Be it class 9 English syllabus or in class 11th, students are taught many fundamental concepts of English at the school level. It is important to be thorough with them as most of these concepts are applicable in English for competitive exams as well as throughout the career of an individual. Be it entry-level employees or top-level managerial positions, good command over language always sets an individual apart. Out of the many, one such concept is omission correction. Since it assesses your basic English grammar skills, it is important to practice as many Omission exercises as possible.
This Blog Includes:
What are the Omission Exercises?
A typical omission question comprises a short paragraph or 6-7 separate lines of which, each of them has a missing word or phrase. The sentence is inherently incomplete and incorrect without that missing word. Keeping in mind the pronoun and tenses rule, you have to solve the questions. Here are some pointers on how practicing omission exercises can help you:
- Improves grammatical and articulation skills.
- For students who wish to pursue content or Creative Writing courses, omission exercises are really helpful in building a good foundation on how sentences should be structured.
- It stays relevant not just throughout the academic career, but also in day-to-day activities.
Download Omission Exercises Here
How to Solve Omission Exercises?
While attempting questions on Omission, you should keep the following points in mind. These tips are fundamental rules that apply to every question, helping you solve even the trickiest omission exercises within minutes.
- Always look for subject-verb agreement in sentences. If you see any anomaly in the same, look for the best alternative among the available choices that fit the sentence.
- Ensure that the tense consistency is maintained not just throughout the sentence, but the whole passage. As a consistent tense string is a trademark of grammatical correctness, it would greatly help you in solving omission exercises.
- Look for pronoun-antecedent agreement throughout the passage. In case there is an omission of pronoun, it would be easier to spot by identifying if the passage is in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd person. Similarly, the number of subjects is also crucial.
- Often, the sentences omit articles used before a noun. These articles can be easily identified as a missing article makes a sentence feel incomplete.
- Conjunction omission disturbs the sentence structure. Conjunctions link two sentences together, hence if there is a lack of punctuation or linking words between two sentences, there is a high chance of omission.
- Read the whole passage carefully before starting with the first sentence. Often, this practice helps you in identifying any omission in the first sentence.
Sample Omission Questions
To help you understand these concepts better, let’s put these principles into practice. Here are some sample omission exercises for you to attempt.
Q1: In the sentences below, there are omitted words. Insert the required word to complete the omission exercise.
|It is a well_fact that regular||well||fact|
|Exercise_several benefits but||exercise||several|
|Recent research_found that||research||found|
|your memory_bone density||memory||bone|
Q2: The sentences in questions 2 and 3 have a single omitted word. Insert the required word to complete the omission exercises.
|Filled with_sense of||with||sense|
|pride_he will be representing||pride||he|
|his state_national level, Sunil||state||national|
|Is training very hard. _he has||hard||he|
|represented state before, _says||before||says|
|that_is always a proud moment||that||is|
Q3: In the sentences below, there are omitted words. Insert the required word to complete the omission exercise.
|Three robbers broke__a goods shop yesterday.||broke||a|
|They found the cash-box__took it.||cash-box||took|
|But before they__leave the shop, Police||they||leave|
|barged in and arrested all__them.||all||them|
Q4: The sentences given below have a single omitted word. Insert the required word to complete the omission exercise.
|doing exercise_reduce heart risk||exercise||reduce|
|and lower the chances_a stroke.||chances||a|
|Be it any form_exercise,||form||exercise|
|It has a positive impact_your||impact||your|
|While regulating your hormones.|
Q5: The sentences given in questions 5 and 6 have omitted words. Insert the required word to complete the omission exercises.
|Mahatma Gandhi_considered one||Gandhi||considered|
|of_most influential men to ever walk||of||most|
|on Earth. Through_principles of||through||principles|
|he won hearts not only in India but|
|Clocks_ a vital part of our daily||clocks||a|
|lives. Over time, it_undergone many changes|
in appearance and
|Inner machinery. However, one_the|
|popular developments_clock making||developments||clock|
|was the use_Quartz stone in|
|Production of clocks_watches.||clocks||watches|
Q7: Insert a well fit word in the given blanks.
|Due_global warming, polar ice caps||Due||global|
|are melting and_a result, the sea level||and||a|
|is rising. Islands_be submerged.||Islands||be|
|The ozone layer_becoming thinner day by day,||layer||becoming|
|resulting in the entering_harmful rays in||entering||harmful|
|the atmosphere,_causes skin diseases||atmosphere||causes|
Q8: The sentences given below have a single omitted word. Insert the required word to complete the omission exercise.
|Using alcohol regularly, even_small||even||small|
|quantities, tends_cause damage to||tends||cause|
|to the various organs_the body.||organs||the|
|It affects_liver, it weakens the mental powers,||affects||liver|
|and lessens the general energy_the body.||energy||the|
Q9: The sentences given below have a single omitted word. Insert the required word to complete the omission exercise.
|The man_forgives a wrongdoing||man||forgives|
|proves himself to_the superior of||to||the|
|the man who wronged him_puts||him||puts|
|Forgiveness_even turn a foe into a friend,||Forgiveness||even|
|so_is the noblest form of revenge.||so||is|
Q10: The sentences given below have a single omitted word. Insert the required word to complete the omission exercise.
|Higher education is_important part of||is||important|
|the life of every individual. Be_any field of||be||any|
|work, the best professionals_always more||professionals||always|
|likely to hail_a rich educational background.||hail||a|
|Education not_provides essential job skills,||not||provides|
|but it also broadens_horizons of the mind.||broadens||horizons|
If you are struggling with the topic, keep on practicing omission exercises and go through basic English concepts like tenses, modals, and prepositions. If you are planning to study abroad, then you must note that this topic forms an essential part of proficiency tests like IELTS and TOEFL. Join Leverage Edu’s live online classes on IELTS and TOEFL and get access to a wide range of practice questions, dedicated doubt’clearing sessions, and last-minute tips and tricks!