USA is considered one of the best universities to pursue an MS in data science. USA is home of Ivy league institutions with many other institutions that put forward their best in the education sector.USA university is best known for its diverse students from around the globe & quality education. MS in data science in the USA is a postgraduate level of study of about 12-24 months.US is ranked in the top 3 countries to pursue a MS in Data science & also in top 3 for providing jobs in Data science. Before we move forward to the college list offering MS in data science in the USA let’s explore a bit about data science.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Data Science?
- Why Should I Pursue Data Science?
- Top 10 Colleges/Universities offering MS in Data Science in USA
- Eligibility Criteria for MS in Data Science in USA
- Application Process
- Additional Documents Required
- Salary and Job roles after MS in Data Science in USA
- Other Universities offering MS in Data in USA
What is Data Science?
Data Science is a field that brings out knowledge and insights from structured & unstructured data with the use of scientific methods, processes, algorithms, and systems and applying this knowledge to different domains of application.
Also Read: BSc in Data Science
Why Should I Pursue Data Science?
- High paying Job – Job in the field of data science provides a good job status as well as remuneration. An individual at entry-level can up to $95,000 whereas a managerial post can earn up to $195,000.
- Rapid Growth – Data Science is a field that has shown tremendous growth before and is continuing the same. An estimate by McKinsey Global Institute is that there would be 250,000 vacancies in 2024.
- More Job opportunities – The industry has more demands in the field of data science and the production number is much less. In conclusion, the jobs are more whereas the person to fill the job is very less making it easier to grab job opportunities.
Also Read: PG in Data Science
Top 10 Colleges/Universities offering MS in Data Science in USA
There are several universities in the USA that teach MS in Data Science. But here are the top 10 universities that you must consider studying in:
- Stanford University
- Columbia University
- Harvard University
- Yale University
- New York University
- University of Southern California
- Indiana University Bloomington
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Boston University
- University of Washington
Also Read: Masters in Data Science in Canada
Stanford University is a private university founded in 1885 and spread across an 8,100-acre campus. Stanford offers undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral research & professional degrees in the field of humanities, sciences, business, education, engineering, law, and medicine & also famous sports teams that have recorded many medals at the Olympic level.
|Course Name||MS in Statistics|
|Cost (In USD)||149,080|
|Cost (In INR)||10897889|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#2|
|University Location||Stanford, California|
Columbia University is a private university founded in 1754 spread across a 36-acre campus & also the 5th oldest educational institution in USA. Columbia University is a part of the Ivy League. The university has been used for filming many movies like Spiderman, Kinsey, Ghostbusters, Mona Lisa’s Smile. Columbia University offers students a chance to conduct their own research, interact with industry experts & excellent faculty and environment.
|Course Name||MS in Data Science|
|Cost (In USD)||63,120|
|Cost (In INR)||4614131|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#17|
|University Location||New York|
Harvard University is a public research university founded in 1636. Harvard university famous around the globe and the oldest university in the united states. Some of the popular courses at Harvard University are Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering & History.
|Course Name||MS Data Science|
|Cost (In USD)||109,760|
|Cost (In INR)||8023560|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#3|
Yale University is a private institution established in 1701 & its campus is spread over 373 acres. Yale University is an ivy league institution. Yale is home to 21% of international students from 120 countries. Yale offers both M.A & MS in data science & statistics.
|Course Name||M.S. in Statistics & Data Science|
|Cost (In USD)||86,600|
|Cost (In INR)||6330542|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#8|
|University Location||New Haven, Connecticut|
New York University
New York University is a private university charted in 1831 & its urban campus is spread across 230 acres. NYU has the highest number of international students as compared to any other university in the USA. & also has a famous quidditch team that was part of the world championship.
|Course Name||M.S in Data Science|
|Cost (In USD)||129,240|
|Cost (In INR)||9447566|
|University Rank ( Times Higher Education 2021)||#26|
|University Location||New York|
Eligibility Criteria for MS in Data Science in USA
Before applying for the course applicants should always check if she/he matches the required eligibility criteria.
|University||Educational Qualification||IELTS||GPA (Out of 4)|
|Stanford University||4 Year- UG degree||7.0||3.96|
|Yale University||UG Degree in the first division||7.0 & above||3.0|
|Columbia University||UG Degree||7.0||3.27|
|Harvard university||UG degree||6.5||3.0|
|New York University||UG degree||7.0||3.0|
- Stanford University doesn’t accept a three-year bachelor’s degree, An applicant can pursue a three-year bachelor’s degree & 2-year master’s degree or choose an integrated course.
- An applicant should have an undergraduate degree in a related field.
- A good GRE is also required for admission.
After getting to know about data science, top universities & checking if you match the eligibility criteria. The next thing is the application process. Here’s how you can apply to these universities.
- Visit the official website of the university
- An applicant has to register themselves and will receive a username.
- Use that username and login into your profile.
- After logging in, fill in the required fields, personal information & educational information.
- Applicants with employment experience, have to fill in the information of employment on the application.
- Select the course you want to pursue.
- Add your personal statement
- Complete the process by paying the application fee. The application fee is different for each university & course.
Also Read: SOP for MS in Data Science
Additional Documents Required
There are some more documents required at the time of application process. The list of documents that will be required are –
- Program Selection and sub-plan declaration
- Transcripts, GPA, Converting International GPA
- Exam scores: GRE General & TOEFL, IELTS
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
Salary and Job roles after MS in Data Science in USA
|Job Role||Average Salary (per annum)|
|Business Analyst||$ 72,000.|
|Data Visualisation Specialist||$76065|
Other Universities offering MS in Data in USA
There is a long list of universities offering MS in data science courses, if you are interested in pursuing the course here is a list of other universities.
- University of Pennsylvania – Master of Science in Engineering in Data Science
- Rutgers University – Masters program in Data Science
- University of Washington – Master of Science in Data Science
- Duke University – Master in Interdisciplinary Data Science
- University at Buffalo – MS in Engineering Sciences – Data Sciences
- University of San Francisco – Master of Science in Data Science
- University of Southern California – Master of Science in Applied Data Science
- Carnegie Mellon University – Master of Computational Data Science
- Tufts University – Master of Science in Data Science
- Clarkson University – Master of Science in Data Analytics
- University of the Pacific – Master of Science in Data Science
- University of Michigan – Ann Arbor – Master’s in Data Science
- Florida International University – Master of Science in Data Science
- Kent State University – M.S in Computer Science -Computational Data Science
- Fairfield University – Master of Science in Applied Data Science
Students can work up to 20 hours a week.
Most of the universities accept ILETS and TOEFL scores, it is always good to check before applying.
The GPA is different for each university, it ranges from 3.0 – 3.5
Yes, the letter of recommendation is mandatory at admissions
Yes, the letter of recommendation is mandatory at admissions.
Yes, some universities do offer part-time courses
Yes, NYU provides a certificate online. You can check this blog for additional information, https://leverageedu.com/blog/nyu-free-online-courses/
We hope this blog was useful & informative in providing details related to MS in Data science in the USA. If you have any doubts & queries regarding the admission process or want to know more about the university connect with Leverage Edu and get help from experts!