Social Media is one of the best platforms to showcase your creativity. But often, we encounter netizens using designs, arts, pictures originally uploaded or used by others. Furthermore, people also lay false claims over inventions and discoveries of others. To handle such issues, you can immediately get in touch with an Intellectual Property Right professional. Intellectual Property Right (IPR) is a subfield of law that deals with the protection of legal rights related to one’s creative work or inventions. It is generally applicable to Trademarks, Patents, Industrial Design Rights, Copyright, Trade Secrets, etc. If you possess a bachelor’s degree in Law and are in search of an evergrowing field then here is a blog that aims to shed light on various Intellectual Property Rights courses.
This Blog Includes:
About Intellectual Property Rights
Intellectual Property Rights or IPR have grown to a position from where it plays an important role in the global economy’s development over the past two decades. In the 1990s, laws, and regulations were strengthened this area by many countries unilaterally.
In the multilateral level, there was enhanced protection and enforcement of IPRs to the level of solemn international commitment because of the successful conclusion of the Agreement on Trade-related aspects of IPR in the World Trade Organisation.
To enter the latest IPR courses, it is important to fulfil the conditions mentioned by the universities. Be it the institutions in India or Abroad, all the applicants must make sure that they abide by the prerequisites before starting with the application process. The requisites to enter leading universities of abroad for LLM programs are:
- A bachelor’s degree like LLB or its equivalent from a recognized institution with a minimum aggregate score.
- IPR is a specialization field for postgraduate level thus, majority of the universities demand candidates to possess professional experience of 1-2 years
- Applicants also have to prove their efficiency in the English language by qualifying proficiency exams like IELTS, TOEFL, etc with a good score.
- Along with all these, it is beneficial to have LORs (Letter of Recommendation) and SOP (Statement of Purpose) which will help you sail smoothly through the application process.
For the Indian Universities, you must abide by the first two points as mentioned above. Students must note that these are some general requisites. One should confirm the eligibility criteria before starting with the application.
To flourish your knowledge of basic fundamentals, a multitude of variants are available related to the field of IPR. These LLM courses can help you gain a detailed understanding of the principles turning you into a professional equipped with various intricacies of the field. Since IPR springs from a broader domain of law, it has a variety of specializations available catering to the needs of scores of students. Below mentioned are trending courses in this field:
- PG Diploma Intellectual Property Laws
- Executive Diploma in Pharmaceutical (Intellectual Property Rights)
- Certificate in IPRs Law and Procedure
- Certificate in IPR and Parents Law
- LLM in Intellectual Property and Trade Law
- LLM in Intellectual Property Law Business Law
- LLM in Intellectual Property Rights
- LLM in Intellectual Property and Industrial Law
- LLM Legal Practice (Intellectual Property)
- LLM Online Legal Practice (Intellectual Property)
- General Intellectual Property Certificate, Law (JD)
- LLM in Intellectual Property Law
- LLM International Commercial Law with Intellectual Property Law and Management
- LLM Information Technology and Intellectual Property Law
- Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property
- Graduate Certificate in Intellectual Property
Types of Job Roles
Plenty of job roles are open for the aspirant to consider. Check a few of them listed below:
Legal Associates: The duty of a legal associate is to understand client requirements and craft solutions. They provide a solution to clients on intellectual property rights.
Intellectual Property Lawyers: Deals with the client issues related to licensing, patents, trademark law, distribution, copyright, technology, transfers, franchising, and trade secret projects.
Judge: They are responsible for managing the legal process. A judge oversees the proceedings at the court and comes to an unbiased conclusion.
Lecturer: A lecturer is an academic expert who researches, develops, and delivers the laws pertaining to intellectual property.
Author: An curator or creator of any written work exploring intellectual property laws, research, and rights.
Journalist: The role of a journalist is to accumulate, write and distribute a piece of information to the public.
IPR Courses: Popular Universities
Be it India, or law colleges abroad, there are many prominent universities that offer a degree in Intellectual Property Rights. Depending upon the choice of your variant of the IPR program, you can select the university after thoroughly researching. To get the best exposure in this field and to explore numerous opportunities, it is advisable that you must seek overseas education in this domain. Tabulated below are some of the best law colleges in India as well as abroad which you can target for pursuing IPR courses:
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Science
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies
- Banaras Hindu University
- Osmania University
- Amity University
- Annamalai University
- Mumbai University
- Government Law College, Mumbai
- The University of Law, GUS
- DePaul University
- University of Reading
- University of East Anglia UEA
- Nottingham Trent University
- University of Technology Sydney
- Brunel University London
- Swansea University
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Glasgow
- University of West London
Once you attain advanced knowledge through the above-listed programs, you can easily live up to your career aspirations of working in a wide range of work profiles across Media Houses, Research Organizations, Pharmaceutical Industries, etc. Moreover, if you want to establish your career in academia, you can pursue a PhD in Law with Intellectual Property Rights as a major. Enlisted are some work profiles you can profile upon graduating in IPR courses:
- IP Counsel
- IP Analyst
- Research Analyst
- Legal Associate
- Patent Analyst
Top Recruiting Law Firms
Listed below are the top-notch companies that constantly provides employment opportunities to an Intellectual Property Lawyer:
- Khaitan & Co. LLP
- Obhan & Associates
- Remfry & Sagar
- Chadha & Chadha IP
- Intel Advocare
- W.S Kane & Co.
The Recent Developments of IPR in India
The Newsletter aims to bring to you the latest updates in the IP segment. The issues covers:
- Government approves Patent Prosecution Highway Program.
- DRDO grants free patent access to boost indigenous production
- Government brings key changes in Manual of Patent Office Practice and Procedure (2019)
- Filmmaker’s win over Youtube and Google in a Copyright violation case
So, if you want to build a career in Law and want to specialise in a unique field then, pursuing IPR courses can be a suitable option for you. For your smooth admission into the prestigious universities amid the outbreak of COVID-19, having confusion regarding the application process is but obvious. Don’t’ worry. Reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu for assistance in finding the best fit university and course according to your requirements and needs with the help of our revolutionary AI Course Finder. Book your first 30 minutes e-meeting with us today!