A Statement of Purpose (SOP) is one of the most essential factors in writing an application to an international university. SOP for Switzerland Universities is no different. It must be commendable, and striking, yet concise in its conveyance to the academic council. Let’s break down some parts of writing an SOP for Switzerland universities.
Why SOP for Switzerland?
A statement of purpose written for universities in Switzerland is simply a step that you follow once you decide to apply for studying in the country. But why shall one make this decision? Here are some of the reasons to choose and write SOPs for Switzerland universities:
- World-Class Education:
Switzerland is one of the countries that’s known for its hub of academic and research achievements. It offers a variety of programs, where students can get an opportunity to work and study in internationally renowned higher education institutions.
- Research Centre:
Thanks to Switzerland’s system of education, it’s well known for its research centres. It’s also home to the largest particle physics lab in the world. Examples like these present ample opportunities to students.
Guidelines to Write an SOP for Switzerland
To make things easier for you, here is a list of guidelines to create an SOP for your application to a Switzerland university.
- Make your SOP with details of your academic and professional background. If you have experience in different fields, that’s even better. Switzerland universities prefer students with a competent background that checks all the above-mentioned prerequisites.
- Include global experiences and the learnings that you have acquired, in the statement of purpose, reflecting on your qualities and abilities to navigate through circumstances. This shall strongly reflect your capabilities and allow your overall persona to be established, and not only your academic one.
- Remember, if you are applying for a Master’s in Switzerland, each university has different requirements for an application, and each needs individual, separate SOPs. Make sure to read your preferred university’s website and guidelines before applying and moving forward.
The main key factor is the fact that your SOP for Switzerland should be written in English. What sections should be included and are beneficial? Let’s take a look:
- Start with a good introduction but also make sure to include relevant academic experiences, including the courses you took and the impact they had on your growth.
- While expanding on your academic journey, if there have been any academic projects or publications, include the same with ample emphasis.
- Make sure to also incorporate the thesis statement/information of your bachelor’s if you are applying for a Master’s.
- Now, along with your academic experiences, the relevance and existence of your experiences in co-curriculum activities are also an additional factor.
- Furthermore, add any kind of relevant internships, professional experience, and/or prior volunteering experience.
- One of the most important factors is the inclusion of your reasons to choose Switzerland and the university you’re applying to. Elaborate on the program you wish to pursue, and detail your academic goals and dreams.
- Add substance to your SOP by sharing your research ambitions and the path you envision in your chosen field.
- Overall, make it concise, yet attractive. Make it to the point, yet cover all the aspects of your background. Practice and you shall preach.
The Layout of an SOP for Switzerland
How must one go on about writing an SOP for Switzerland universities, exactly? We have summarized the layout below.
Start your SOP with an anecdote or an academic achievement related to your course of study. Emphasize it and introduce yourself via your experiences.
Your Academic Journey
Take the academic council through your academic journey but play importance on the way it contributed to your growth and the progress you made. Stay to the point.
What motivated you to choose this particular course in this particular university in this particular country? Be honest, but be smart. Share what stood out to you the most about the program that the university has been offering.
Discuss Your Gap Year, if any
This is the time to discuss any kind of gap year in your academic life if any. Share relevant experiences from that life, and how they prompted you to reach where you are. Talk about how the gap year contributed to your development rather than being a hindrance.
How have you been in your professional workplace? How are you within a team? Are you a team player? Include examples and instances from your work life and share professional experiences that elucidate your reason for joining the particular course of study.
Talk About Your Achievements
Other than your academic and professional background, what has your co-curricular achievements s been like? Elaborate on that in this section.
Just the way you talked about the reasons for joining the course you’re going for, what were the main attributes of Switzerland and your chosen university that made you say yes to them? Elaborate.
This section of your SOP is the most important one. Talk about how your academic profile and the university’s profile complement each other. Tailor this part as per each university’s expectations. Don’t plagiarise. Be original.
Basic Sample SOP for Switzerland
Here is a short, basic, example of an SOP of a student who wants to pursue a master’s in the field of computer science. For this university, the word limit was 250 – 500 words.
Top Universities in Switzerland
Below-mentioned universities are the best in Switzerland that you can apply to. Here is a list:
|ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology||8|
|University of Zurich||70|
|University of Bern||119|
|University of Basel||138|
|University of Lausanne||176|
|University of Geneva||105|
|Università della Svizzera italiana (USI)||240|
Fall intake and Spring intake are the best for Switzerland.
Although it is pretty straightforward to apply and get admission into a Swiss university, you will need a solid foundation and a Statement of Purpose (SOP).
Yes, Switzerland accepts IELTS.
It is usually recommended to write an SOP for Switzerland within 800 to 1000 words (1-2 pages long).
This was all about SOP for Switzerland! You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so you can realize your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.