United Kingdom is home to some of the most premier educational institutes which have etched their name in both QS World University and Times Higher Education Rankings. With an array of bachelor’s and master’s programs and a vibrant atmosphere, lakhs of international students flock to the UK to gain the best quality education. Further, the UK education system, which is bifurcated into 4 stages, is counted amongst the best education systems in the world. If you have completed your bachelor’s degree and are now planning to study in UK, then you can choose from a wide range of master’s degrees available. Read on to know more about studying Masters in UK for Indian students and the top specialization courses.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Should You Pursue Masters in UK?
- Masters in UK: Types
- Masters in UK: Popular Courses
- Popular 2- year Masters Courses in UK
- Best Universities in UK for Masters
- Affordable Universities Offering 2 year Masters Programs
- Documents Required
- How to Apply to UK universities- Step-Wise Guide
Why Should You Pursue Masters in UK?
Home to some of the top-notch institutes, the UK has etched its name in providing quality education through highly qualified faculty. Further, with a multi-cultural environment and world-class infrastructure, studying masters in UK can be beneficial to build a successful career in your field. Here’s why Masters in UK is the top choice for Indian students:
- With international and national accreditations, the master’s courses in the UK are highly regarded around the globe. Almost all the multi-national companies and several other employers prefer the degree holders coming from the UK than any other country.
- Another advantage of studying masters in UK is that you do not have to worry about learning a new language as all the courses are taught in English. You can increase your chances of getting selected in universities of UK by showing your proficiency in the English language through IELTS or TOEFL examinations.
- Universities like Oxford and Cambridge are testimonials to the quality of education the country provides its students with.
Masters in UK: Types
The masters in UK for Indian students are of 2 major types namely, Taught Masters and Research Masters. Given below is a comprehensive description of both the types of masters and their relevance:
Under the taught courses of masters in the UK, there are 4 main types of programs namely, Master in Arts (MA), Master in Science (MSc), Master of Engineering (MEng), and Master of Business Administration (MBA). The students who have opted for a taught master’s program are required to attend weekly lectures, tutorials, and seminars. The assessment is done through projects or dissertations. The full-time taught masters generally last for 1 to 2 years.
The most prevalent research degrees in the UK include Master of Philosophy (MPhil), Master of Science (MSc), Master of Research (MRes) to name a few. These types of masters in the UK generally last 3 to 4 years. At the end of the course, the students prepare a thesis of around 60,000 to 1,00,000 words under the supervision of senior academicians which is then presented in oral examinations.
Masters in UK: Popular Courses
Masters in UK for Indian students comes with a profusion of specializations courses along with an array of electives that can broaden the knowledge of students in their respective fields. Here are some of the most preferred specializations that are popular amongst international students:
- Fine Arts
- Finance And Investments
- Data Analytics
- Human Resource Management
- Global MBA
- Cyber Security
- Graphic Designing
- Information Technology
- Nuclear Science
- Engineering Management
- Software Engineering
- Construction Project Management
- Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Data Science
- Actuarial Science
- Global Politics
Popular 2- year Masters Courses in UK
- Adult Nursing
- Advanced Electrical Power Systems Engineering
- Anthropological Research
- Applied Mathematics
- Arts Management, Policy and Practice
- Classics and Ancient History
- Clinical Research
- Composition (Instrumental and Vocal music)
- Film Studies
- Global Health
- Health Psychology
- Human Rights – Political Science
- International Development
- International Political Economy (Research)
- International Relations
- Model-based Drug Development
- Political Science – European Politics & Policy Pathway
- Psychology of Education
- Real Estate Development
- Social Work
- Translation and Interpreting Studies
Best Universities in UK for Masters
With high-quality education and essential international and industrial exposure, the universities in UK produce best-in-class leaders from different disciplines. Holding a masters degree from any one of them is a matter of utmost pride. Given below are some of the top universities for pursuing masters in UK:
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- Imperial College London
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of Edinburgh
- King’s College London
- University of Warwick
- University of Manchester
- University of Bristol
- University of Glasgow
- University of Birmingham
- University of Southampton
Affordable Universities Offering 2 year Masters Programs
- Anglia Ruskin University
- Birmingham City University
- University of Buckingham
- University of Derby
- University of Gloucestershire
- University of Greenwich
- University of Hertfordshire
- Northumbria University
- University of Law
- Leeds Trinity University
- London School of Commerce
- London Metropolitan University
- Middlesex University
- University of Northampton
- Plymouth University
- Staffordshire University
Also Read: January Intake Universities in UK
For pursuing higher studies from the listed universities, students must possess the following documents ready at the time of admission –
- Copy of a valid passport
- Scorecard of English proficiency tests like TOEFL/IELTS/C1 Advanced. (Some universities exempt students from this if they meet the set criteria)
- GMAT/GRE for Masters programs
- Academic Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendations (LOR)
- Portfolio (for specific courses)
- A CV (if applicable)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
Must Read: What are the Requirements to Study in UK?
How to Apply to UK universities- Step-Wise Guide
International students applying to UK universities must follow a well-researched guide before starting their application process:
Step-1: Shortlist Courses and Universities
The primary step in the application process is to shortlist courses and universities according to your academic profile and preference. Students can shortlist courses and universities through AI-Course Finder and generate a list of universities where they are most likely to get through and plan their application process in advance.
Step-2: Know Your Deadlines
The next step is to know the exact deadlines of universities and colleges in the UK you are planning to apply to. International students have to take the application process well in advance (one year to 6 months before the actual deadline). This ensures that students can fulfill all the college requirements such as SOP, letters of recommendation, English proficiency tests, funding/scholarship options, and accommodation.
Step-3: Take Entrance Tests
The third step in the application process for UK universities requires students to take tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or GRE/GMAT/LNAT/BMAT/MAT (in some courses). In some universities, students can be given submit scores for SAT or ACT exams. A new addition to English proficiency tests is the Duolingo Test which allows students to appear for the exam from the comfort of their homes and is accepted across the world.
Step-4: Compile Your Documents
The next step is to compile all the required documents and test scores for the application process. This means students should start writing their SOPs, getting letters of recommendation from teachers and supervisors and arranging their financial statements along with other documents like tests scorecards. With the COVID-19 pandemic, students must download their vaccine certificates and specify the administered vaccine for the application.
Step-5: Get Started with Your Application
Once you have all the documents in place, students can start the application process either directly or through UCAS. Students applying to UK universities that accept direct applications can start by applying through the official university website. They have to select the courses, pay the application fees and start the online application process.
Also Read: How to UK Post Study Work Visa?
Plan your study abroad dream with our Leverage Edu experts and bag your admit to UK’s top universities for the winter 2022 Intake. Register on 1800 572 000 for a free session today!