In today’s world Canada has become the most desired destination for all those who wish to pursue education abroad. With its top educational institutions and the comfortable living it ensures to its students this Maple Country has grabbed the attention of students from all around the world. But getting into a foreign educational institution could be a tough nut to crack without knowing all about their procedures and regulations. You might have chosen your dream University in Canada and got admitted there but you can’t even get past the airport security check without having secured the right documents. One such document is the Canada Student Permit. But don’t worry we will guide you through all the important details required to attain this study permit for Canada.
This Blog Includes:
- Canada Study Permit News
- What is Study Permit?
- How to Apply?
- Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Permit
- Canada Study Permit Requirements
- Canada Study Permit Processing Time
- How to Apply for Extension for Student Permit for Canada?
- Documents Required for Study Permit Extension
Canada Study Permit News
- Student Direct Stream has been streamlined in India for students. Students applying through the SDS route can expect their student permit from Canada within 7 to 8 days.
- Direct flights between India and Canada were recently approved by the Canadian government. Reducing the cost and time spent on travel.
- Fully vaccinated students are exempted from the three-night stay at a government-approved hotel. Students have to self-isolate themselves for 10 days after arriving in Canada.
- Students have to submit a negative RT-PCR test before boarding the flight to Canada and can be subjected to random testing after arriving in the country.
What is Study Permit?
No, don’t confuse it for the Canadian visa. Canada student permit is a document issued by the government of Canada which allows students of foreign origin to secure admission into any Canadian educational institution. You can get admission into universities across Canada without a study permit but before you immigrate to Canada you need to secure this document. So, you need to apply for it before you travel to Canada.
How to Apply?
The application cost for a Canada Student Permit is CAD 150$ [INR 8, 741]. For students of Indian origin, there are two modes through which they can apply.
Student Direct Stream
For any legal Indian resident, this is the preferred mode of application as this is comparatively faster than the other mode. Most applications are processed within 20 days of filling out the application form. Under this model, all the procedures take place online. You need to submit all the required documents and your biometrics for the completion of the application procedure for Canada Student Permit through the Student Direct stream.
Canada Study Permit Application
Any foreign resident could apply through this mode. The requirements to apply through a regular Study permit application are similar to that of a student direct stream but it takes a bit longer for the application to get processed under this mode. Furthermore, this mode of application can be completed both online and offline mode.
You can find the application form and all the required details for both modes on the official website of the Canadian Government. The candidates can create an account for themselves by visiting this link and follow it till the end to complete the entire procedure and obtain a Canada Student Permit
In case of offline mode, all the forms should be first downloaded from this link, filled and then submitted to the Canadian visa office located in the Canadian Embassy of your country.
Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Permit
To be eligible to apply for a Canada Student Permit, the candidate must fulfil the following requirements.
- The candidate must have secured admission into any Canadian educational institution.
- A valid proof of the candidates financial ability to cover the educational expenses.
- The candidate must have a character certificate from a legal authority stating no involvement in criminal offences of any kind.
- A medical certificate from a qualified professional.
- Must have cleared IELTS with a score of 6.0 or higher.
Latest Update: Canada to Reopen Borders for Students
Canada Study Permit Requirements
Before filling any form the most important thing to do is collect all the required documents. So, for your convenience we have come up with a list of all the necessary documents required for obtaining a Canada Student Permit.
- Proof of acceptance – When you will get admitted into any Candidate university, it will send you a letter of acceptance confirming your admission.
- Proof of identity – a copy of your passport and recent passport size photographs.
- Proof of Financial Support – You need to have documents which could prove that you or your family is capable of funding your education, stay and other living expenses in Canada.
- Proof of qualifications – The candidate must submit all the documents corresponding to their qualifications.
Must Read: Top 10 Colleges in Canada
Documents Required for Proof of Financial Support
- Proof of having a Canadian bank account in your name
- GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate) from a Canadian educational institution
- In case students have applied for an educational loan then corresponding documents need to be provided.
- Copy of the scholarship letter mentioning the benefits. (If applicable)
- Proof of full payment of tuition fee for the first year of study. This could be in the form of a receipt of payment from the DLI (Designated Learning Institution)
Canada Study Permit Processing Time
The student visa for Canada processing time has been disrupted due to the ongoing pandemic. The Canadian visa application process has been streamlined and students preparing to join universities for the upcoming intake are given priority. The general processing time for a student permit in Canada is 12 weeks and for extension is 34 days.
|Processing Time||Student Permit Canada|
|Student Permit (Outside)||12 weeks|
|Student Permit (Extension)||34 days|
|Work Permit (Outside)||29 weeks|
How to Apply for Extension for Student Permit for Canada?
Students have to apply for an extension on their student permit in Canada 30 days before the expiration date. Here’s the application process for Student Permit Canada:
- Apply online and fill out the application form
- Students need to upload scanned copies of their documents and a valid debit/credit card
- Students are required to answer some questions on the application
- Once the application is complete, students can pay the fees and submit the form
Also Read: Oldest Universities in Canada
Documents Required for Study Permit Extension
- Proof of payment
- Proof of acceptance letter from a DLI institution (but not limited to it)
- Proof of academic standing from the university
- Proof of funds
- Photocopies of the passport
- Photocopies of identification
- Photocopies of current immigration document
Student Permit in Canada is a temporary residency awarded to international students who wish to study in the country.
The processing time for a student permit in Canada is 12 weeks. Due to the COVID-19, there has been a delay in processing permits and visas.
Proof of payment
Proof of acceptance letter from a DLI institution (but not limited to it)
Proof of academic standing from the university
Proof of funds
Photocopies of the passport
Photocopies of identification
Photocopies of current immigration document
Canada student permit is a document issued by the government of Canada which allows students of foreign origin to secure admission into any Canadian educational institution.
The fee for a student permit in Canada is CAD 150 [INR 8, 741]
Also Read: Study in Canada without IELTS
We hope that now you have all the necessary details required to apply for a Canada Student Permit. But as the application process is quite long you might need some assistance. In that case our Leverage Edu experts are here to help and guide you through the process. Sign up for a free session now.