If you are the type of person who is fascinated by human behaviour and is interested in knowing how society plays an influential role in our lives, then Sociology would interest you. What could be more exciting than sharpening your sociological perspective by growing out from your own culture and immersing yourself in an entirely new one? Earning a degree in MA Sociology is your chance to understand the various components of society, what brings about change in social patterns and what makes us aware of the consequences of this social change.Here is everything that you should know about MA Sociology:
What is Sociology?
Sociology is a branch of Social Science which deals with the study of human behaviour and issues of the society at both a personal and global level. This subject is concerned with the interaction between humans and society and how cross-cultural interaction plays a huge part in the modern world. Sociology is involved with the use of empirical investigation and critical analysis to build an understanding of social order, acceptance, a series of change or social evolution.
Understanding MA Sociology
MA Sociology is a 1 or 2 years Master’s degree course about the theoretical and comprehensive aspect of Sociology which educates students on an advanced level about the elements of the society, the interactions and functionalities of humans with the same. It is important to understand the developing framework of a society over a period of time and how organisations work in contemporary settings. The overall goal of an MA in Sociology is to provide training beyond the undergraduate level to develop professionals and experts involved in social projects with an aim to develop society and mankind. Moreover, graduates in Sociology are equipped to critically address Criminology issues using appropriate Social Science tools and techniques.
Why Pursue MA Sociology?
- A study in Sociology helps you understand social issues of cross-cultural societies and develop ideas that help shape the modern world.
- Sociology allows you to utilize your communication, analytical and logical skills to understand complex ideas and apply them to practical problems in the society.
- You become sensitive towards differences in society and learn to respect various cultures.
- Graduates in MA Sociology are furnished with development education and practical experience to engage in building equitable, sustainable and positively converged human social environment.
- Career opportunities in research, community programs, human services, government administrative jobs, social advocacy and policy-making in public and private sectors also open up for professionals in Sociology.
Subjects in MA Sociology
- Social Theory and Cultural Identity
- Culture, Modernity and Media
- Health and Society
- Politics and Culture
- Protest and Protest
- Methodological Issues in Social Research
- Issues of World with the aspect of Sociology
- Culture of Digital Play
- New Development in Theories of Gender and Sexuality
- Development and Sustainability
- Quantitative Methods of Sociology
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Contemporary Model of Sociology
Also Read: Career in Industrial Sociology
- The applicant should have completed a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology or a related field from an accredited institution
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE and Cambridge English
Top Universities and Colleges
The best-known countries to pursue an academic qualification in MA Sociology are US, UK, Canada and Australia. There are a lot of globally ranked universities and colleges with Sociology courses for students who are aspiring to a career in research. Along with providing world-class education and infrastructure, universities and colleges abroad offer hands-on experience and training to develop students into professionals and experts in the field:
- University of Pennsylvania
- University College London
- Columbia University
- University of California, Los Angeles
- Cornell University
- University of Toronto
- University of Washington
- University of British Columbia
- Nanyang Technological University
- University of Texas at Austin
- McGill University
Advancing a Career in Sociology
There are innumerable career options in the field of Business, Development Studies, Psychology, Urban Planning, Law, Divinity and other Social Sciences, once you complete your MA Sociology. If you plan to apply practical advanced training in Sociology through Statistics, Research methods and evaluation, you can definitely go for an M.Phil or PhD in Sociology.
Sociology majors help individuals in conducting research on the social world through data analysis by using both statistical tools and quantitative research methods. A study in Sociology teaches you to identify social problems and ways to apply problem-solving skills to these social dilemmas. A master’s degree in this field enables you to act on social work projects in developed and underdeveloped countries. Below is a list of job opportunities for individuals with an interest in Sociology and those who have acquired a master’s degree in Sociology:
- Health Policy Analyst
- Market Research Analyst
- Policy Analyst
- Guidance Counselor
- Human Resources Educator
- Survey Researcher
- Management Consultant
- Human Resources Representative
- Public Relations (PR) Specialist
- Social Worker
- Survey Researcher/Pollster
- Media Planner
Also Read: Scope of Sociology as a Career
If you are someone with a perceptive interest to learn theoretical components and techniques in Sociology, then a degree in MA Sociology is the right choice for you. You can reach out to the counsellors at Leverage Edu who can help you find the perfect university to advance your career in Sociology.