With the first toothbrush manufactured in China during the 15th century, Dentistry has come a long way in the field of Medical Science. Dental Surgery is one of the most sought-after courses following MBBS, students aspiring for a Master’s degree in this discipline are likely to get a myriad of career opportunities after graduation. Being the only professional and specialized course in dentistry, MDS course concentrates specifically on the oral and dental sections of medical science. Let’s explore everything you need to know about MDS courses, eligibility, popular universities and much more!
Master of Dental Surgery Course Highlights
|Course Name||Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)|
|Eligibility||Undergraduate in related field|
|Employment Areas||Hospitals, Educational Institutions|
This Blog Includes:
- Master of Dental Surgery Course Highlights
- What is a Master of Dental Surgery?
- Responsibilities of Dental Surgeon
- Master of Dental Surgery Eligibility Requirements
- MDS Eligibility Criteria and Entrance Exams
- MDS Syllabus
- Top Colleges for MDS Course in India
- Top Colleges for MDS Course in the World
- Jobs after MDS
- Scope of MDS in India and Abroad
- Skillset Required for MDS Course
- MDS Specialisations
What is a Master of Dental Surgery?
Master of Dental Surgery is a 3-year post-graduate degree that focuses on the study of anatomy and diseases of the teeth. Although it is a 3 year-long program that is pursued after the completion of Bachelors of Dental Surgery (BDS), candidates with a postgraduate diploma can complete their MDS degree within 2 years. In India, the admission process for MDS is conducted by the Dental Council of India (DCI) and most foreign colleges admit students based on merit and academic profile. Opting for higher education in MDS will not only bring you numerous opportunities but will also save your time as the aspirant can focus entirely on the special subjects required for dentistry.
Responsibilities of Dental Surgeon
Although dental surgeons and dentists are similar professions, there are significant differences between them. Dentists usually refer patients with complicated surgeries that require unique evaluations, tools, or pain management techniques to dental surgeons. Consequently, the responsibilities of a dental surgeon are more intricate and require in-depth practical knowledge.
- Extractions: The process of teeth being removed from the jaw is a complicated one that is performed by dental surgeons.
- Implants: The opposite of extractions, implants refer to the insertion of dental prosthetics such as bridges, dentures, crowns, or metal roots.
- Corrective jaw surgery: Also referred to as orthognathic surgery, dental surgeons are responsible for this procedure that fixes any issues in the jaw itself to help realign jaws and teeth, improving their function.
- Facial trauma treatment: Accidental injury in the jaw, dislocated jaws or fractured bones around the jaw is operated under this treatment by a dental surgeon.
- TMJ treatment: TJS that stands for Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction is pain or discomfort caused by issues in the joint connecting the jaw to the skull. Dental surgeons may provide patients with at-home treatments options in these cases.
- Tumour removal: Dental Surgeons are also responsible for the removal of cancerous tumours in or around their mouths.
- Soft tissue removal: To improve the overall oral function of patients, dental surgeons are responsible for soft tissue removal procedures such as gum grafting.
- Anaesthesia administration: Depending on the length, intensity, and expected pain of a procedure, surgeons may also administer anaesthesia to patients.
Also Read: Best Dental Colleges In India
Master of Dental Surgery Eligibility Requirements
In order to pursue a Master’s Degree in Dental Surgery, aspirants are required to fulfil certain eligibility conditions as dental surgery is a highly intricate profession that requires mental and physical competence.
- Indian and foreign colleges have distinctly different eligibility criteria for the admission process.
- In India, aspirants are enrolled after they successfully qualify through the various entrance examinations conducted by the DCI such as NEET MDS, AIIMS MDS, JIPMER MDS, and PGIMER MDS.
- On the other hand, foreign colleges focus on the academic qualification and experience of the applicant.
Eligibility Requirements in India
- He/she must be an Indian citizen. Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) and Persons with Indian Origin (PIOs) are also eligible to take the entrance examination.
- Aspirants need to complete their BDS degree from an institution that is recognized by DCI.
- One should have a provisional or permanent registration certificate issued by DCI or State Dental Council (SDC) by March 31, of the applied academic year.
- Candidates must possess the compulsory rotatory internship of a year which must be approved by DCI.
- Postgraduate dental graduates who can also apply should be of 21 years of age.
- It is mandatory to appear for the entrance exam and secure the NEET MDS cutoff to pass the entrance examination.
MDS Eligibility Criteria and Entrance Exams
In India, aspirants are enrolled after they successfully qualify through the various entrance examinations conducted by the DCI such as NEET MDS, AIIMS MDS, JIPMER MDS, and PGIMER MDS. It is mandatory to appear for the entrance exam and secure the NEET MDS cutoff to pass the entrance examination.
- The MDS course in foreign institutions prolongs for 2-3 years which also includes clinical internships.
- By and large, if you have scored ABB or Better in your A levels (including Biology and Chemistry), you are eligible to apply to almost all dental colleges in Europe.
- As the quality of Central European dentists has an excellent reputation, a majority of students prefer to study MDS courses in that hemisphere.
- Most foreign dental colleges select applicants purely on academic merit and personal statement due to which there is usually no requirement to attend an entrance examination.
- If you are aiming to pursue MDS in a non-English speaking country, you will have to sign an agreement to learn their language as there can be instances where your patient does not speak English.
- This is not an issue during the theoretical semesters but when you have to intern during the fourth semester of your program, you will be expected to communicate in the country’s native language.
Also Read: Dental Courses in India
As a postgraduate course, the MDS syllabus has an advanced framework of Applied Basic Sciences and subjects of concerned speciality. The syllabus of Applied Basic Sciences may vary according to the desired specialization of the aspirant. Other than this, the aspirant is also required to gain adequate knowledge of other medical science subjects that coincides with their respective specialities. Here’s a detailed list of the MDS syllabus that is majorly followed by almost every dental surgery program nationally and internationally.
- Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and Oral Microbiology
- Public Health Dentistry
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Oral Medicine and Radiology
Top Colleges for MDS Course in India
In India, there are 318 dental colleges including private dental colleges, deemed and governmental dental colleges. Out of this, DCI has approved the top 10 dental colleges in India to be:
|Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science||New Delhi|
|Faculty of Dental Sciences King George’s Medical University||Lucknow|
|Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences||Rohtak|
|Nair Dental Colleges and Hospital||Navi Mumbai|
|Faculty of Dental Sciences, Benaras Hindu University||Varanasi|
|Government Dental College and Research Institute||Bangalore|
|Mahatma Gandhi PG Institute of Dental Sciences||Puducherry|
|Governmental Dental College||Kottayam|
|Government Dental College and Hospital||Nagpur|
|Rajah Muthiah Dental College and Hospital||Tamil Nadu|
Also Read: NEET Marks vs Rank
Top Colleges for MDS Course in the World
Here is a list of the top 10 universities for MDS courses that provide the best on the basis of academic reputation, employer reputation, and research impact:
|University of Gothenburg||Sweden|
|University of Michigan – Ann Arbor||USA|
|Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam (ACTA)||Netherlands|
|The University of Hongkong||Hongkong|
|King’s College London||UK|
|Tokyo Medical and Dental University||Japan|
|University of California – San Francisco||USA|
|University of Bern||Switzerland|
Jobs after MDS
From professional job profiles to clinical research interests, achieving a Master’s Degree in Dental Surgery has a plethora of opportunities in the medical industry.
|Designation||Description||Average Salary (INR)|
|General Practitioner||Work independently as an expert in either individual practice or get attached to any clinic to examine, treat, and perform surgery on the patients if needed.||₹ 5,40,000|
|Clinical Research Scientist||Work as a professional in the field of research by working as a clinical research scientist. Research on the different specialization topics of Dental Science to discover newer methods, pathology, treatments, distinguishing factors, method of prevention, intervention, and rehabilitation.||₹ 3,00,000|
|Dental Surgeon||Work is an integral part of any hospital. The main responsibility of any Dental Surgeon would involve observing, examining, and treating dental and oral ailments in-house as well as OPD patients and performing operations accordingly.||₹ 7,50,000|
|Academic Lecturer||Teach bachelor’s and master’s degree students of Dental colleges about the detailed course. Guide them in theory as well as in-depth practical classes. Conduct standard research and get involved in the progress of dental science by contributing to contemporary dental research.||₹ 6,80,000|
Scope of MDS in India and Abroad
Unquestionably, a career in the dental profession has seen an increasing rise due to poor health conditions with several oral addictions. Considering both India and foreign countries, the scope of studying MDS has great value as there is a global deficiency of potent and qualified dental professionals. With such an abundance of interrelated advantages, the scope of the MDS course can be categorized into two main aspects:
- Academic Scope: Earning a doctorate can bring immense benefits and learnings as it is one of the finest academic qualifications. To grow in the field of higher academics, interested dental aspirants can opt to pursue research with subsequent PhD degrees in MDS.
- Professional Scope: After the completion of this postgraduate course, graduates may apply for a professional position in various colleges, hospitals, and organizations. Another highly popular and decent revenue generator aspect is to open your private practice. With the right experience and information, you can grow professionally in both private and public practices efficiently.
Skillset Required for MDS Course
- Ability to work in Dynamic Environment
- Writing skills
- Development skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Research skills
- Medical ethics
- Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthodontics and Oral Medicine
It depends on each student. MDS is much harder than BDS and your journey during MDS will be very different from undergraduate.
MDS is a must after completion of the BDS course. As the awareness is going to increase regarding the further specialities of dentistry and to be well versed in ones can give lots of confidence to candidates.
A total of 6377 MDS seats are available in 259 colleges of India including AIIMS, JIPMER, and PGIMER.
People who have done MDS not just for salary but also it upgrades their career and self-esteem. But after M.D.S. it will take at least 2 to 3 years to practice, till then the profit will be low, so patience is the key to success.
BDS graduates need to start preparing for MDS from the internship level. Also, it is crucial to start learning things during practice.
Do you want to study MDS courses abroad? Get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts who will guide you in applying to dental schools globally. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE 30-minutes session today.