One of the most cherished and well-treasured parts of our life is the time spent at college. A place where we not only acquire knowledge but also get the opportunity to meet new people, explore extra-curricular skills, and gain life-changing experiences. It is a place where we go out and absorb as much as possible in a limited window of time. As this life full of spark and loaded with enjoyment comes to an end, the pressures of placement season start to kick in. We can totally relate to the fictional character of Raju from 3 Idiots. Just like him, we may also get cold feet and lose our calm and composure when the pressure is high. In the words of Max Brooks-“If you believe you can accomplish everything by “cramming” at the eleventh hour, by all means, don’t lift a finger now. But you may think twice about beginning to build your ark once it has already started raining”. Thus, in this blog, we will discuss some valuable tips and advice on how to prepare for placements.
Tips on How to Prepare for Placements
Every year, hundreds of thousands of graduates sit for the placements. Due to stiff competition, only the ones who start preparing earlier sail through the round. Thus, in this step-by-step guide on how to prepare for placements, we have broken down the tips below:
The very first step on how to prepare for placements is building an impressive resume.
A resume is a document that summaries the job seeker’s academic qualifications, achievements, extracurricular activities, internships, and volunteer work. Thus, it should be clear, concise, and well put. It is our best shot for creating a favorable on the employer to get short-listed for an interview. Given below are some of the Dos and Don’ts on preparing a resume:
- Make your own customized resume. Go through some templates, try to brainstorm and find words that describe you best.
- Highlight your skills and accomplishments.
- Proof-read the document.
The one thing that holds a vital role in your preparation for placements is the written round. It tests your knowledge related to your specific subject, your logical and analytical thinking, and reasoning ability. So, being prepared for the written round of placements must be at the top of your list.
The third most important tip on how to prepare for placements is to master the group discussion. These days, most of the firms hire individuals who are not only skilled in their field of interest but are also aware of the current issues. This is the round where your knowledge along with your leadership skills is tested.
Also read: How to prepare for GD.
The last and the most important tip on how to prepare for placements is to polish your interview skills. After you have created a good impression on the employer, the next feat is to prepare and crack the Interview. It is something that you need to invest a lot of time in. Following are some points that might help you to present yourself in an elegant and impactful manner:
- Networking is the key. Before you appear in an interview, spend time networking with people who hail from the same background. This will not only help you to gain information about the company but will also help you to answer questions tactfully.
- You can also use the storytelling method to prepare for the Interview.
- STAR Method is another valuable trick on how to prepare for placements. It is a well-structured approach used to respond to a question.
- SITUATION: Provide the basic framework along with the required details of the case in point.
- TASK: Being a part of the team would not yield you any extra points. To make an impression, you have to give a gist of your role in the given example.
- ACTION: The steps that you take in a complicated situation reveal your problem-solving skills and your approach to a situation that is not ideal.
- RESULTS: Finally, all that matters at the end of the day are the results. So, the results of the action being taken determine whether you made the right move or not.
We hope that the above-mentioned suggestions on how to prepare for placements will help you ace the most important exam of your life. You can always reach out to our counselors at Leverage Edu who will not only mentor you for your interview but will also create a job-winning resume that can land you in your dream job.