LLM or Master of Law is a postgraduate law degree that is recognised around the world. Students who wish to pursue further studies in Law after a bachelor’s degree in law or LLB can opt for LLM in their respective choice of area. If you’re someone who wants to pursue a career in Athletic Laws, then you’re at the right place. LLM in sports law could be the right choice for you. Read the whole blog to know more about LLM in Sports Law.
|Master of Law||LLM|
|Job Roles||Sports Lawyer, Contract attorneys, Counsels for sports organizations, Professional Athlete Representative, Professional Sports Team Representative, Sports Arbitrator, State Agency Sports Law Attorney|
Here’s everything you need to know about Law
This Blog Includes:
- What is LLM in Sports Law?
- Why Study LLM in Sports Law?
- Universities offering LLM in Sports Law
- Admission Requirements
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Cost of Study
- Online Course- Sheffield Hallam University
- Career Prospects- LLM in Sports Law
What is LLM in Sports Law?
LLM in Sports Law is a postgraduate law degree that provides students with extensive knowledge and understanding of athletics laws, legal issues, global sports law, business law, worldwide sports organizations and competitions, sports in society, contract law, and sensitive topics related to the sports field such as discrimination, illegal gambling, corruption, drug and steroid abuse, and game manipulation.
Why Study LLM in Sports Law?
- You’ll get to learn about the UK, European and international laws and regulations regarding sport, and understand how sport has become an important business in today’s time.
- The degree is internationally recognised so no matter which part of the world you choose to stay in after completing your LLM, your degree will always stand by your side.
- The job opportunities after pursuing LLM in Sports Law is astonishing as the demand for appropriately qualified sports lawyers and managers is high.
Universities offering LLM in Sports Law
|Nottingham Trent University||Sports Law- LLM||United Kingdom|
|Universidad Europea||International Master’s in Sports Law – LLM||Spain|
|Marquette University||LL.M. in Sports Law for Foreign Lawyers||United States|
|University of Miami||LLM in Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law||United States|
To study LLM in Sports Law, you must be first able to meet the eligibility criteria set by the respective university. Mentioned below is the eligibility criteria for the above-mentioned universities:
Nottingham Trent University- Sports Law LLM
- Bachelor’s in Law (LLB) with grades of 55% (2.1), 50% (2.2) from the University of Delhi.
- Bachelors in Law (LLB) with grades of 60% (2.1), 55% (2.2) from other recognised universities in India
English Language Requirements
To prove your English Language Proficiency at Nottingham Trent University, you’ll have to provide scores mentioned in the table below:
Join Leverage Live to score High in English Language Tests such as IELTS TOEFL PTE
|IELTS||7.5 with a minimum of 7.5 in each component|
|PTE||73 overall with 73 in each component.|
|TOEFL iBT||107 overall with at least 27 in Reading, 27 in Listening, 24 in Speaking and 29 in Writing|
Nottingham Trent University also accepts Higher Secondary Certificate (Standard XII) awarded by CBSE, ISC and select State Boards with 70/100 (70%) or 160/200 (80%) as an alternative for English Language Proficiency. A degree from one of the following universities:
- The University of Mumbai
- The University of Delhi
- The University of Calcutta
- The University of Bangalore
- Savitribai Phule Pune University
- University of Chennai/Madras
- Anna University
- Osmania University
- The University of Goa
Universidad Europea- International Master’s in Sports Law – LLM
- You should have a good command of English
- A bachelor’s degree in law is required
- You’ll have to pass an interview intended to assess your profile and further acceptance in the program. The admission test consists of the following:
- Skills and abilities test
- General knowledge test
- Language assessment test
- Personal interview
Marquette University- LL.M. in Sports Law for Foreign Lawyers
You must hold a bachelor of laws degree (LL.B.) or comparable first degree in law from a non-U.S. law school, college or an accredited university in India.
You will be required to present proof of English-language proficiency if the LL.B. degree was earned in a country where English is not the primary language or English was not the primary language of instruction for your previous legal studies. Marquette University does not accept IELTS scores instead the university accepts TOEFL scores as mentioned below:
|TOEFL iBT||100 or above|
|TOEFL paper-based||600 or above|
University of Miami- LLM in Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law
- You must hold a J.D. degree or its equivalent from a foreign institution accredited by the government of your country
- If your native language is not English then you’ll be required to take English Language Tests such as IELTS or TOEFL. The scores for both the tests are as mentioned below:
|English Language Tests||Minimum Score Requirements|
The application process takes place over a period of time and begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes known as the fall intake and winter intake for international students to kickstart their journey. You can call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked. Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 1800 572 000 to shortlist your favourite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc
- Meet all the applications deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university!
Here is a quick checklist of all the important documents required for admission as an international student:
- All official academic Transcripts and diplomas if any
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
- TB Test Certificate (UK Admission)
- Financial Evidence
Cost of Study
|University||Tuition fees (1 Year)|
|Nottingham Trent University||£15,850
|University of Miami||$55,850
Cost of Living
The cost of living varies from country to country and upon the choices you make while living abroad as an international student. The average cost of living in each country is mentioned below in the table below for your reference:
|Country||Average amount per year|
|USA||$10,000 – $18,000
(INR 7,53,515 – INR 13,56,325)
|UK||£10,000 – £30,000
(INR 10,20,676 – INR 30,62,028)
|Spain||EUR 6,000 – EUR 12,000
(INR 5,12,699 – INR 10,25,399)
Online Course- Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University offers a distance learning course called International Sports Law in Practice. The details for the program are as follows:
|Course||International Sports Law in Practice|
|Offered by||Sheffield Hallam University|
|Location||England, United Kingdom|
|International Student Fee||£9,050
|Course Starting||September 2022
Career Prospects- LLM in Sports Law
Listed below are some of the highest-paying jobs for LLM in Sports Law graduates:
- Sports Lawyer
- Professional Athlete Representative
- Professional Sports Team Representative
- Sports Union Attorney
- Sports Arbitrator
- State Agency Sports Law Attorney
|Job Profile||Average Salary in USD|
|Professional Athlete Representative||$110,000
The application fee at Marquette University for international students is $50 (INR 3,766).
Nottingham Trent University has been ranked #801-1000 by the QS World University Rankings 2022.
Some of the top universities for pursuing LLB abroad are Harvard University, University of Oxford, University of Cambridge and Yale University.
Are you planning to study LLM in sports law abroad but not sure where to start? Call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 57 2000 and book a FREE 30-minutes counselling session today!