Indian and French governments have collaborated on different levels to award scholarships to Indian students pursuing higher education in France. Govt scholarships for Indian students in France include programmes of different levels. Students can apply for relevant scholarships only after getting confirmation mail from French universities or colleges.
This blog lists the eligibility criteria and benefits of govt scholarships for Indian students in France. Continue reading to know the details.
This Blog Includes:
Raman Charpak Fellowship
This fellowship was introduced by the Department of Science and Technology (DoST) under the Ministry of Science and Technology of the central government, Centre Franco-Indien pour la Promotion da la Recherche Avancee (CEFIPRA) or Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advanced Research (IFCPAR) and government of France. The Raman Charpak Fellowship is offered in honour of two Nobel laureates- Prof. Georges Charpak and Prof. CV Raman.
|Duration of Fellowship||2 to 6 years|
|Target Group||Master students and PhD scholars of France and PhD scholars of France and India.|
|Aim||To encourage the exchange of PhD students between India and France to expand the horizons of Innovation, Science, and Technology.|
Eligibility for Raman Charpak Fellowship
Listed below are the eligibility criteria to avail of one of the most beneficial govt scholarships for Indian students in France:
- Candidates must be Indian citizens.
- Applicants must have registered in a PhD course in a research organisation or an accredited university in France.
- Applicants must have completed their bachelor’s and master’s degree from recognised universities in any country.
- Candidates must not be over 30 years of age. The age is calculated on the 1st of April of the call year.
- Confirmation letter from the university or research institute to which the candidate is applying for a foreign fellowship.
- Students who have already received a scholarship from CEFIPRA or have a permanent position in the concerned university or institution cannot apply for this fellowship.
- Applicable academic domain: Mathematical and Computational, Physical, Atmospheric, Biological, Earth, Engineering, Chemical, Medical, Life, Materials, and Environmental Sciences.
Must Read: Shikhar Thales Scholarship
Awards and Benefits
- The eligible Indian Fellow receives €1500 (INR 1,32,474) per month for accommodation, social security, local commute, and daily living expenses.
- Each Fellow gets one return ticket from France to India.
- Travel and Health insurance.
- Financial support for attending workshops or seminars related to fellowship, during the stay in France.
The Charpak Scholarship Programme
This programme is one of the most diversified govt scholarships for Indian students in France as it is available in three types – Charpak Lab Scholarship, Charpak Master’s Scholarship, Charpak Exchange Scholarship, and Charpak Bachelor’s Scholarship.
|Types of scholarship||Charpak Lab Scholarship, Charpak Master’s Scholarship, Charpak Exchange Scholarship, and Charpak Bachelor’s Scholarship.|
The table below contains the eligibility criteria for all 4 scholarships offered under the Charpak Scholarship Programme. All the below-mentioned scholarships can be availed of only after securing a seat at the eligible undergraduate or postgraduate courses.
|Charpak Lab Scholarship||Indian National residing in India while applying. Maximum Age Limit: 30 yearsEligible Courses: Bachelor’s and Master’s Duration: 1-2 months of internship or research projects.|
|Charpak Exchange Scholarship||An Overseas Citizen of India or Indian national living in India when applying.Eligible Courses: Master’s Maximum Age Limit: 30 years Students already enrolled in research project/s in a partner institute in France cannot apply.|
|Charpak Bachelor’s Scholarship||OCI or Indian national.Maximum age limit: 23 years.Minimum Educational qualification: Senior Secondary in IndiaEligible courses: All undergraduate programmes in France. First-time learners in France can only apply for the scholarship.|
|Charpak Master’s Scholarship||OCI or Indian national.Maximum age limit: 30 years.Minimum Educational qualification: Bachelor’s degree.CEFIPRA scholarship holders in 1st year of a master’s course in France can apply.|
Also Read: The Emile Boutmy Scholarship
Awards and Benefits
Financial support under all 4 types of scholarships is mentioned in the following table.
|Scholarships||Awards and Benefits||Administering Authority|
|Charpak Lab Scholarship||€700 (INR 61,826) for one or two months project. Etudes en France fee waiver and student visa.||French Embassy in India|
|Charpak Exchange Scholarship||€860 (INR 75,957) monthly allowance; Etudes en France fee waiver; social security; and student visa.||French Embassy in India|
|Charpak Bachelor’s Scholarship||€860 (INR 75,957) monthly allowance; student visa; social security; and Etudes en France fee waiver.||CEFIPRA|
|Charpak Master’s Scholarship||€860 (INR 75,957) monthly allowance; student visa; social security; and Etudes en France fee waiver.||CEFIPRA|
Eiffel Scholarship Programme of Excellence
This is one of the most popular govt scholarships for Indian students in France which was institutionalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This scholarship is available for Indian students who have secured admission to a master’s and doctorate level programme in four domains of science and technology and three disciplines of humanities and social sciences. Applications for this scholarship are submitted to the ministry by French universities or colleges to which students are applying.
|Administering Authority||Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Govt. of India|
|Eligible Programme Levels||Masters and Doctoral|
|Eligible Academic Disciplines||Humanities & Social Sciences; Science & Technology|
- The candidate must be an Indian national.
- The maximum age limit for doctoral courses is 30 years, whereas, for master’s programmes is 25 years.
- Eligible Science and Technology domains: Engineering Sciences; Ecological Transition; Biology and Health; and Digital and Mathematics.
- Eligible Humanities and Social Sciences Domains: Political Science and Law; Management and Economics; and French language, French Civilization, and History.
- Candidates must clear the accepted language proficiency test.
Read: French Education System
Awards and Benefits
- Air tickets; train travel expenses, and local transportation expenses.
- Monthly stipend of €1700 (INR 1,50,091) for doctorate students and €1,181 (INR 1,04,269) for masters students.
- Health insurance.
- Aid in rent payments and accommodation hunting.
Students are advised to follow these basic guidelines to apply for govt scholarships for Indian students in France.
- Visit the official website of administering authorities.
- Submit the admission confirmation document procured from the university.
- Inform the university about the scholarship.
- The university or college then applies for the scholarship.
- After checking the eligibility requirements, the concerned authorities grant financial aid to the applicants.
Indian students aspiring to study in France can opt for Raman Charpak Fellowship, Charpak Lab Scholarship, Charpak Master’s Scholarship, Charpak Exchange Scholarship, and Charpak Bachelor’s Scholarship by applying at www.cefipra.org.
Indian government departments can cover nearly two-thirds of education costs in France by providing scholarships and financial aid.
France is an excellent option for Indian students as the French government and Indian governments offer scholarships and subsidies to exchange students and students opting for full-time bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral courses in France.
Learn about study-abroad scholarships with Leverage Edu. Get regular updates about developments in study abroad programmes with Leverage Live. Initiate your higher education plan in a foreign land with a 30-minute free counselling session at 1800 572 000.