The first thought that comes to our mind when we read Dental Care is either brushing our teeth or taking an appointment with a dentist. With the awareness of dental hygiene and the rise of various oral health problems, dental graduates are working across various setups like government hospitals, private Dental clinics or conventional operational theatres of dentistry
A dentist is responsible for the proper functioning of all maxillofacial structures including jaws, canine, or molar teeth to the whole skull of humans. Dentists are the go-to person for any problems related to the mouth or gums. A graduate student studies not only the general health of the oral functioning or cavity in their course but implants, extractions, and treatments.
Also Read – Schools in Australia
This Blog Includes:
Why a dental degree in Australia?
Before delving into various degree courses in Australia, let us know why you should take a dental course in Australia, Some of the reasons for the same are –
- Clinical Experience- Taking Dental Education is not only about the formal education we receive, but practical knowledge is also crucial to undertake the dentistry journey. The programs offered by the universities in Australia equip students to take hands-on knowledge and hone their skills.
- Education – The field of Dentistry is in itself a competitive field. And to excel well Australia offers world-class educational program courses that help students get access to the technical know-how and what they need.
- Cultural Diversity and Lifestyle Choices – With a diverse population of students, Australia has bountiful beautiful landscapes, it becomes a global destination for people from different countries of the world to come together and interact with each other.
- Cost of Education -Tuition fees are comparatively cost-effective as compared to other countries. Dentistry Schools in Australia extends some of the lowest tuition fees in the world, allowing easy access to students from any economic background.
Top Universities in Australia – Ranking and Fees
|Name of the University||QS Ranking 2023||Tuition Fees|
|University Of Sydney||19||$ 56,000|
|University of Melbourne||14||$ 52,000|
|University of Adelaide||89||$ 96,000|
|University of Queensland||43||$ 79,000|
|University of Western Australia||72||$ 65,000|
|University of New Castle||110||$ 47,000|
|Griffith University||243||$ 65,000|
|James Cook University||415||$ 75,000|
|Charles Sturt University||801- 850||$ 65,000|
|TAFE NSW||90||$ 13,000 ( For Diploma Course)|
Must Read – Study in Australia
Dentistry degrees in Australia
The Dental degrees that are available in Australia can be segregated as Diploma, Bachelor, and Master’s. They are as follows:-
- Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
- BDS Honours Dental Surgery with a Preliminary year
- BDS Honours Dentistry
- BSc Hons Advanced Dental Nursing
- BSc Oral Health
- BSc Dental Therapy
- Bachelor of Dental Hygiene
- Licence in Dental Surgery (LDS)
- Master of Dentistry
- Oral Science MSc
- MSc Paediatric Dentistry
- MDS Endodontics
- MSc in Endodontology
- Master of Dental Public and Primary Health
- MSc Dental Science for Clinical Practice
- MSc Dental Hygiene
- MSc Clinical Dentistry
- Master of Science in Dental Sciences
- Regenerative Dentistry MSc
- MClinDent Dental Implantology
- MSc Forensic Denistry
- Dental Public Health MSc
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery MSc
- Master of Philosophy Oral Health
- MSc Advanced Restorative Dentistry
- Dentistry – MSc by Research
- Postgraduate Diploma in Dental Technology
- Advanced Diploma in Dentistry
- Advanced Diploma in Dental Hygiene
Eligibility For Dental Degree in Australia
The general eligibility for pursuing a Dental degree is to pass the UKCAT or BMAT tests. The candidate must have a successful interview and an excellent written personal statement. Any Relevant work experience that showcases a genuine interest to pursue the degree. It is also mandatory to pass GRE along with English language proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL etc. Some other documents like SOP, LOR, CV or Resume, and Portfolio are also needed to be submitted for studying in Australian universities.
Although the documents required might vary from different university also depending on the subject choice, some generally required documents are mentioned below-
- Official academic transcript
- Scanned passport copy
- IELTS or TOEFL, required test scores
- Professional or Academic LORs
- Essay (if required)
- Portfolio (if required)
- Updated CV / Resume
- A passport and student visa
- Bank statement
If you’re looking for an education loan to complete your dental degree in Australia, Fly Finance can help you.
Job Prospects or Scope of a Dental Degree
Every aspiring student wants to know about the future course of action that can help the student shape their career path. With an inclination towards working in the area of healthcare, the student is left with diversified career choices. Some of the areas are –
- Pediatric Dentist
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Dental Hygienists
- Clinical Practitioner
- Dental Lab Technician
- Health or Dental Consultant
The major organisations where a person having a degree in dentistry can work could be in research, private clinics, hospitals, governmental organisations or non-governmental organizations, community clinics, etc.
The dentistry industry can expect to start off with an average yearly salary of AUD 86,300, once a student has graduated from dental school. The pay is banked to increase after three years to an average of AUD 105,100. Dentists must complete the formal study before commencing their careers.
Also Read- Dental Courses in India
If a student is taking a direct entry into a double degree Bachelor of Science or a postgraduate degree in Dental Medicines that takes 8-9 years to complete provides the course in 7 years i. e a three-year undergraduate science degree, before taking the four-year Doctor of Dental Medicine.
The tuition fees for Bachelor of Dental Science courses in Australia range from INR 7 lakhs to 51 lakhs. But, almost every university aids with scholarships for international students. The duration of the course varies between universities and ranges from three to seven years.
The visa allowed 5 years for skilled workers in some region as well as their families to live, study and work in Australia. With the completion of 3 years of stay in Australia, a person can apply for PR.
Yes, it is worth becoming a dentist in Australia as the future career prospects are wide and wages are also high for healthcare professionals, such as nurses and doctors. In addition, Australia gives scholarships and aid for professionals to take dentistry as a course.
With the increased demand for oral hygiene and concern for whiter and brighter teeth, the demand for dentists in practice has also increased. And also Australia provides the best opportunities to study dentistry, hence the opportunities are also in demand.
This was all about a Dental degree in Australia. We trust that this blog has covered every significant detail about the universities and the course, fees, and scope. If you are still confused and need to clear your own questions with respect to taking studies abroad? Follow Leverage Edu for more study abroad information.