students under 18 years of age and dependants or caretakers is different.
Types of Australian Student Visa
Australian student visas are of several types and each one has its unique requirements. Check below the types of Australian student visa types:
Subclass 500 Visa
This student visa allows the student to study in universities, colleges, and other higher educational institutions. With this visa, students can travel in and out of Australia and also will be able to work for 48 hours a fortnight during their course of study.
Subclass 573 Visa
This visa is particularly for those students who are interested in vocational education & training. However, the students who have applied for this visa on or before 30 June 2016 will be considered as of 1 July 2016, no new applications are accepted.
Subclass 590 Visa
This visa is for a student’s parent, custodian or any relative of a student holding a student visa above 21 years of age. This visa allows the respective person to enter Australia to take care of and provide support to the student visa holder under 18 years of age or maybe older in exceptional conditions.
Things to Keep in Mind While Applying for an Australia Student Visa
Before applying for an Australian Student Visa the students keep a check on the following:
- Apply for a visa at least 8 weeks before the course starts
- Gather all the essential documents before applying for an Australian Student Visa
- Apply for the visa
- Check for after-application procedure
- The outcome of the visa will be given in writing
Application Student Visa Fees & Processing Time
The Australian student visa costs AUD 710.00 for the main applicant unless they are exempt. Apart from this, there is also a charge for each family member applying for the visa. There might be other costs as well such as health checks, police certificates, and biometrics. The processing time for a student visa depends upon the number of applications, the type of courses, and the country from which the student is applying. The processing time can take up to 10 days to 4 months.
Why is Student Visa Approval taking so Long?
The visa application may take longer in case of the following cases:
- Filling the application form incorrectly
- All the required documents are not attached
- Takes time to verify the documents
- Invalid/Fake Passport, wrong information Mentioned in the application form
The students can check details about their visa application on the Visa Entitlement Online System.
No, as compared to other countries it is easier to get an Australian student visa. The students are required to submit all the required documents carefully in order to get an Australian student visa.
The students are required to apply for the visa at least 8 weeks before the commencement of the course.
We hope you now understand the Australia student visa checklist and how to apply for it! Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu and we will guide you on your dream journey!