Studying abroad is just like a dream coming true for most students. If you are planning to get admission into the top universities in Canada, you must have an excellent academic background and permission to study abroad (Student Permit). A study permit is mandatory if you are planning to study abroad. The permit should be present with the students before they enter any country.
For a Study Permit in Canada, the first step is to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa provided by the Canadian High Commission and it is facilitated by the Visa Application Centres (VACs). The VFS Global Services in the delegated VACs for Canadian Visas.
Let’s discuss the Canadian Student visa, how students can apply, the important document required and most importantly, why to choose Canada as your study destination.
This Blog Includes:
Study in Canada
Students from all over the world come and study in Canada to pursue various educational courses. Canadian universities offer students great infrastructure, a cutting-edge curriculum, and fabulous campuses. Having a student visa for yourself is just like having a launch pad for your pursuits in life.
Why Study In Canada?
Here are a few reasons why to choose Canada as your destination.
- You can enjoy an exciting campus lifestyle with students from all over the world.
- Studying abroad is often a chance for a wide career and excellent job opportunities.
- A chance for students to work and get internship opportunities for many international students while they complete their education in Canada.
- Canada is known for its research and AI learning scope, students will get abundant research and innovation opportunities.
- Exposure for students to understand and learn about other countries’ cultures and lifestyles.
- International students in Canada can also apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This will give students a job experience in Canada while completing their higher education.
Also Read: Canada Student Visa for Indians
Eligibility Criteria for Canadian Student Visa
There are a few guidelines which every student must follow before applying for a Study Permit in Canada. Without fulfilling these requirements, there is no chance to get a Canadian Study Permit. The following eligibility criteria are briefly mentioned below:
- The student must have valid proof of financial ability to cover all the costs of education in Canada.
- Students must have a graduation degree/certificate from an accredited institution with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- Students applying must also have an Offer Letter from a Canadian Institution/University.
- A character certificate issued by a legal authority stating no involvement of the student in any kind of criminal offence.
- You must also have an IELTS scorecard with at least 6.0 or higher scores.
How to Apply for a Canadian Student Visa?
There are mainly two ways students can apply for Student Visa in Canada. The first is known as Student Direct Stream (SDS) and the second is known as Canada Student Permit Application. The details for both of the application procedures are briefly explained below.
- Student Direct Stream (SDS): The SDS mode of application is a fast process in comparison to the other application procedures and it can be done online easily. The SDS applications are processed within 20 days of application. Students need to attach all the required documents with the biometrics for the Study Permit application completion.
- Canada Student Permit Application: Any International student can apply through this mode. The procedure can be completed in both modes, online and offline. This application procedure is longer as compared to the Student Direct Stream (SDS).
For online applications, students need to visit the official website of the Canadian Government, i.e., www.canada.ca/en.html. For offline applications, students can download the form from the available link here, Application For Study Visa. Fill in the details required and attach the documents then courier this to the nearest Canadian Embassy.
Application Fee for Student Visa in Canada
Some amount has to be paid at the time of Visa application. Students must pay around INR 8,741/- (CAD 150) for the Visa.
Important Documents Canadian for Student Visa
Students must have each supporting document for their Student Permit. The application for the Student Visa must be done after you have an Offer Letter from a University in Canada. The list of the following documents is given below for SDS and non-SDS application procedures.
|SDS Application||Non-SDS Application|
|Language Proficiency Test Results Certificate||Language Proficiency Test Result Certificate|
|Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)||Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)|
|Educational Certificates||Financial Documents|
|Digital Pictures||Statement of Purpose (SOP)|
|Statement of Purpose (SOP)||Digital Pictures|
|Medical Examination||Educational Documents|
|Tuition Fee (for six months DLI)|
Also Read: Difference Between SDS and Non-SDS
Students must have identity proof, financial proof, passport, educational qualification certificates, offer letters, fee payment receipts and immigration documents.
Students need to pay around CAD 150 for visa application completion.
The full form of DLI is Designated Learning Institute.
We hope the above information regarding Canadian Student Visa is helpful for the students. For more such information students must keep an eye on Leverage Edu. Remember to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin for day-to-day updates.