The Polytechnic University of Milan is the most comprehensive professional university in Italy. The university provides undergraduate, graduate and higher education courses in engineering, architecture, and design. Endowed in 1863, it is the most venerable university in Milan. The Polytechnic University of Milan has two principal colleges in the city of Milan, Italy, where the preponderance of the research and instruction activities are located, as well as other dependent campuses in five different cities across the Lombardy and Emilia-Romagna regions. The principal offices and headquarters are established on the historic campus of Città Studi in Milan, which is also the biggest and active University since 1927.
The college is consistently placed among the greatest in the world. The QS World University Rankings, as of 2020, gave 16th rank in the category of most dependable technical universities in the world, placing 3rd in continental Europe after ETH Zurich and EPFL Lausanne, 6th comprehensive for Design, 7th for Civil and Structural Engineering, and 7th for Mechanical Engineering. Its well-known alumni include Nobel laureate Giulio Natta, Carlo Emilio Gadda- famous novelist, architect Renzo Piano, etc. The Polytechnic University of Milan was established on 29 November 1863 by Francesco Brioschi, director of the Ministry of Education and dean of the University of Pavia. It is the earliest university in Milan. Its initial name was Istituto Tecnico Superiore ("Higher Technical Institute") and only Civil and Industrial Engineering were taught. The architecture was introduced in 1865 in partnership with the Brera Academy. There were only 30 students enrolled in the first year and most of the trainees were men. In 1927 the university shifted to piazza Leonardo da Vinci, in the district now recognized as City of Studies, where the university's main amenities are still today. The word Regio was discharged as Italy was blazoned a republic after World War II. The ancient structure still in use today was created and built by engineers and architects all certified from the university itself.