From smiling, talking to eating, our mouth plays an important role in our body. Everyone has a smile that is different from anyone else’s and that is what makes us special. So, to keep up with our aesthetics and feel more confident, whenever we feel any oral discomfort, we immediately go to a dentist. And in the course of our treatment, if we have an internal issue in our gums or our teeth, the dentist refers us to an Endodontist. But do you understand who exactly is an Endodontist? So, if you are keen to enter the world of dentistry and achieve a specialization barely done by 3% of the dentists, then, this might the right field for you to explore.
This Blog Includes:
- What is an Endodontics in Dentistry?
- Who is an Endodontist?
- What Procedures do Endodontist Perform?
- Skills Required to be an Endondontist
- How to Become an Endodontist?
- Courses in Endodontics
- Top Universities
- Endodontics Courses in India
- Endodontics Books
What is an Endodontics in Dentistry?
Endodontics is a specialised branch of dentistry that focuses on the morphology, physiology and pathology of the human dental pulp and the tissue around it. Besides this, the field pays attention to diagnosing tooth pain and root canal treatment and other procedures related to the interior of the tooth. In most cases, a diseased tooth can be saved with Endodontic treatment, this is the reason why endodontists proudly call themselves “specialists in saving teeth”.
Who is an Endodontist?
An Endodontist is an expert handling the cause, identification and prevention leading to the treatment of health issues pertaining to the dental pulp. They mostly deal with root canal surgery by removing the nerve and related tissues and replacing them with filling material. Having accomplished a degree in dental surgery, an Endodontist specializes in the interior of the tooth. These dental experts may use advanced technology such as operating ultrasonic and digital imaging and microscopes to treat patients who have decaying or damaged tissues in their teeth.
What Procedures do Endodontist Perform?
Being a specialised arena, it engages on the inside of the teeth, which is where the tooth is actually residing and must be treated accordingly. Endodontists are familiar with how to stabilise and shield the sensitive and vital innards of your teeth. Thus, to understand your job description as an Endodontist, here are a few roles to consider:
- Preserving our natural tooth
- Treating traumatic dental injuries
- Root Canal Surgery
- Endodontic retreatment
- Dental implants
Skills Required to be an Endondontist
- Exceptional manual dexterity
- A keen eye for details in several aspects
- Ability to make quick decisions
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Good hand-eye-coordination
- Critical thinking skills
How to Become an Endodontist?
Being a Medical Science course that pertains to a specialization in the domain of Dental Sciences, there are certain steps that you need to take to begin your journey as a budding Endodontist.
Choosing the Right Education
Primarily endodontists are dentists, however, they have additional completed 2-3 years of speciality training beyond dental school. But at the initial level, aspirants must have completed their 10+2 with subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Biology besides electives like Biotechnology, Psychology, etc. These subjects would provide you with the much-needed push to make a career in Science after 12th. Further, students can opt for a BDS course to grab the foundational knowledge in Endodontics and then specialise in Dental Sciences.
After receiving the DMD or DDS designation, the final step is to become licensed to practice dental medicine. Once you have cleared the clinical examination, as administered by the concerned authority, you become a board-certified Endodontist.
Grab an Experience
Experience is the key to become a dental specialist, so, till the time you are not well versed and do not have the mandatory expertise, work in collaboration with other specialists and gather professional experience. Once you are equipped with the practical knowledge, you are good to grow as an Endodontist. Moreover, being a highly delicate domain where specialised techniques are used to ensure patients are thoroughly comfortable during their treatments, Endodontists should have incredible precision and hand-eye coordination.
Getting a Job or Opening Your Own Clinic
Most of the people who are working in the field of Medical Science have a dream to own a clinic of their own. So, with the right set of skills by your side, accelerate your career avenues and get on board with your dream job or open a clinic of yours.
Courses in Endodontics
- Dentistry, Master of Science in (M.S.D.) with a Concentration in Endodontics
- Clinical Dentistry (Endondontology) (MClinDent)
- Master of Dental Surgery of Edondontology
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry Major in Endodontics
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry
- PG Diploma in Clinical Dentistry
- DClinDent Endodontics
- MSc Endodontics
- MS in Dentistry (Endodontics)
- MClinDent Endondontology
- MSc Endodontics
- Cardiff University
- Queen Mary University of London
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- University of Glasgow
- University of Liverpool
- The University of Hong Kong
- Saint Louis University
- University of Queensland
- University of Otago
- University of Sheffield
Endodontics Courses in India
Here is a list of top Endodontics courses offered by the Indian institutes-
- PGD in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics by Dr NTR University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada
- PGD Endodontic by Singhania University, Jhunjhunu
- PG Diploma in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics by AJ Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
- PG Diploma in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics by Vokkaligara Sangha Dental College and Hospital, Bengaluru
- Post Graduate Diploma in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics by KLRs Lenora Institute of Dental Sciences, Rajanagarm
- PGD Conservative Dentistry by VS Dental College and Hospital, Bengaluru
- PG Diploma in Conservative Dentistry by DA Pandu Memorial RV Dental College and Hospital, Bangalore
- Clinical Approaches in Endodontic Regeneration by Henry F. Duncan, Paul Roy Cooper
- Endodontics- Principles and Practice by Mahmoud Torabinejad DMD MSD PhD, Ashraf Fouad DDS MS, Shahrokh Shabahang
- Post Endodontic Restoration- Sandeep Dubey, Sushil Landge, Others
- Endodontic Microsurgery by Khushboo Goyal
- Single File System in Endodontics by Amrutha Sathianath
- Nickel Titanium File Systems In Endodontics by Dr Amrutha Sathianath
- Glide Path in Endodontics by Anil Dhingra, Neetika Bhardwaj
- Treatment of Endodontic Infections by Jose F. Siqueira Jr.
- Pocket Atlas of Endodontics by Rudolf Beer, Michael A. Baumann, Andrej M. Kielbasa
- PDQ Endodontics by John I. Ingle
BONUS SECTION [Other Medical Science Courses]
- Medical Courses – Top Colleges, Scope and Average Salary
- High Salary Courses after 12th Science
- Medical Courses without NEET
- Alternative Medicine Courses
With the advancement in technology, endodontists have equipment designed to make patient’s treatment more comfortable and successful. It becomes imperative for these professionals to be recognised for the role they play. If dental sciences and surgery are your areas of interest, then, becoming an Endodontist would refine your skills and brush up your potential to equip you with the right set of knowledge. Need help in choosing the right place to kickstart your professional career? Talk to our experts at Leverage Edu and make your dream come true.