We understand how important scholarships, education loans and fellowships can be for the students and therefore we have brought you the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships. These are designed for Indian scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution. These fellowships are for 6 – 9 months. We have provided all the information you will need to apply for this fellowship. Read ahead to know more –
This Blog Includes:
Benefits of the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships
The benefits of this fellowship include the following categories –
- J-1 visa support
- A monthly stipend
- Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines
- Round-trip economy class air travel
- Applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees
- Selected scholars will also have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the U.S.
- No allowances are provided for dependents.
Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship: Important Dates
The applicants should be aware of the deadlines and other important dates related to the scholarship and hence we have provided them here for you –
|Application due date for 2022-2023 awards||July 15, 2021|
|Application review for short-listing||Early August 2021|
|USIEF informs the applicants about outcome||Early September 2021|
|National interviews of short-listed candidates||Late September 2021|
|USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees. Nominees take TOEFL||End September 2021|
|USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement||November 2021|
|USIEF notifies finalists||March/April 2022|
|Program begins||August/September 2022|
How to Apply
We have provided a step by step process walk through for the benefit of the applicants below –
- Applications have to submit online here
- Review the instructions provided before starting your online application.
- Please refer to the FNDR Applicant Checklist before submitting the application.
- The applicant must complete and upload the documents on the application. You can refer to them here – FNDR Applicant Annexure and FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form
- Keep checking to know the finalists and if you have been selected.
- PhD Scholarships in India
- PhD Scholarships in UK
- PhD Scholarships
- QS Scholarships for UG, PG and PhD Courses
- PhD Abroad With Scholarships For Indian Students
Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship: Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility is an important thing that should be taken into consideration while applying for the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship and hence we have provided the criteria below –
- In addition to the General Prerequisites the applicant should have done adequate research in the relevant field and the U.S. Applicant must be registered for Ph.D. at an Indian institution on or before November 2, 2020.
- In the online application form one of the recommendation letters should be from the Ph.D. supervisor that comments on applicants’ research, need for the fellowship and must indicate the Ph.D. registration date and topic.
- The expected Ph.D. thesis submission date should at least be 3 months after the Fulbright-Nehru grant end date.
- Please indicate the Ph.D. registration date and the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date in the Applicant Annexure. The applicant can download it from the USIEF website
- Employed applicants should follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form.
- The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. The applicant can download the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form from the website.
- The applicant should upload a copy of original published/presented paper or extracts from the Masters‘/M.Phil. thesis on the online application form (not exceeding 20 pages).
Fields for Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship
The fields that come under the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship are given in the list below –
- Agricultural Sciences
- Computer Science (including but not limited to cyber security, digital economy, quantum computing, artificial intelligence, machine learning and big data analytics)
- Education Policy and Planning
- Energy Studies
- Geography (including GIS and Geology)
- Language and Literature
- Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications)
- Mathematical Sciences
- Performing Arts
- Political Science (including but not limited to International Security and Strategic Studies)
- Public Health
- Public Policy
- Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management)
- Visual Arts
- Women’s and Gender Studies.
Instructions for the Applicants
There are some important instructions for the applicants below. These should be taken care of while applying for the fellowship –
- These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research. Applicants with Ph.D. degrees or those at the final stage of Ph.D. thesis submission will not be considered.
- You can apply for only 1 Fulbright-Nehru fellowship category during a competition cycle.
- Candidates cannot apply for Fulbright-Nehru and Fulbright-Kalam grants in the same academic year.
- Plagiarism in the application is not allowed and will lead to disqualification of the candidate.
- Fulbright-Nehru applications are to be submitted online unless specified otherwise by the authorities.
- Applications received after the deadline will NOT be considered.
- Extensions and Transfer of visa sponsorship will not be permitted.
This was all about the Fulbright Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowship. You can also read about other scholarships and fellowships as well. If you need help with the admission or application process in your favorite university our experts are always happy to help you through it with their step by step process walk through and guidance through it. Check out Leverage Edu for more.