Many students get confused between a Dissertation and a Thesis. A thesis is an academic essay or a research paper that is written as a part of a higher degree. The aim of a thesis is to prove your opinion through a statement. It has a specific length limit and takes less time to complete. It is extremely important for a student to complete and submit their thesis on time to obtain a Master’s Degree. On the other hand, a dissertation is an academic piece of writing based on one’s independent research. It is meant to be submitted as a part of one’s PhD, Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree. It can take several months or even years to complete a dissertation. It prepares students to develop problem-solving, project management and numerical skills. Read the whole blog to understand the difference between a thesis and a dissertation, its structure, types of dissertations, thesis and dissertation in India, US, EU and more.
|Length||No specific length||100-150 Pages|
|Degree||Doctorate degree||Bachelors or Master’s degree program|
|Submission||Done during the doctoral program||Should be submitted during the completion of a graduate program|
|Purpose||Done to contribute to the field of study through the research||To mark an end to their study program|
Also Read: What is Research Proposal?
This Blog Includes:
Difference Between a Dissertation and a Thesis
The main difference is the purpose of the submission. A Dissertation is meant to be submitted with the aim of projecting the student’s skills and experience throughout the course of their doctoral program. While a Thesis is meant to be submitted to complete one’s master’s degree.
- A Dissertation consumes more time to complete while a thesis can be completed in even 2 weeks as it comes with a specific length.
- A dissertation is completely based on original research; there is no place for secondary research sources.
- A thesis includes primary and secondary sources; there is no need to analyze a particular field of study.
- A thesis requires argumentations to prove a particular point while a dissertation needs a lot of background research. A thesis includes a viewpoint of the findings while a dissertation requires students to extrapolate their findings.
- A thesis is more of an academic research paper while a dissertation is a lot lengthier than a thesis and is required to be submitted in the form of a book.
Structure of Dissertation vs Thesis
The structural difference between the two lies with the length of the document. A dissertation is a lot lengthier than a thesis which is meant to be at least 100 pages long. The outline of both a dissertation and a thesis is quite similar. Below mentioned are the structures:
Structure of a Dissertation
The structure must include the 5 chapters of a dissertation that are mentioned below:
- Chapter I: Introduction
- Chapter II: Review of Literature
- Chapter III: Research Methodology
- Chapter IV: Result Presentation
- Chapter V: Summary, Implications and Conclusions
Structure of a Thesis
Here is the typical outline of a Thesis for your reference:
- Problem Statement
- Review of Literature
- Significance/Implications (Results of the Discussion)
- Overview of Chapter (Conclusion)
Similarities between a Dissertation and a Thesis
- A dissertation and a thesis are extremely important to get the respective degree.
- The aim of both a dissertation and a thesis is to test a student’s research abilities.
- An obvious similarity between the two is the structure/outline that is followed by both.
- Another similarity is the Guidance, teachers and supervisors are assigned to personally guide the students by helping them through the course of the research.
- Plagiarism is meant to be followed strictly while writing a thesis and a dissertation
Some people use the word dissertation as a synonym for a thesis which is not correct. The purpose of a dissertation and a thesis is what makes it complex to understand the difference between the two. This blog has covered almost everything you needed to know about the difference between the two. However, both of them have a lot of similarities but are done for obtaining different degrees. While writing any of them, remember that it is only adding to your skills. The aim is to improve your academic and research skills.
Dissertation vs Thesis in Different Countries
Those who are pursuing a PhD are required to submit a thesis while the ones pursuing an MPhil must submit a dissertation.
A thesis must be submitted to complete a PhD Degree while a dissertation is supposed to be part of a research project.
The purpose of submitting a dissertation and a thesis is completely different. A dissertation is an independent research project to obtain a Doctoral Degree in the US, while a thesis is a shorter research project that is required to obtain a Master’s Degree.
Worried About IELTS? Take a Demo Class with Leverage Live Experts and Learn the Coolest Ways to Ace the Exam in One-Go!
A master’s dissertation is generally between 15,000 and 20,000 words.
The top PhD subjects include physical therapy, education, administration, chemistry, political science and technology.
Yes, you can complete a PhD Degree in 2 years.
Want to study PhD in foreign countries then call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000 and get started on your journey!