“The main aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but also their inward significance”- Aristotle
With the diversification of choices and new courses coming up, one has a lot to choose from. Now, even if you like sketching and painting more than maths and science, you can pursue your higher education in Fine Arts. This has enabled students from various backgrounds to chase their passion and establish a career in what they love!
Since Fine Arts is not yet a celebrated degree to pursue in India, you may have a hard time to find a good school for the same. Therefore, one perfect alternative is the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA).
Founded in 1938, The Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts is well-known in Southeast Asia for its academic excellence based on the innovative syllabus and teaching methods along with its varied artistic creations. It is a top-notch arts education institutions in Singapore. Furthermore, it is a government-funded arts school, located beside the Bencoolen MRT Station.
- NAFA gets polytechnic-level funds from the Ministry of Education, Singapore.
- It is the first complete arts education school to receive the coveted 4-year EduTrust certification awarded by the Committee for Private Education in the year 2011.
- The Academy provides a diverse range of full-time diploma courses and conducts degree programs in association with famous universities from Singapore and the United Kingdom.
- Lectures are delivered by a faculty of diligent academics and top arts practitioners from all over the world while maintaining a low student-to-teacher ratio.
- The institute has coached 14 Young Artist Award recipients, 13 Cultural Medallion awardees, which is Singapore’s highest honour for arts practitioners who have made a noticeable impact in arts and culture.
- As an exemplary initiative to involve people from all ages into arts education, The School of Young Talents is an arts academy that offers weekend courses in art, dance, drama and music for 4 to 18-year-olds. For grown-ups, the Centre for Lifelong Education provides enrichment courses and part-time certificate programs.
- NAFA is divided into three schools namely, The School of Art and Design, The School of Music and The School of Arts Management, Dance and Theatre.
- The vision of NAFA is – “To be the art institution of choice in Singapore and a premier art institution in Asia, producing leaders in their fields.”
Courses in the following spheres are available at the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts:-
- 3D Design
- Arts Management
- Design and Media
- Fine Art
- Fashion Studies
- NAFA boasts about its four campuses along Bencoolen Street. Every campus is just a stone’s throw away from the other.
- Campus one is further divided into two wings, Wing A and Wing B. These two wings are connected with a linking bridge.
- The first campus is equipped with a creative media studio for 3D animation and special effects, a High Definition Studio, and audio-video production facilities for the students.
- A double storey library is situated at Wing A in campus one. It has an excellent collection of arts-related publications and journals available for staff and students and members only.
- Campus two houses workshops for textile development, batik printing and embroidery design, drafting and draping among many other facilities.
- Talking about campus three, there is a 380 person capacity theatre. The school’s famous Studio Theatre is situated here as well. Other facilities comprise of a Recital Hall, soundproof Music Studios and Dance Studios.
- The campus four is latest and was built in 2017. This new campus boasts facilities such as state-of-the-art studios and classrooms, helping the academy’s previous space deficit.
A notable fact about NAFA is that as of 1 November 2017, 95% of students graduated from NAFA were employed within three months after their graduation completed. Students passed-out from NAFA earn a gross monthly starting salary of S$2,000 (median) for diploma graduates and S$2,500 (median) for degree graduates in full-time jobs.
Also, Students with the outstanding academic record and an exceptional track of achievements in related arts fields may apply for NAFA’s in-house Scholarships. For more information about scholarships and grants click here. In addition to this, NAFA has appointed overseas education coaches who provide course guide and application services to foreign students. Countries with NAFA overseas education counsellors include India, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and South Korea.
NAFA leads the movement for the development of arts education in Singapore and throughout the world. Therefore, if you wish to study in a world-class school of fine arts then NAFA should be on the top of your list and if you still have any doubts regarding this esteemed college, call a Leverage Edu expert today!