In today’s world Canada has become the most desired destination for all those who wish to pursue education abroad. With its top educational institutions and comfortable living, it ensures to its students this Maple Country has grabbed the attention of students from all around the world. But getting into a foreign educational institution could be a tough nut to crack without knowing all about their procedures and regulations. You might have chosen your dream University in Canada and got admitted there but you can’t even get past the airport security check without having secured the right documents. One such document is the Canada Student Permit. But don’t worry we will guide you through all the important details required to attain this study permit for Canada.
This Blog Includes:
- One App for All Your Study Abroad Needs
- Canada Study Permit News
- What is Study Permit?
- How to Apply for a Study Permit?
- How long can you stay in Canada with a study permit?
- Intakes in Canada
- Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Permit
- Canada Study Permit Requirements
- Canada Study Permit Processing Time
- How to Apply for Extension for Student Permit for Canada?
- Finance Your Study Abroad Dream With Leverage Edu
- Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada
- Try Out The Most Reliable Study Abroad Expert
- World’s First & Largest Online University Fair Platform
One App for All Your Study Abroad Needs
Do you want to study abroad but don’t know where to start? we’ve got you covered. Download our Free Leverage Edu App, which offers a one-stop destination for all your study abroad requirements. Start your journey, track your progress, grow with the community and so much more!
Canada Study Permit News
- Student Direct Stream has been streamlined in India for students. Students applying through the SDS route can expect their student permit from Canada within 7 to 8 days.
- Direct flights between India and Canada were recently approved by the Canadian government. Reducing the cost and time spent on travel.
- Fully vaccinated students are exempted from the three-night stay at a government-approved hotel. Students have to self-isolate themselves for 10 days after arriving in Canada.
- Students have to submit a negative RT-PCR test before boarding the flight to Canada and can be subjected to random testing after arriving in the country.
What is Study Permit?
No, don’t confuse it for the Canadian visa. Canada student permit is a document issued by the government of Canada which allows students of foreign origin to secure admission into any Canadian educational institution. You can get admission into universities across Canada without a study permit but before you immigrate to Canada you need to secure this document. So, you need to apply for it before you travel to Canada.
How to Apply for a Study Permit?
The application cost for a Canada Student Permit is CAD 150$ [INR 8, 741]. For students of Indian origin, there are two modes through which they can apply.
Student Direct Stream
For any legal Indian resident, this is the preferred mode of application as this is comparatively faster than the other mode. Most applications are processed within 20 days of filling out the application form. Under this model, all the procedures take place online. You need to submit all the required documents and your biometrics for the completion of the application procedure for Canada Student Permit through the Student Direct stream.
Canada Study Permit Application
Any foreign resident could apply through this mode. The requirements to apply through a regular Study permit application are similar to that of a student direct stream but it takes a bit longer for the application to get processed under this model. Furthermore, this mode of application can be completed both online and offline mode.
You can find the application form and all the required details for both modes on the official website of the Canadian Government. The candidates can create an account for themselves by visiting this link and following it till the end to complete the entire procedure and obtain a Canada Student Permit
In case of offline mode, all the forms should be first downloaded from this link, filled, and then submitted to the Canadian visa office located in the Canadian Embassy of your country.
How long can you stay in Canada with a study permit?
A study permit normally lasts for the duration of your program plus an additional 90 days. You have 90 days to prepare to depart Canada or to request a stay extension.
1. If you’re taking prerequisite courses
If your school requires you to attend courses before being accepted into the main program (conditional admission), your study permit will be valid for the duration of those courses plus an additional year. You must apply to extend your stay as a student after being accepted into the main program.
2. If you’ll finish your studies after your study permit expires
If you do not complete your courses by the expiration date on your permit, you must request to extend your student visa. You’ll have to stop studying and leave Canada if you don’t.
3. If you finish your studies before your study permit expires
If you complete your studies early, your permit will expire 90 days after you complete them, regardless of the date indicated on the study permit. You’ve finished your studies when your school sends you a completion letter, transcript, degree, or diploma for the first time. You must show proof of the date your school notified you or the date your degree, diploma, or certificate was received. If you don’t have proof, we’ll use the document’s earliest issuance date. This date may be confirmed with your school.
Intakes in Canada
Three types of admissions are available at Canadian universities and colleges. The three available intakes in Canada are:
|Fall Semester||This Intake Starts In The Month Of September.|
|Winter Semester||This Intake Starts In The Month Of January.|
|Summer Semester||This intake takes place in either April or May. This semester, there are only a few programs and colleges available.|
Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Permit
To be eligible to apply for a Canada Student Permit, the candidate must fulfill the following requirements.
- The candidate must have secured admission into any Canadian educational institution.
- A valid proof of the candidates financial ability to cover the educational expenses.
- The candidate must have a character certificate from a legal authority stating no involvement in criminal offences of any kind.
- A medical certificate from a qualified professional.
- Must have cleared IELTS with a score of 6.0 or higher.
Latest Update: Canada to Reopen Borders for Students
Canada Study Permit Requirements
Before filling out any form the most important thing to do is collect all the required documents. So, for your convenience, we have come up with a list of all the necessary documents required for obtaining a Canada Student Permit.
- Proof of acceptance – When you will get admitted into any Candidate university, it will send you a letter of acceptance confirming your admission.
- Proof of identity – a copy of your passport and recent passport size photographs.
- Proof of Financial Support – You need to have documents which could prove that you or your family is capable of funding your education, stay and other living expenses in Canada.
- Proof of qualifications – The candidate must submit all the documents corresponding to their qualifications.
Must Read: Top 10 Colleges in Canada
Documents Required for Proof of Financial Support
- Proof of having a Canadian bank account in your name
- GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate) from a Canadian educational institution
- In case students have applied for an educational loan then corresponding documents need to be provided.
- Copy of the scholarship letter mentioning the benefits. (If applicable)
- Proof of full payment of tuition fee for the first year of study. This could be in the form of a receipt of payment from the DLI (Designated Learning Institution)
Canada Study Permit Processing Time
The student visa for Canada processing time has been disrupted due to the ongoing pandemic. The Canadian visa application process has been streamlined and students preparing to join universities for the upcoming intake are given priority. The general processing time for a student permit in Canada is 12 weeks and for extension is 34 days.
|Processing Time||Student Permit Canada|
|Student Permit (Outside)||12 weeks|
|Student Permit (Extension)||34 days|
|Work Permit (Outside)||29 weeks|
How to Apply for Extension for Student Permit for Canada?
Students have to apply for an extension on their student permit in Canada 30 days before the expiration date. Here’s the application process for Student Permit Canada:
- Apply online and fill out the application form
- Students need to upload scanned copies of their documents and a valid debit/credit card
- Students are required to answer some questions on the application
- Once the application is complete, students can pay the fees and submit the form
Also Read: Oldest Universities in Canada
Documents Required for Study Permit Extension
- Proof of payment
- Proof of acceptance letter from a DLI institution (but not limited to it)
- Proof of academic standing from the university
- Proof of funds
- Photocopies of the passport
- Photocopies of identification
- Photocopies of current immigration document
Finance Your Study Abroad Dream With Leverage Edu
If you want to study abroad but are concerned about your financial situation or are unsure about study loans, we can assist. Check out leverage finance and we will give you zero service fees, the best interest rates, comparative analysis, and many other benefits you can also send money abroad in just a few taps using our forex services. You may check your eligibility by going to the link below.
Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada
Students studying in Canada are eligible to stay back in the country and apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit. Students have a window of 180 days to apply for the permit after receiving their final marks and work in the country for up to 3 years on the permit. Documents required are an official letter from your school and an official transcript or copy to confirm that you have studied at the university. To work in the country, the candidates must have completed at least one year of education from DIL registered university.
How to Apply?
To begin with the admission process, one needs to follow certain step-by-step procedures to ensure that you don’t miss anything while sending your application. The following pointers elaborate upon the major steps you should keep in mind while planning to study in Canada.
- Find a Suitable Course and University
Thoroughly research the available diploma and degree programs in your field of interest as well as the universities offering them. Canada is globally famous for its prospective courses in varied specialisations, be it Science, Technology, Humanities or Commerce.
- Get the Paperwork Ready
Applying to study in Canada can be a lengthy procedure and it’s important to start your application as early as possible. Some of the basic application essentials include transcripts and marksheets for your academic records, language proficiency scores (IELTS Score for Canada), letter of motivation, letters of recommendation (LOR), Statement of Profit (SOP), amongst others. We have also given a rundown of different documents you need in the next section.
- Familiarize yourself with Admission Requirements
Once you have selected the right course, check its admission requirements given on the university’s official website. Some of the prominent things you need to ensure are academic-related specifications, criteria related to work experience, information about the intake, etc.
- Filling the Application Form & Submission
Major universities in Canada conduct the application procedure through an online medium where the candidates need to fill their personal and academic details, submit the necessary documents as well as the required application fee. Make sure that you carefully add all your details and go through them once again before the final submission.
- Gear Up for Visa Application
Once your candidature has been successfully accepted by the university, you can start preparing your visa application. It generally needs around 60 days as well as demands many documents, so it becomes important that you commence your visa application as early as you can.
Try Out The Most Reliable Study Abroad Expert
Are you thinking about studying abroad? However, you have no idea which universities or courses are appropriate for you! Take a look at our Course Finder, which is powered by AI. Fill in the blanks and let AI compare your selections to millions of others. a few data points, and there you have it! You come across just what you’re looking for. Allowing you to save hours of research in a matter of seconds
Student Permit in Canada is a temporary residency awarded to international students who wish to study in the country.
The processing time for a student permit in Canada is 12 weeks. Due to the COVID-19, there has been a delay in processing permits and visas.
Proof of payment
Proof of acceptance letter from a DLI institution (but not limited to it)
Proof of academic standing from the university
Proof of funds
Photocopies of the passport
Photocopies of identification
Photocopies of current immigration document
Canada student permit is a document issued by the government of Canada which allows students of foreign origin to secure admission into any Canadian educational institution.
The fee for a student permit in Canada is CAD 150 [INR 8, 741]
World’s First & Largest Online University Fair Platform
Get an opportunity to speak with renowned university officials one-on-one and learn more about the campus, their courses, the application process, and prospective job options following the course. Apply in the UniConnect fair with a single click and receive on-the-spot offers from major colleges. In exclusive webinars and lectures, learn how to apply for significant scholarships and school loans. In just a few simple steps, you may attend the UniConnect fair.
- Register for UniConnect by creating an account
- Complete your profile to view the recommended universities
- Visit university booths and interact with university experts
Also Read: Study in Canada without IELTS
We hope that now you have all the necessary details required to apply for a Canada Student Permit. But as the application process is quite long you might need some assistance. In that case, our Leverage Edu experts are here to help and guide you through the process. Sign up for a free session now.