Biochemistry is the study of the chemical processes that take place in living organisms. It is a broad and interdisciplinary field that combines elements of biology, chemistry, and physics. A Masters in Biochemistry (MSc Biochemistry) is a postgraduate degree that provides students with advanced training in topics such as molecular biology, genetics, cell biology, and metabolism.
This blog will provide an overview of Masters in Biochemistry in Canada. We will discuss the top colleges for biochemistry in Canada, the fees and scholarships available, the career prospects for graduates, and more.
This Blog Includes:
Why Masters in Biochemistry in Canada?
Canada is a go-to place when it comes to acquiring a Masters in Biochemistry. Canada has become a sought-after destination to embark on this new journey of academics. Do you want to know the reasons why?
- Excellent Academic Reputation – Canada is a popular destination for transnational students who want to study biochemistry. The country has a strong reputation for academic excellence, and its universities offer a variety of high-quality programs in biochemistry. In addition, Canada is a welcoming and multicultural country with people pursuing masters from all around the world.
- Renowned and highly ranked educational institutions – Canada has emerged on top as some of the best universities for pursuing master’s. These universities offer world-class opportunities to work directly in the field. They also have a strong track record of producing graduates and have alumni who go on to have a successful career.
- Boundless opportunities to explore – Canada is a very welcoming country for international students, and there are many opportunities for students to find employment after post-graduation. The Canadian government offers a number of scholarships and grants to support international students, including the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. These scholarships and grants can help to offset the cost of tuition and living expenses.
Also Read – Career in Biochemistry
Top Colleges for Masters in Biochemistry in Canada
Here are some of the high-ranking universities of Canada that offer Masters in Biochemistry with their estimated fees.
|University||QS World University Rankings of 2024||Estimated Average Fee|
|University Of Toronto||21||CAD 28,900|
|McGill University||30||CAD 19,155|
|University of British Columbia||34||CAD 5,408 (per term)|
|University of Alberta||111||CAD 8,875 (per term)|
|University of Calgary||182||CAD 2,800 (per term)|
|McMaster University||189||CAD 5,700 (per term)|
|University of Ottawa||203||CAD 27,254|
|Simon Fraser University||318||CAD 1,947(per term)|
|University of Windsor||641-650||CAD 15,640|
|University of Regina||1001-1200||CAD 26,810|
To be eligible for a master’s program in biochemistry, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, biology, or a related field.
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0.
- Have GRE scores that meet the program’s requirements.
- Submit letters of recommendation.
Also Read – MSc in Biotechnology
The application process for master’s programs in biochemistry varies from school to school. However, most programs require you to submit your application online.
The application deadline for most programs is in January or February. However, some programs have rolling admissions, so a student can apply at any time.
The student will need the following documents to complete the application process:
- Academic Transcript(s)
- Proof of your English language proficiency (if your first language isn’t English or if English isn’t the language of guidance at your school)
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- A curriculum vitae
- A passport
- Financial Documents
- Personal portfolio (if asked by the university)
Also Read- BSc Biochemistry
Once a student successfully obtains a degree in this field, the student can easily find a plethora of employment opportunities as per degree level. Usually, after a master’s degree, students can work majorly in sectors like Medicine, Agriculture, and Nutrition. Majorly, the role in the aforementioned sectors revolves around studying the cause of various diseases whilst analyzing the effect of chemicals on the human body. Along with this, measuring the impact of different nutrients in the human diet is also what a student will be required to do.
Job Profiles and Salary
The following are some of the popular jobs available in the field of Biochemistry.
- Research Fellow
- Clinical Biochemist
- Healthcare Scientist
- QA/ AC Associate
- Pharma Associate
- Research Scientist
- Forensic Scientists
- Food Safety Analyst
- Scientific Laboratory Technician
- Biomedical Scientist
The average salary for a research scientist in Canada is CAD $75,000 per year. The salary for a professor can range from CAD $80,000 to CAD $150,000 per year. The salary for a medical doctor can range from CAD $150,000 to CAD $300,000 per year.
Some of the top recruiters for graduates with a masters degree in biochemistry include:
- Health Canada
- National Research Council of Canada
- Genome Canada
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Johnson & Johnson
Masters in biochemistry is a challenging but rewarding program. If a scholar is interested in a career in this field, Canada is a great place to pursue your studies. With its strong reputation for excellence in scientific research, Canada offers many opportunities for graduates with a master’s degree in biochemistry.
After graduation, a student of biochemistry can find jobs as a forensic or analytical scientist, toxicologist, clinical research associate, clinical biochemist, Researcher, etc
The scope of a Master’s in biochemistry is very wide. They can work in applied research for agencies such as Agri-Foods Canada, Industry Canada, Health Canada, Canadian Food Inspection Agency or Agriculture.
After pursuing Biochemistry, there are many fields a person can choose like- a forensic science technician, research scientist, Biologist, Biochemist, Professor, etc
Apart from Canada, there are many countries offering Masters in Biochemistry in Canada. Some of these countries are Germany, the USA, China, Singapore, etc.
If you are planning to pursue a PhD in Commerce from a top-rated university in Canada, but are not sure about the process then reach out to us at Leverage Edu where the experts will provide assistance at every step of the admission process. You can also attend a brainstorming counselling session by booking 30 minutes of free career counselling with our study-abroad experienced professionals!