Funded by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, the Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship 2021 is offered to candidates belonging to scheduled castes and scheduled tribes. Offered by the UGC, Candidates belonging to SC, ST communities who wish to pursue regular and full-time M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees in Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Engineering & Technology can avail of this scholarship.
|Scholarship Scheme Name||Rajiv Gandhi National FellowshipScholarship Scheme|
|Provided by||UGC (University Grants Commission)|
|Conducting Body||Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment for Scheduled Caste &Ministry of Tribal Affairs for Scheduled Tribe|
|Purpose||Scheduled Caste & Scheduled Tribe candidates applying for regular and full-time M.Phil. and PhD degrees in Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering & Technology|
|Total number of Scholarships||2000 for SC and 667 for ST candidates|
|Last Date for Submission of RGNF Application||Last Week of July 2021|
|Contact Details||University Grants Commission (UGC)
Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg
ITO Metro Gate Number 3
New Delhi, Delhi 110002
This Blog Includes:
Also Read: Swarna Jayanti Fellowship: Application and Results
Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship Eligibility
To be offered the GC RGNF, students have to fulfill certain criteria, namely:
- The candidates should have passed their PG examination in their relevant subject and must pursue full-time research without JRF of UGC-NET or UGC-CSIR NET.
- Candidates applying for this scholarship have to belong to the SC/ST category.
- Candidates must get registered for the M.Phil./Ph.D not later than a period of 2 years from the receipt of the award letter.
- Candidates register as regular students in University/Institute/Colleges recognized by UGC under Section 2 (f) of the UGC Act/ICAR.
- Candidate belongs to the transgender category are also eligible.
Also Read: Scholarships to Study Abroad
Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship Important Dates
Here are the tentative dates of the Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship:
|Online submission of
application form start date
|1st week of July 2021|
|Last date to Apply||Last week of July 2021|
|Beginning of documents verification||3rd week of July 2021|
|Releasing of merit list||August 2021|
|Allocation of financial support||September 2021|
Nature of the Scheme
Listed below are some of the important details of the scheme:
- Annually, there are about 2000 slots for SC candidates and over 667 vacant slots for ST candidates for all the subjects.
- Under the RGNF scheme, the tenure of this fellowship is 2 years. By the end of this fellowship, the fellow work will be reviewed by a Committee of three members -Head of the Department, Supervisor and one outside subject expert to be constituted by the concerned Department of the /University/Institution/College.
- The tenure may be extended for a period of three years if the research work is seen to be satisfactory.
- Only scholarships/fellowships done under UGC will be taken into consideration. If the work is found to be unsatisfactory or if the candidate fails, then the scholarship may be withdrawn.
- If within the first year of the scholarship, the work is not found to be satisfactory, then an additional year will be given for improvement.
- During the Mphil fellowship, the candidates will be given a scholarship for a period upto 2 years or uptill the date of dissertation.
- The PhD fellows will be paid the amount for a period of 5 years or till the date of viva.
Check Out: Humboldt Fellowship
|Name of the fellowship||Amount of scholarship||Subjects|
|Fellowship in Science, Humanities
and Social Science
|Rs. 16,000/- per month for the initial two years
Rs. 18,000/- per month for remaining tenure
|Contingency A||Rs. 10,000/- p.a. for the initial two years
Rs. 20,500/- p.a. for remaining tenure.
|Humanities &Social Sciences|
|Contingency B||Rs. 12,000/- p.a. for the initial two years
Rs. 25,000/- p.a. for remaining tenure
|Science, Engg. &Technology|
|Departmental Assistance||Rs. 3000/-p.a. per student to the host
institution for providing infrastructure
|Escorts/Reader assistance||Rs. 2000/- per month in cases of physically
handicapped & blind candidates
|HRA||As per rules of the University/ Institutions||All Subjects|
Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship Selection Process
- Selections for the RGNF are determined on the basis of merit and in accordance with the Commission’s processes. The Commission examines and chooses the applications that are submitted. The Commission’s decision determines the final selection. The Commission has the authority to withdraw/cancel the award for any reason.
- Following these procedures, the supervisor/head of the department will sign the candidate’s Joining Report. It will then be forwarded to the UGC by the Registrar/Director/Principal.
- On receipt of the Joining Report and other relevant papers, the first-year admissible grant is released. Otherwise, the relevant university will be notified and the grant will be released.
- This award is made possible by monies authorized by the Commission for this purpose. Following that, the fellows may obtain the funds from the institutions/banks after receiving the UGC approval/award letter.
- Other expenditures incurred as a result of the grants paid by the Commission are in accordance with the regulations. The fellowship payments will be made straight into the beneficiaries’ bank accounts.
Candidates must provide a scanned copy of all required papers with their application. The following is a list of required documents for applying for the Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship.
- Applicant’s caste certificate issued by the competent authority (in PDF, JPG, GIF format)
- Specific handicapped certificate, if required
- Postgraduation mark sheet in PDF/JPG/GIF format
- Certificate from the Head of the Department/Institution stating that the necessary facilities will be provided by the College/University/Institution in case the candidates get selected for this fellowship
How to Apply
Following are the step-by-step instruction to apply for the Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship scholarship scheme:
- Step 1: Candidates have to visit the official website to apply for the scholarship. https://www.ugc.ac.in/rgnf/
- Step 2: At the top of the home page you will find an apply now link. Click on it.
- Step 3: Candidates have to fill in personal entails such as domicile, caste category, name, nationality, parent’s/guardian’s name, contact details, etc. after that click on save and continue.
- Step 4: After that, the candidates have to mention their educational details after which they have to proceed to the scholarship details and employment details.
- Step 5: After entering the details candidates can review their documents and click to continue for declaration.
- Step 6: Candidates have to carefully read the declaration and then click on agree. Candidates must take a print-out and save it for further use.
Candidates will find the online application form on the UGC Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship Scholarship Scheme portal. registration has to be done online. The applications for this scholarship are invited only once a year. Given below are some of the points applicants must remember whilst fill the form.
- Candidates must get themselves registered in the online portal.
- Candidates must fill the form before/on the last date and no further extension will be given.
- Candidates have to provide their official mobile number and email ID to get the details and updates regarding the test.
- The name in the form should be the same as mentioned in the class 10 certificate.
Must Read: Top Fellowship Programs in 2021
The Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship, or RGNF, is a government project. It provides financial assistance to SC and ST candidates pursuing full-time M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees.
No, the RGNF scheme is open to only Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribe category candidates.
The degrees can be pursued in Science, Humanities, Social Sciences, Engineering, and Technology streams.
There are 2000 seats available for SC applicants and 667 seats available for ST candidates. However, 3% of fellowships are allocated for PH applicants from SC categories.
The last date for submitting the RGNF application is the last week of July 2021
This is where we conclude our blog on Rajiv Gandhi Fellowship 2021. Want to apply for scholarships abroad? Book a free session for guidance with our experts at Leverage Edu and we will help you find the best scholarship that suits your course and university preferences.