Canada is a top choice for overseas students looking to pursue software engineering due to the country’s rising need for software engineers and developers. By the end of 2024, the ICT, or information and communications technology, sector is anticipated to be reportedly valued at $132.6 billion, making it the largest and fastest-growing industry in the world.
Furthermore, by 2028, the employment of software engineers in the information technology sector will likely increase by 21%. Pursuing an MS in Software Engineering in Canada can open a door to amazing opportunities as far as employment is concerned. Keep reading to learn everything about pursuing an MS in Software Engineering in Canada.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Software Engineering in Canada?
Canada is home to some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Studying in Canada can immensely help students in finding high-salary jobs in both Canada and around the globe.
There are a lot of reasons why you need to study MS in software engineering in Canada. Some of these are:
- In Canada, there are many job prospects in the software or IT sector, which is expected to generate 132.6 billion in revenue by 2024.
- More than 3,51,000 people are employed in this sector, and 7,78,000 more work in the aftermarket services.
- The software engineering curriculum places a heavy emphasis on computer research that incorporates scientific theory, engineering best practices, and the interface in order to progress the field of software through education and research.
- It equips students to compete in the modern software business.
- Most overseas students now choose Canada for their higher education.
- This is due to their education from elite, globally renowned institutions and colleges as well as the abundance of their work options.
Also Read: MSc Agriculture
To apply for the MS in Software Engineering in Canada, candidates must complete the qualifying requirements. The following are the requirements for admission to Canada’s top universities for MS in Software Engineering in Canada:
- A GPA of a minimum of 3.0 out of 4.0 scale (73-76 %) is required,
- A 4 years Bachelor’s degree course in a related field from a recognised university,
- An IELTS score of 6.0 – 7.0 is required,
- A TOEFL iBT score of 75-100 is required,
- GMAT or GRE scores, and
- Work experience, if any
Must Read: MA Economics Syllabus
How to Apply?
While the admissions process might be challenging, Leverage Edu can help you make it much simpler. We will assist you in your application process in the following ways:
- Using our AI Course Finder, we will help you choose your MS in Software Engineering course.
- The professionals at Leverage Edu will then start the application process for you at the university of your choice.
- Essays, SOPs, LORs, TOEFL, IELTS, and other documents are crucial to the application process.
- Therefore, be sure to collect and prepare all of the necessary paperwork.
- After receiving your application and the required documentation, our professionals will start the applications for housing, scholarships, and student loans.
- Wait for your offer letter, which you should get in about 4-6 weeks.
Also Read: Masters in Computer Science
There are certain documents that you need to submit during your admission process. The documents required for applying for MS in Software Engineering in Canada are as follows:
- Copy of valid passport,
- IELTS/TOEFL score card,
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR),
- Statement of Purpose (SOP),
- GMAT/GRE scorecard,
- Proof of work experience,
- Updated CV/ Resume,
- Official transcripts of academic records, and
- French Proficiency – B2
Top Colleges and Fees
Your career will be significantly impacted by the college or university you select. It is crucial that you select the appropriate institute. Fortunately, a number of prestigious universities provide MS in Software Engineering in Canada programs.
Look at the table below to learn more about these prestigious colleges and their tuition costs:
|University||QS World University Rankings 2024||Course||Duration||Annual Tuition Fees|
|University of Alberta||111||Master of Science in Computing Science – Software Engineering (Thesis-based)||2 Years||CAD 18,812|
|Ontario Tech University||Master of Science in Computer Science – Software Design||2 Years||CAD 38,332|
|Carleton University||671-680||Master of Engineering – Engineering Practice (Software Engineering)||2 Years||–|
|Concordia University||387||Master of Applied Science in Software Engineering||2 Years||CAD 27,993|
|University of Calgary||182||Master of Science in Computer Science (Thesis-Based) – Software Engineering||2 Years||CAD 16,162|
Relevant Read: BSc Physiology
While some universities may have a little variation, the general syllabus for the MS in Software Engineering is the same. Take a peek at the course’s syllabus:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Information Technology and Project Management||Personal Development and Research Management|
|Reliability Management||Software Quality Engineering|
|Engineering Chemistry||Android Application Development|
|Software Engineering Support Environments||Modern Physics|
|Environmental Studies||Multivariate Calculus and Differential Equations|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Comprehensive Examination||Data Warehousing|
|Problem Solving using C||Network Programming|
|English for Engineers||Multimedia Computing|
|Comprehensive Examination||Data Warehousing|
|Ethics and Values||Technical Communication|
Must Read: Masters in UK: All You Need To Know!
Candidates who pursue an MS in Software Engineering in Canada have numerous work prospects. Following the conclusion of their degree program, applicants can apply for the following positions:
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Software Engineer||CAD 86,027|
|Software Developer||CAD 78,305|
|Lead Software Engineer||CAD 1,02,215|
|Senior Software Engineer||CAD 1,11,726|
|Chief Technology Officer (CTO)||CAD 1,31,926|
Also Read: MSc Economics
For international students, there are numerous scholarships, grants, and programs available in Canada that may provide financial assistance. The beneficial scholarships that can assist you in saving money are covered in the sections below.
|The McMaster University Award of Excellence||International students having a final admission average in the Top 10% of faculty||CAD 3,000|
|Provost Entrance Scholarship, McMaster University||International students that excelled in their academic studies at previous institutions.||CAD 7,500|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarships, Western University||Students should have completed their previous program with a minimum average score of 80%.||CAD 15,000|
|Arun Mishra Graduate Scholarship in Engineering, University of Calgary||Students must be enrolled full-time in an engineering master’s program.||CAD 2,000|
Also Read: MS in Australia
The tech sector in Canada is expanding quickly, making it the perfect location for software engineers to prosper. Both established software corporations and new startups have made major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal their home bases.
In Canada, a software engineer has an average yearly pay of $103,003. The additional financial compensation for a software engineer in Canada ranges from $4,773 to $25,388, with an average of $11,007 each year.
There are several methods for qualified professionals to apply for permanent residency in Canada, which boasts one of the most benevolent immigration policies in the entire world. Additionally, the nation provides other immigration schemes created especially for software developers, such as the Global Talent Stream.
So, this was all about the MS in Software Engineering in Canada. Many Indian students dream of pursuing education in foreign nations due to the exposure and career growth they offer. Consider joining a free counselling session with Leverage Edu if you are planning to study abroad.