The most frequently asked questions on almost all Higher education portals is “what should I do to make my profile irresistible for all the top colleges?” Most simple answer for this question is that there is no magic formula to get into any top university across the globe. It is a mixture of lot of things in your profile which makes you a competitive applicant among others.
There’s a lot you can do to sheen your application. Some of the following written ideas may directly benefit you. In fact working on few of these guidelines may improve your candidacy and make your application look awesome:
- Discover a new language – Enrol yourself for a language course and impress the admission committee. Top three languages to learn are Spanish, French, and German. You can join school community of professional languages to learn a new language.
- Take your favourite sports to another level – Don’t play that sport as a hobby but hire a professional trainer and start participating in Zonals / State level competitions and collect as many certificates as possible. This ability is highly desirable in an undergraduate candidate.
- Enhance your Academic profile – Most important task is to get a strong GPA. As there are no short cuts to hard work, join some classes and prepare well for SAT/ACT and make your profile stronger. Participating in school competitions on regular basis also add on to your profile. Joining national honour societies or other legitimate academic societies where you can demonstrate best of your knowledge, gains wide visibility during admissions process.
- Be more active in school community – Get involved in seminars, fairs, debates or any other extracurricular activities in the school that showcase your leadership, Passion, excellent Time Management ,Commitment and a warm interpersonal relationship with others in an innovative and enthusiastic manner.
- Showcase your talent – Volunteer for research projects with the help of your teachers and use presentations to explain them in various national and global competitions. Such certificates and activities will work like a jewel in your academic crown.
- Start learning atleast one musical instrument – There is always a charm for talented musicians. Such activities present you as a candidate with versatility. This also acts as a indicator of qualities such as creativity.
- Enrol for a relevant online course – Join an online course (or courses) depending upon the availability of time, through edX, Udacity, Course Era etc. Make sure you go for a subject that you are planning to study at undergraduate level. Else you can opt for general courses on creative thinking.
- Take membership at Library – Reading keeps your mind motivated and enhances your speaking and writing ability. It will ultimately help you with writing an impressive and attractive application essay, and you will probably never fumble for words in a group discussion or personal interview. So grab a membership at library or kindle, as the case may be, and use your time well with the new book every month.
- Work on your public speaking Skills -Having remarkable public speaking skills is as desirable a quality in an undergraduate aspirant, as it is in life. Make use of every such opportunity you get at work to sharpen this ability. With good public speaking skills, you can reach and influence a larger number of groups. The ability to talk well to a large group of people is also a key factor to show your terrific leadership and ownership skills.
- Attend meditation classes – Practicing meditation or regular exercise improves both mental and physical health. It is strongly recommended to reduce stress and improve working memory and attention duration. So, try practicing such peace exercises, as it would be a great way to clear your mind and prepare for your hectic group discussions at college level.
- Create your own You tube channel – You know that you have a skill that you are proud of and you have already mastered it, there is nothing better than sharing it with the others? You can create an explainer video series for any topic that you would love to explain. You can use your creativity when making your videos, using various techniques like live-action, innovation, animation. Posting videos and increasing the number of subscribers on your YouTube channel is not only a podium for you to show off your expertise in that particular topic, but is also an opportunity to demonstrate your creative side and increase your circle of influence.
- Be very active on SAT/ACT/AP forums – It’s always amazing to be helpful! Share all that you’ve learned with your peers on College Board, and any other network that you are following. Reciprocity is a powerful human tool- if you help out fellow aspirants; you are widening the network of people who are at some stage likely to help you in return. Stay active at blogs, articles, any other information related to undergraduate College and universities. This will help you to stay updated about all new developments and trends in this space.
The list is non-ending, now that you know a couple of things you could do to improve your profile, here are two key points to keep in mind while you outshine as an Undergraduate Applicant to universities.
Choose activities that would facilitate you to break the stereotype candidate image of your application and creates an interest among admission committee. For example joining an NGO or active social service might not really differentiate you that much, because most of Indian aspirants tend to have such experiences on their profile. Pick and choose something unexpected that will stick in the minds of the admission’s team. Say, if you are keen for accountancy then showcase a skill that is not expected of an accountant, such as writing creativity, art or poetry, this will mark your profile as a memorable one.
The second essential aim should be to learn the art of storytelling. Telling your stories perfectly is not a skill that comes very naturally to most students. However, with a little guidance and supervision you can master the art of presenting your story in such a way as to make it sound unique and unforgettable. How do you get better at this? There are some great books available on pitching your college application well. Besides, you can also reach out to application consultants to help you frame a winning college application.
In a nutshell, it’s not just your grades and SAT/ACT scores that universities are looking for. In you, they would like to see a prospective candidate who can bring with him a variety of skills, can contribute in learning and can grow as a learned professional.
– Team Leverage