Obtaining a higher level of degree such as a Master’s degree in any field of study is undoubtedly a significant investment, both for time and money. For students holding a bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene, opting for further education in Dental Hygiene can provide them with a great number of career opportunities in various sectors such as education, public health, administration, corporate, and even in the field of research. If you’re planning to pursue further education after your Bachelor’s in Dental Hygiene or Medical Sciences, then you can consider pursuing a Master’s in Dental Hygiene. Here’s everything you need to know about a Master’s in Dental Hygiene.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Pursue a Master’s in Dental Hygiene?
- Universities offering Masters in Dental Hygiene
- Eligibility Requirements
- English Language Requirements
- How to Apply?
- Documents Required for the Application Process
- Cost of Studying
- Career Prospects after a Masters in Dental Hygiene
- Salary Expectations
- Alternative Career Options for graduates of Masters in Dental Hygiene
Why Pursue a Master’s in Dental Hygiene?
- A masters degree in Dental Hygiene allows students to enhance their level of professional confidence and leadership skills through individual study, group project work, teamwork and organizational skills taught throughout the program.
- A masters degree in Dental Hygiene allows students to consider alternate employment settings such as allied healthcare leadership, teaching, Corporate, and self-employment.
- A master’s degree in Dental Hygiene provides graduates with a good salary and allows them to advance their career. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the employment rate of dental hygienists will grow nearly 20% by 2026. Hence, making it an in-demand career option.
Universities offering Masters in Dental Hygiene
Listed below are some of the best universities offering Masters in Dental Hygiene:
|University Name||Course Name|
|University of Alberta, Canada||MSc Dental Hygiene|
|University of Michigan, United States||Dental Hygiene Graduate programMS|
|University of Washington, United States||MS Dental Hygiene|
|Ohio State University, United States||Graduate Program in Dental Hygiene|
|University College London, United Kingdom||Dental Hygiene MSc|
|Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom||Dental Materials MSc|
|University of California, United States||Master of Science in Dental Hygiene b|
|University of Manchester, United Kingdom||Masters of Public Health (Dental Health)|
- The requirements to pursue a Master’s program in Dental Hygiene will vary for different universities. However, general criteria for admission to the program is as mentioned below:
- You must’ve completed an undergraduate bachelor’s degree with a good GPA of at least 3.0 on the 4-point scale or internationally equivalent qualification from an accredited University or Institute in your home country.
- Some universities may ask for at least three years’ of clinical experience post qualification.
English Language Requirements
Proving your English Language Proficiency is one of the major factors contributing to your study journey abroad. The English Language Requirements vary for different universities and countries. Here we’ve mentioned the minimum score requirements to study for a Masters in Dental Hygiene in the following countries:
|UK||6.5 – 7.0||92-100||62-75|
How to Apply?
To apply for admission in a Master’s Program in Dental Hygiene abroad you can reach out to Leverage Edu, we’ll provide you with Student Counsellors who’ll help you start with the application process by selecting your Master’s Course through our trusted AI Course Finder and will then commence with your application procedure at the respective university. Contact us at 1800 572 000 and start with your application process now!
Documents Required for the Application Process
Here’s a list of the necessary documents you’ll need to gather and compile before starting with the application process at the respective university abroad:
- All official academic Transcripts and diplomas if any
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
- TB Test Certificate (UK Universities)
- Financial Evidence
- Portfolio or writing samples if required
Cost of Studying
The cost of studying for a Master’s in Dental Hygiene varies for different universities:
|Country||Average Amount per annum|
|USA||USD 28,000 – USD 44,000
(INR 21,42,070 – INR 33,66,792)
|UK||GBP 19,000 – GBP 40,000
(INR 18,95,599 – INR 39,90,735)
|Canada||CAD 16,000 – CAD 25,000
(INR 9,52,728 – INR 14,90,662)
Career Prospects after a Masters in Dental Hygiene
After pursuing a Master’s in Dental Hygiene and completing the required practical experience, you’re qualified to become a Dental Hygienist. A Dental hygienist is supposed to check patients for oral diseases, such as gingivitis, and provide preventive care, including oral hygiene. A Dental Hygienist is also responsible for educating patients about oral health. With a master’s degree in dental hygiene, you can find job opportunities in various sectors such as
- Dental Colleges
- Private Dental Clinics
- Public Health Administration
- Defence Dental Services
- Corporate Settings
The average salary of a Dental Hygienist in different countries is as mentioned below:
|Country||Average Salary per annum|
|UK||GBP 25,000 – GBP 30,000
(INR 24,94,002 – INR 29,92,802)
Alternative Career Options for graduates of Masters in Dental Hygiene
A master’s degree holder in Dental Hygiene can also opt for the following careers:
- Health Educator
- Pharmacy Technician
- Dental Treatment Coordinator
- Personal Health Trainer
- Dental Office/Clinic Manager
- Clinical Instructor
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Sales representative
- Medical/Dental/Oral Health Writer
It takes around 2-3 years to become a Dental Hygienist in Canada.
University College London has an acceptance rate of 38%.
The duration of the program- MS Dental Hygiene is 2 years in full-time mode.
Are you planning to study for a Masters’s degree abroad? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counseling session today.