A unique brew of best-in-class education and infrastructure, globally renowned faculty and student-first approach, the Australian Education System is recognised all over the world for its peerless higher education courses. Over the years, 15 Nobel Prize winners have been awarded to Australian graduates. Add to that, the relatively favourable cost of studying in Australia and the reason for popularity especially among Indian students doesn’t seem a surprise. If you are interested in pursuing a master’s degree, an MS in Australia is an option more than worth considering.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study MS in Australia?
- Types of MS in Australia
- Top Universities: QS Rankings 2022
- Requirements for MS in Australia
- Cost of Studying MS in Australia
- Scholarships for MS in Australia
Why Study MS in Australia?
While the familiar reasons to study in Australia have found mentions across the internet, there are some particular grounds that make pursuing an MS in Australia a distinctly enriching experience. A few of them have been given a rundown below:
Top Destination for International Students
With close to 700,000 international students enrolled across 1,100 institutions, Australia is referred to as one of the top three study abroad destinations in the world. What’s more, according to the Centre for Global Higher Education, it is set to become, after a few more years, the second most favoured destination after the United States. Every year, the numbers are increasing by 11% as well. This speaks hugely to the fact that the trust enjoyed in the international community is unparalleled when it comes to higher education and especially MS in Australia.
Student Friendly Communities
Be it the major urban towns of Sydney, Melbourne or countryside communities, the country is welcoming to students from around the world. With its commitment towards multiculturalism, vibrant lifestyle and a host of student support services, it can soon become a home away from home for you. Furthermore, the universities also engage in innumerable activities of cultural celebrations, music festivals and art exploration to make your stay more memorable.
Plethora for Research Opportunities
The focus over research speaks volumes of the quality of research carried out by students and professionals in Australia. Through the years, they have contributed substantially across sectors like Medicine, Engineering and Technology, Transport and Communications, Agriculture, Biotechnology, Environment, among others. In particular, institutes encourage students to apply their learned knowledge through projects, internships, research assistantships and much more.
- Australian researchers have helped design and develop important modern-age facilities like the now all-pervasive WiFi, Gardasil cervical cancer vaccine, penicillin, the cochlear implant, etc.
- 43 universities in Australia have been recognised as one of ‘world-class or ‘world-leading’ in at least one area of the vast research arena.
International Partnerships and Opportunities
Encouraging the mobility of students and thereby, helping them furnish their research skills and other interpersonal abilities, colleges in Australia have forged partnerships with high ranking institutions and organisations. These not include global multi-party associations but also one-to-one short and long term study, research or exchange options. Some names in this list are Harvard University and other Ivy League colleges, University of Toronto, Canada; University of Edinburgh, UK; University of Geneva, Switzerland; Sorbonne University, France and much more.
Types of MS in Australia
In order to gain entry into an MS in Australia, you first need to adjudge and fulfil the necessary entry requirements for the program. These may vary greatly based on the nature, objectives and duration of the intended master’s program. Further, your candidature will be evaluated based on all aspects of your application including the suitability to the program and not on one criterion. In particular, a Masters in Australia can be of four types:
- Traditional or Coursework Masters: A coursework MS in Australia is similar to any other master’s degree in the world. It runs for a period of one to two years and you may be required to possess a bachelor’s in the relevant discipline, experience [if applicable], etc. Professional master’s degrees like MBA, MS Management Studies, MTech, etc are some variants under this category.
- Research Masters: This is a specifically designed program which serves as a gateway towards doctoral degrees like PhD. A high standing bachelor’s degree with an additional research experience or interest is desired. Also, a supervised thesis is an important component of a research MS in Australia.
- Integrated Masters and PhD: While a research master’s doesn’t lead to a PhD degree, an integrated MS in Australia degree paves the way for a career in research. Extending for 3-6 years, students are introduced to research methods and tools during the first few years of the degree itself. A strong bachelor’s level qualification with proven research experience is recommended. Refer to our blog on PhD in Australia for more information.
- Dual/Joint Masters: A combination of two courses such as an MSc Computer Science with a Master’s in Public Policy are called dual degrees. Such dual degree MS in Australia may be a collaboration between two universities or offered at a single university. Check the official university websites for more information.
Note: Other requirements may be applicable.
Don’t Know How to Go About Your Application for MS In Australia?
Click Here for a Free Consultation Session With Our Experts & Get Answers to All Your Queries!
Top Universities: QS Rankings 2022
Going by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020, at least 6 of the Australian universities have been ranked in the top 100 of the world. Moreover, they also fair well in young or emerging university rankings in all major ratings. It is particularly well-ranked in disciplines of clinical health, arts and humanities, physical sciences, social sciences and life science courses and engineering in Australia. In addition to that, many students are now also going for an MBA in Australia owing to the rewarding business and management education along with career opportunities.
|University of Melbourne||Melbourne||#31||#37|
|Australian National University||Canberra||#59||=27|
|University of Sydney||Sydney||=51||38|
|The University of Queensland||Brisbane||=62||47|
|University of New SouthWales Sydney||Sydney||#67||#43|
|University of Adelaide||Adelaide||=118||=108|
|University of WesternAustralia||Perth||#139||#93|
|Queensland University ofTechnology||Brisbane||186||=217|
|University of Canberra||Canberra||=184||=436|
|University of Wollongong||New South Wales||#201-250||#193|
|James Cook University||Townsville||#201-250||=424|
Requirements for MS in Australia
Now that you are set on your intended MS in Australia, it is important to get yourself familiarized with the application process of your chosen course. Admission at universities is conducted in specific intake cycles, namely, Fall or Autumn and Spring or Winter, which implement strict deadlines. In particular, the Fall intake operates with a deadline of somewhere around December to January while for the Spring Intake, completed applications need to be submitted by February or March. However, many universities may also choose to operate rolling deadlines throughout the year, in which case, apply as early as possible. To begin with your application, you may also be required to submit GRE/GMAT or IELTS/TOEFL scores, official transcripts, CV, Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letters of Recommendation (LOR), amongst others. Read our blog on SOP to Study in Australia to know more about writing an impressive statement of purpose. Many institutes may not require GRE or GMAT altogether but you can submit your scores if you feel it adds to the strength of your application.
Cost of Studying MS in Australia
The average cost of studying MS in Australia ranges somewhere around 18,000 AUD to 1,06,000 AUD [10,15,600 INR-59,80,500 INR]. MS in Engineering courses in Australia can be pursued with a total course fee of 18,000 AUD to 50,000 AUD [10,15,600 INR-28,21,000 INR] while MS in Finance in Australia goes higher around 70,000 AUD and over 1,00,000 AUD [39,49,390 INR-56,42,000 INR]. Apart from this, the cost of living in Australia as an international student can be added up to 20,000 AUD [11,28,400 INR] varying as per the city you are living in and other expenses.
Scholarships for MS in Australia
To encourage international student participation in all courses including MS in Australia, the national government along with universities provide numerous scholarships and funding related opportunities. This includes tuition fee reductions, on-campus accommodation arrangements, stipends, one-time awards as well as graduate research assistantships, among others.
- Australian Government Research and Training Program [AGRTP]
- Endeavour Leadership Program
- GSHSS International Scholarship (Humanities and Social Science)- The University of Melbourne
- Vice Chancellor’s International Scholarships – The University of Sydney
- Sydney Scholars India Scholarship Program- The University of Sydney
- AGSM Global Reach Scholarship – The University of New South Wales
- International Masters Scholarships: India (Arch, Arts, Buss, Engg, Law, Medicine, Science)- The University of Western Australia
- International Achievement Scholarship South & Southeast Asia (Commerce, Engineering, Computer Science & Data Science)-The University of Western Australia
- Engineering and IT PG Academic Excellence Scholarship (Engineering and IT) – University of Technology Sydney
- Academic Tuition Fee Bursary [Postgraduate Students]-James Cook University
Read more about financial assistance schemes in our blog on Scholarships for Indian Students.
An MS in Australia opens up endless opportunities from gaining knowledge in your chosen area of interest to developing a research acumen and learning from the best. Needless to say, a little bit of guidance in choosing the course and university which polishes your skills and abilities can play a major role in your future. Take the assistance of Leverage Edu’s AI-based algorithm which suggests the right combination for you based on your interests and inclinations and make an informed decision towards a successful career.