A Doctorate of Philosophy or PhD in Physics is a natural science course that involves the study of laws of nature and matter. This doctoral program generally runs for 3-years but the course duration may vary from one university to another. Being an interdisciplinary field, the knowledge gained while pursuing PhD in Physics can be put to use in other fields like nuclear sciences, astronomy, Electronics, etc. This doctoral program provides with you an array of areas to specialize in. Some of which are Biophysics, Nanomaterials, Robotics, Semiconductors, Kinetics, Advanced Thermodynamics, Condensed Matter Physics, Artificial Intelligence, Photonics, Quantum Mechanics, Ferromagnetic Materials, and Nuclear Physics. This blog aims to elaborate the various essentials of a PhD in Physics including the eligibility criteria, syllabus and top universities to pursue this course from.
Before detailing the central features of a PhD in Physics, let us understand the skills required to ace in this field:
- Strong Research Skills: As a PhD student, you will be required to define a problem, identify its sources and look for probable solutions.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking Skills: Having an analytical attitude, you will be able to easily comprehend large volumes of data, evaluate and defend the topics, approach problems systematically, and draw conclusions.
- Leadership and Interpersonal Skills: From conducting meetings and collaborating on new projects to mentoring students and colleagues, a candidate pursuing PhD in Physics will have to put these skills to effective use.
- Project Management and Organizational Skills: Conducting research work at the doctoral level is a tedious process as you will be required to complete many projects in tandem. It thus becomes important to identify goals, set realistic targets, and work towards achieving the goals.
- Excellent Written and Verbal Communication Skills: As a doctorate student, you will be required to share complex research findings in a concise way through poster presentations, research papers, conference talks, and teaching. Having a strong grasp over language will assist in writing detailed thesis and reports and presenting them to scholars across the globe.
The admission process for enrolling in a doctoral program in physics is very holistic. The candidate not only has to satisfy the eligibility requirements but should also have a good number of quality research papers and patents. Even though the eligibility criteria to pursue a PhD in English differs from one university to another, there are some common requirements accepted across most of the higher educational institutes:
- The candidates should hold an M.Sc. or M.Phil. degree in Physics or Material Science.
- They must have secured 60 % or the equivalent.
- A valid score in English Proficiency tests like TOEFL or IELTS is required.
Career Prospects After PhD in Physics
A PhD in Physics degree opens an array of career opportunities in both India and abroad. You can work in government and private organizations in various roles. Below mentioned are some of the most suitable job profiles you can work in :
- Scientific or Technical Writer
- Patent Attorney
- Nuclear Engineer
- Consulting Physicist
- Research Scientist
- Medical Science Liasion
- Intellectual Property Rights Professional
- Data analyst
- Radiation protection Practitioner
- Telecommunications researcher
If not the generic fields, a PhD in Physics degree holder can also work in some alternative, non-Academic work profiles like:
- Market Research Analyst
- Intelligence Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
- Venture Capitalist
- Healthcare Information Specialist
- Operations Research Analyst
Where to Study PhD in Physics?
Here is a list of some of the universities offering a PhD in Physics :
- Princeton University
- University of California Berkley
- University of Cambridge
- University of Tokyo
- University of Oxford
- Cornell University
- University of Chicago
- California Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
We thus have familiarised you with the important details regarding PhD in Physics. If you have a university in mind but are not sure about how to get started with the admission process then don’t worry. You can contact Leverage Edu. The counsellors and mentors will help you browse through the best universities and help you secure an admission in the institute of your choice.