Do you want to serve society and make a difference in this world? Social Policy looks into the ways in which societies distribute resources and develop services to meet individual and social needs. If you want to gain a deep understanding to make necessary changes to meet the needs of world societal issues, then an MA in Social Policy is the perfect choice for you. An MA in Social Policy will provide you with a critical perspective on social services. Read on to know more.
This Blog Includes:
MA Social Policy is a 1-2 year graduate program that focuses on a range of social issues, such as poverty, homelessness, crime, health, gender and economic inequalities. In this program, you will be taught about the underlying causes and ways to address specific social issues. The program enables students to develop and assess a range of skills, required to pursue leading positions in various fields.
The syllabus for Social Policy will be different for different universities but the common subjects taught in this program in India are:
- Law, Governance and Institution
- Public Finance and Administration
- Political Philosophy for Public Policy
- Policy Action
- Social and Cultural Theory
- Economics for Public Policy
The following universities in India have the best Social Policy or related courses:
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- Mumbai University, Mumbai
- Adamas University, Kolkata
- OP Jindal Global University, Sonipat
- MSRUAS, Bangalore
Must Read: Study MA Criminology in India and Abroad
Here is a list of some of the best universities offering Social Policy or related courses:
|University of York||UK|
|University of Birmingham||UK|
|University College London||UK|
|University of Oxford||UK|
|Liverpool Hope University||UK|
|University of Leeds||UK|
|University of Pennsylvania||USA|
|University of Calgary||Canada|
|University of British Columbia||Canada|
|University of Victoria||Canada|
The entry requirements will vary for different universities as mentioned above. However, a general criterion for admission is as mentioned:
- You must have obtained a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 60-70% in a related discipline such as Political Science, Sociology, Public policy etc.
- You must prove your English Language proficiency through IELTS, TOEFL or PTE
English Language Requirements
Listed below are the minimum IELTS score requirements for pursuing an MA Social Policy abroad:
|USA||7.0 and above||90-100||50|
|UK||6.0 and above||80-92||54 and above|
|Canada||6.5 and above||85-93||50 and above|
How to Apply?
You can make the complicated admission process easy by reaching out to Leverage Edu:
- We will help you select your MA Social Policy course through our trusted AI Course Finder.
- Experts at Leverage Edu will then start with your application process at the respective university.
- Documents such as SOPs, Essays, LORs and IELTS, TOEFL etc. are an important part of your university application. So you’ll have to gather and compile all the necessary documents.
- Experts at Leverage Edu will then start with the application process for accommodation, student visas, and scholarships/student loans after submitting your application and the required documents.
- The time has come to wait for your offer letter which usually takes around 4-6 weeks.
Here’s a list of the documents required for pursuing an MA in Social Policy at any of the above-mentioned universities:
- All official academic Transcripts and diplomas if any
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
- TB Test Certificate for UK Universities
- Financial Evidence
- Portfolio or writing samples if required
Cost of Studying
The cost of pursuing an MA Social Policy abroad will vary for different countries and universities. However, the average cost of studying in different countries is as mentioned below:
|Country||Average Tuition Fees per annum||In INR|
|USA||USD 30,110||INR 24 Lakh|
|UK||GBP 12,500||INR 12 Lakh|
|Canada||CAD 15,500||INR 9-10 Lakh|
After graduating with a degree in MA Social Policy, you can either pursue a PhD or work in a variety of sectors. You can work in both the government and private sectors while being equipped with a variety of skills (mentioned below) learnt during the course:
- Analytical skills
- A sympathetic approach to the problems and interests of others
- Communication and interactive skills
- Ability to handle complex social situations
MA Social policy is a program which opens doors to a wide variety of career opportunities. This includes working in various sectors such as charity/NGO organizations, teaching, social work etc.
A lot of social policy graduates find employment in various government and private positions such as
- Civil Services
- Human Resources
Must Read: List of Humanities Subjects
The salary for a graduate with an MA in Social Policy varies for different roles. However, your earning potential can also increase with the right amount of experience. The average salary for those with this degree is USD 56,176 i.e. INR 45 Lakh.
You must have obtained a bachelor’s degree in related fields such as Political science, sociology etc. to pursue MA Social Policy.
University of Oxford
University of Leeds
MA Social Policy is a 1-2 year-long graduate program.
Are you planning to study Social Policy abroad? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counselling session today.