One of the popular language proficiency tests, the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) is widely accepted by top-notch universities across the globe. Organized by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) which is also the conducting authority for GRE. While registering for TOEFL via phone call, mail, or online route, there is a multitude of factors that an aspirant must consider. This blog elucidates upon the TOEFL registration process, documents requirement, and fee-related components.
This Blog Includes:
When to Register for TOEFL?
TOEFL exams are conducted frequently throughout the year. But the student must plan ahead and register beforehand as the seats fill out quickly. Therefore, you must consider the following factors before beginning your TOEFL registration:
- Go through your chosen university or institution’s academic calendar and compare it with the test dates to have a rough idea about when you would like to take the test.
- You need to start with your TOEFL registration about 4 months prior to the test.
- Students can pick the date 2-3 months prior to the test day.
TOEFL Registration Fees
Before moving towards the details of the TOEFL registration process, let’s first understand the test fees and other details you must know. Take a look at the different fee amounts for various factors under the TOEFL registration process.
|TOEFL Registration Fee for Indian Candidates||190$ [14,086 INR]|
|Fee Charged for Late Registrations||40$ [3,060 INR]|
|Rescheduling Fee||60$ [4,590 INR]|
|Additional Score Report||20$ [1,530 INR]|
|Reinstatement of Cancelled Scores||20$ [1,530 INR]|
|Speaking or Writing Review||80$ [6,120 INR]|
|Speaking and Writing Review||160$ [12,230 INR]|
|Returned Payment||20$ [1,530 INR]|
Note: These are approximate charges. It can vary based on the Region and USD to INR conversion rates.
These payments can be made using credit/debit card, e-check or PayPal. Make sure that you are using a VISA card to make the payments and that your card has been approved for international payments. Do not forget to enter the amount in USD itself.
The ID requirements generally vary depending upon the country. Also, for your ID document, it is essential that it is original, valid (for passport) and must have your full name, photograph as well as signature on it. Your passport is the only valid ID for Indian test-takers carrying out their TOEFL registration. Any international license or student ID will not be accepted.
How to Register for TOEFL Online?
Now that you are familiarized with the fee and ID requirements, we have described the TOEFL registration process in the following pointers to help you further understand the procedure of booking the test slot.
1. Visit the official website of TOEFL and click on the “test-takers” tab.
2. Register as a new user and create an account with the correct personal and e-mail related details.
3. Then, you can go ahead and select the exam date as per your convenience to give your TOEFL test.
4. After the test date, select the test centre nearest to you after which you will be redirected to the payment gateway.
5. Submit the registration fee amount of 180$ (for Indian students) through debit or credit card, e-check or PayPal.
6. Once your payment is accepted, you will get an acknowledgement receipt which you must download for future references.
Check Out: IELTS Registration
Offline Methods of TOEFL Registration
To register for your TOEFL exam whether in-person, mail or on-call, it is important that you must have all the key details with yourself to make the whole process easier. These details are your name, address, date of birth, e-mail, fee amount, amongst others.
By Phone Call
Before beginning your TOEFL registration on call, you must download the registration form available at the official site and go through it. You must have your credit/debit cards by your side and it is important that you must register seven days before your test date.
TOEFL Registration number for Indian test-takers: 91-124-4147700
Download the registration form given on the website and take a print out of the same. Fill the form with correct details, putting the right credentials as given in your ID, and then send the form along with the payment to the address (provided on the website for the nearest TOEFL centre). Make sure that your mail is received at least four weeks before the TOEFL exam date.
TOEFL Test Centres in India
There are 39 cities in which TOEFL exams are organised in India and some of them are: Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, Coimbatore, Vijayawada, Delhi, Fatehpur, Bhopal, Gandhinagar, Greater Noida, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Jabalpur, Allahabad, Jalandhar, Kolkata, Cochin, Nizamabad, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Madurai, Indore, Mumbai, Jaipur, Mussoorie, Mysore, Nashik, Pune, Guindy, Patna, Chennai, Ranchi, Secunderabad, Surat, Trivandrum, Udaipur, Panjim, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam and Dehradun.
Things to Keep in Mind
- This is a time-consuming task hence you must make sure that you spare enough time to fill out the form. Any discrepancy will cost you more time and money to fix it.
- You will be using your TOEFL account for your TOEFL registration, viewing scores, and sending your scores to various institutions. Therefore, be careful while setting up the credentials for it.
- Keep your passport handy while filling out the form.
- Make sure that you enter details as per the information provided in your passport.
- You’ll need a soft copy of your passport size picture.
- There will be many questions regarding demographics so answer them carefully. This information helps ETS to provide you with prospective schools.
- Check for details like location and traffic status around your test timing before choosing your test centre to ensure that you reach their hassle-free.
- In case you enter any detail incorrectly while creating the account, that can be corrected before the TOEFL registration. For any corrections after the registration, you would have to go through the process all over again and create a new ID. You would have to get in touch with ETS to cancel the previous registration.
The ETS has also specified the following details for the refund policy regarding TOEFL registration:
- You are entitled to a 50% of the registration fee refund if you withdraw your application within the 4 days deadline.
- If you get to know that ETS has cancelled the test after reaching the test centre then you are entitled to a 100% refund in case you don’t wish to reschedule.
- If ETS cancels your test administration or scores after you have given the test then you will get a 100% refund and some portion of your travel expenses, if incurred. ( It had to be properly documented). This can be processed within 30 days of the exam.
- ETS doesn’t deal with any cash refunds.
Recommended Read: TOEFL Speaking Topics
For Indian test-takers, the TOEFL registration fee is 190$ [roughly 14,086 INR]. While the fee amounts and charges for additional requirements include,
Fee Charged for Late Registrations: 40$ [roughly 3060 INR]Rescheduling fee: 60$ [roughly 4590 INR]Reinstatement of cancelled scores: 20$ [roughly 1530 INR]Additional score report: 20$ [roughly 1530 INR] per report
Speaking or Writing review: 80$ [roughly 6120 INR]Speaking and Writing review: 160 [roughly 12,230 INR
Returned Payment: USD 20 [roughly 1530 INR]
You can register for the TOEFL exam either online or through offline methods like on-call, mail or in-person. To apply for TOEFL online, you must visit the official website, create an account and begin your registration. While for offline methods, you must follow the aforementioned procedure along with keeping all the documents handy to facilitate an easy registration process.
Yes, TOEFL is conducted online at varied test centres in India and across the globe.
You need to ensure that you have gathered all the documents as well as filled the correct details during the TOEFL registration process. You must keep in mind that these details are reviewed against your college application or visa application. Any major discrepancy might lead to strict action from ETS. Also, make sure that you finish this before you start preparing for the exam, so that you can plan accordingly. If you are gearing up for English proficiency tests, sign up for an e-meeting with our Leverage Edu experts and let us guide you through the exam preparations, thus helping you achieve the required score to get into your dream university.