Peking University is one of the most prestigious universities in China. PKU has been providing excellent education and research facilities since its inception in 1898. A wide range of courses is offered at Peking University to over 40,000 students including more than 6,000 international students coming from around 116 nations across the world. Peking University has beautiful campuses in China and one international campus located in Oxford, United Kingdom. Here’s everything you need to know about Peking University’s acceptance rate, rankings, admission requirements and more.
|Type of University||Public university|
|No. of Departments||12|
|Number of Programs||400+|
|Known for||Science Research|
This Blog Includes:
Peking University Acceptance Rate
Peking University’s acceptance rate is as low as 1% for domestic students but the case is totally different for international students as the acceptance rate at Peking University for foreign students is 15%. This means that your application is likely to get accepted at Peking University.
Listed below are the rankings achieved by Peking University:
- Peking University has been ranked #18 in QS Global World Rankings 2022.
- Peking University has been ranked #2 in QS Asia.
- Peking University has been ranked #19 for QS employability rankings.
- Peking University has been ranked #16 by Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022.
- Peking University has been ranked #15 by Times Higher Education Reputation Rankings 2022.
- Peking University has been ranked #59 in CWUR Rankings 2021-2022.
- Peking University has been ranked #45 by US NEWS World Rankings 2022.
To pursue the degree of your choice at Peking University, you must be first able to meet the eligibility criteria set by Peking University for international students hailing from different parts of the world. The eligibility requirements may vary for different courses but here is general eligibility criteria for admission to Peking University:
- You must be a senior high school graduate with good grades.
- You must be a non-Chinese citizen carrying a valid passport.
- To apply for a Master’s degree, you must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a university recognized by the Ministry of Education of China.
- You may also be required to submit SAT or ACT scores for some undergraduate programs.
- To apply for a Doctoral degree, you must have completed your Master’s degree from a recognised university.
- Entrance Exam Scores such as GRE or GMAT (Avg. 650) may be required for admission to programs such as MBA or other at PHSB, UK or Guanghua School of management.
- A GPA of 3.5 or above for masters of Finance and Management, MBA at PHSB, UK.
- Relevant full-time work experience for a year or more for an MBA program.
- You must be a non-Chinese resident with a valid passport.
- You should be in good health.
- You should not have any criminal records.
- If you’re a non-native English speaker, then you should also provide valid English test certificates – IELTS or TOEFL.
English Language Requirements
International students whose mother tongue is not English are required to submit English Language Proficiency by submitting IELTS, TOEFL iBT or GRE scores or any other certificate to prove their English language proficiency for admission to Peking University.
|English Language Tests||Minimum Score Requirements|
|IELTS||6.5 or above|
|GRE||315 or above|
|TOEFL||92 and above
100 and above (PG Courses)
If you haven’t yet started preparing for your English Language exams, which is surely an important factor of studying abroad, join our Leverage Live classes and get trained by experts to score high in IELTS, TOEFL.
How to Apply?
Here’s an easy 4-step process to start with your application process at Peking University:
- Select the Course and University – Call our Leverage Edu student counselors at 1800 572 000 to shortlist your Bachelor’s or Masters or PhD/doctoral programs at Peking University with the help of our trusted AI Course Finder.
- Gather Documents – The next step is to gather and compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, ACT etc.
- Fill and Submit the application – After submitting your application and all the necessary documents, the experts will then start with the application process for accommodation, Student Visa, and scholarships/student loans.
- Wait for the offer letter – It’s now time to wait for your offer letter which can take around 8-10 weeks.
- Official academic transcripts
- Graduation and degree certificates must be original documents or notarized copies either in Chinese or English.
- English Language Tests Scores
- GMAT, GRE, ACT test scores if required.
- A personal statement (including the research plan, 1500 words for the master’s degree program, 3000 words for the doctoral program at PKU).
- Letter of recommendation (2)
- Health Records
Cost of Studying
The table below mentions the average amount required for studying at Peking University as an international student.
|Degree Type||Tuition fees per year|
|Undergraduate||26,000 RMB – 30,000 RMB (INR 3,05,257 – INR 3,52,220)|
|Postgraduate||29,000 RMB – 33,000 RMB (INR 3,40,479 – INR 3,87,442)|
|PhD/Doctoral||32,000 RMB – 40,000 RMB (INR 3,75,701 – INR 4,69,627)|
Cost of Living
Listed below is an average amount of living as an international student at Peking University, both on and off-campus:
|Expenses||Average Amount per year|
|Accommodation||35,000 RMB (INR 4,10,924)|
|Meals||15,000 RMB (INR 1,76,110)|
|Transportation and miscellaneous||5,000 RMB (INR 58,703)|
The application fee for each Master’s program at Peking University is 800 RMB (INR and If you apply for two programs, you must pay both application fees at the same time, a total of 1600 RMB (INR 18,802).
The study period of a master’s degree at Peking University is up to 2-3 years maximum.
The Department of Computer Science and Technology, Peking University offers PhD in Computer Science in the following majors: Computer software and theory, Computer architecture, Computer applications.
Peking University takes at least 8 to 10 weeks after the application deadline to send out the formal Letter of Admission to the student.
Are you planning to study at Peking University? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counselling session today.