BEd Special Education is a two-year full-time undergraduate program that prepares teachers to work with students who are differently abled or physically challenged. The Bachelor of Special Education is a specialised course for students who want to become Tutors and counsellors and teach and guide students who are either mentally or physically challenged. If you wish to pursue a Bachelor of Special Education then continue reading. In this blog, we have mentioned everything you need to know about pursuing this program.
|Full Form||Bachelor of Special Education|
|Examination Type||Semester Wise|
|Admission Process||Entrance/ Merit|
|Average Course Fees||INR 50,000 to 1 lakh|
|Subjects||Disabilities, Technology, Psycho-Social and Family Issues etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3 to 7 lakh per annum|
|Top Recruiters||Schools, NGOs, Foundations etc.|
|Job Profiles||Primary School Teacher, Career Counsellor, Social Worker, Content Writer etc|
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Bachelor of Special Education?
- Why Study Bachelor of Special Education?
- Bachelor of Special Education Courses
- Admission Process
- Eligibility Criteria
- Bachelor of Special Education Syllabus
- Top Universities for Bachelor of Special Education in India
- Bachelor of Education Career Scope, Jobs and Salary
What is a Bachelor of Special Education?
The Bachelor of Special Education programme prepares teachers to meet the learning and socio-emotional needs of children and adolescents with learning and intellectual disabilities, severe emotional and behavioural disorders, and other disabilities. This intensive, field-based programme prepares each candidate to work democratically in elementary, middle, and high school.
Why Study Bachelor of Special Education?
The Bachelor of Special Education programme trains students in the principles of teaching and learning for differently abled students. It helps candidates improve their soft skills and communication skills so that they can understand the individual needs of the students and guide them properly.
Let us look at some of the reasons why the Bachelor Special Education Course is a better educational option:
- Necessity: The B.Ed Degree is now required for candidates who want to teach at the junior, middle, or senior levels in any government or sponsored school. Even if it is for the department of special education.
- Untapped Potential: A large segment of the Indian population still opposes special education. There is an urgent need for skilled teachers to teach students with special needs who go unnoticed and are forced to drop out of school in India.
- Excellent remuneration: In the beginning, special educators in India earn an average of INR 16,000 per month. In India, Special Educators earn an average annual salary of INR 366,000. Employees at the government college can expect to earn INR 720,000 per year.
- Job opportunities: It creates a pool of job opportunities in a variety of fields, particularly in education. After completing the programme, candidates can work as educational counsellors.
- Flexibility: Because teaching has always been a respected profession, there is a rush for students to enrol in such a course. This course, on the other hand, provides job satisfaction as well as a flexible schedule to educate individuals.
- Future Aspect: Candidates with a bachelor’s degree in Special education are in high demand because there is a shortage of qualified experts and professionals to teach students with special needs, such as children with hearing impairment, mental retardation, or visual impairment.
Bachelor of Special Education Courses
The following are the top Undergraduate (UG) Special Education Courses:
- B Ed
- B Ed in Special Education
- BA Hons
- BEd. Special Education Hearing Impairment
- BEd. Special Education Visual Impairment
Admission to the Bachelor in Special Education varies by the institute. While some institutes offer admission based on merit or marks obtained in the most recent qualifying examination, others hold their own entrance exam followed by an interview, and final admission is based on the combined scores in the entrance exam as well as performance in the interview.
Entrance exams for various institutes are primarily made up of logical questions about teaching and aptitude. BHU UET, IPU CET, and other entrance exams may be required to pursue a Bachelor of Special Education in India
A child must have one of the following disabilities to be eligible for Special Education:
- Communication Issues ( Speech & Language)
- Mental Impairment
- Particular Learning Disabilities (Dyslexia, Dysgraphia)
- Blindness and deafness
- Impaired Vision
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Impairment in Orthopaedics
- TBI- Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Emotional Upheaval
- Hearing Problems
- Other Health Issues
Bachelor of Special Education Syllabus
Some of the general subjects covered in the Bachelor of Special Education Syllabus are as follows:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Human growth and development||Teaching, learning and assessment|
|Sensory disabilities||School subjects pedagogy
(Mathematics, Science, Social science)
|Neurodevelopmental disabilities||School subjects pedagogy 2
|Locomotive and multiple disabilities||Designing, adaptation and evaluation of
|Contemporary India and education||Inclusive education|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Teaching Strategies and methods||Skill-based optional course|
|Family issues and psychosocial||Skill-based optional course through|
|Disabilities and Technology||Statistics and research|
|Visual and performing arts||Inclusive school creation|
|Reading and Reflection on test||Internship|
Top Universities for Bachelor of Special Education in India
Top Colleges with Bachelor of Special Education Programs in India are listed below:
|Institute Name||Average Fees|
|Banaras Hindu University||INR 5,670|
|Calcutta University||INR 2,164|
|Jadavpur University||INR 15,260|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||INR 6,900|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||INR 5,000|
|University of Delhi||NA|
|Savitribai Phule Pune University||NA|
|Aligarh Muslim University||INR 84,845|
Bachelor of Education Career Scope, Jobs and Salary
Pursuing a Bachelor of Special Education creates a pool of job opportunities in a variety of fields. After completing the program, students can work as educational counsellors, writers, teachers, or as special educators.
People with disabilities are best suited for desk jobs and other jobs that do not require a lot of movement. Following special education, the following jobs are available to people with special needs:
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Primary Teacher||INR 1,94,000|
|Special Educator||INR 3,93,000|
|Business Development Executive||INR 2,46,000|
Many companies seek candidates who have completed their special education courses. They are as follows:
- Coaching Institutes
- Publishing Houses
- Government offices
The following are some of the potential future applications for a Bachelor in Special Education course in India.
- M.Ed: Master of Education (M.Ed) is a two-year postgraduate degree in education. This course will provide you with in-depth knowledge of all aspects and fields of education. The M.Ed course provides future educators with firsthand knowledge of various newer methods of teaching and also assists candidates in developing research abilities.
- PhD(Education): A doctorate degree in education, also known as a PhD (Education), is the highest degree in the field of education that can be pursued only after completing a master’s degree in education. After earning your PhD, you will be able to pursue a variety of lucrative job opportunities with competitive pay packages.
A Bachelor of Special Education degree prepares teachers to provide inclusive education to students with disabilities. Participants in the degree programme learn how to teach students with physical and learning disabilities who require specialised support to receive an education.
A career in special education is best suited for those who are passionate about educating and caring for disabled children. Special education provides individualised instruction to children with a variety of physical and mental disabilities.
Passed XIIth grade and a one-year Diploma in Special Education (DSE) in any category of disability. 3. Diploma in Community-Based Rehabilitation (DCBR) with a 6-month certification course in Special Education for Children.
This was all about the Bachelor of Special Education. Subscribe to Leverage Edu for more informative blogs. If you wish to study abroad and need any assistance, contact our experts at 1800 57 2000 and book your 30-minute free counselling session.