If you are familiar with the question pattern of examinations like the GRE and GMAT then you must be familiar with the data interpretation section. This might be a tricky section for you if you are not familiar with how to go about the reasoning and analytical aspects of the paper as well as the tricks behind this pattern. This article will give you an idea of how to go about solving these questions. So if you are planning on appearing for the GRE or the GMAT any time soon here are all the data interpretation tricks for GMAT and GRE.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Data Interpretation?
- Data Interpretation Tricks for GRE/ GMAT
- Data Interpretation Tricks- Things to Keep in Mind
- Tips on How to Answer Data Interpretation Questions
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation Questions
What is Data Interpretation?
Data interpretation can be referred to as the process of interpreting data or making sense of it. This data can be presented in various forms such as pie charts, line graphs, graphs, etc. This test helps you in determining your decision-making abilities, speed, and analytical skills. Data interpretation then becomes an important factor in exams like GRE and GMAT because the aim of the section is to test your reasoning skills. Data interpretation is not just limited to interpreting data but also identifying the lack of it and using your reasoning skills to analyze whether something needs to be added to the data or not. Apart from interpreting data like graphs and charts, one is also given a couple of statements which need to be interpreted for answering the questions. Data interpretation can become tricky because of the amount of data provided and hence it is important that you have certain data interpretation tricks up your sleeves.
Data Interpretation Tricks for GRE/ GMAT
The questions may be tricky and the format may vary from question to question but there are some tricks that will equip you in a manner that less time is consumed in answering those. If you focus on these tricks then the data interpretation section might not be as scary as it looks. Here are a few basic data interpretation tricks that you should keep in mind while attempting the section:
- Read the question carefully: Read all the labels and analyze the given information thoroughly. Also, feel free to engage in any calculations or rough work. The more you practice the more accurate the answers will be.
- Look for a pattern: One important task is to look for a pattern, you need to go through the passage or the set of numbers carefully and try looking for a pattern which exists for sure, you just need to think a little harder and figure it out.
- Don’t miss any data or sequence: You need to be very focused while attempting this section and make sure that you do not miss out on anything. Although there might be some unnecessary information given in the questions in order to confuse you make sure that you rule out all possibilities.
- Predict an answer: Before looking at the options try to predict an answer with the given pattern and then look for it in the given options. Do not presume something by simply looking at the pattern.
Data Interpretation Tricks- Things to Keep in Mind
You need to keep certain things in mind before you attempt any of the questions. You should be mentally prepared to go through this section. These data interpretation tricks are sure to help you ace this section in the GRE or GMAT, here are a few things that you can keep in mind:
- Focus on the details: You need to read everything carefully and be prepared to go through every question twice before coming to a conclusion.
- Practice: Look for material and sample question papers and try to solve as many of them as possible so that you get a hang on the pattern.
- Take Notes: Taking notes and doing calculations on paper will help you in saving time and it will also help you when you are rechecking the solution.
Tips on How to Answer Data Interpretation Questions
1) You don’t Need a Maths Degree
The first thing to keep in mind is that you don’t need to have studied mathematics at a high level to perform well on questions involving data interpretation. The ability is in analysing the facts, extrapolate it into a mathematical answer, and then maybe use that response to reach a conclusion.
2) Review the Data First
Scan the information after starting with the data. What does the title say? What do the axes or the keys represent? Mentally note whether things are numbers, years or other types of data – but equally, don’t spend too long considering information which may be irrelevant.
3) Answer the Question Asked
Reading the question in its whole will help you determine which specific data is needed (e.g. March and April, not any other months). It’s not like in school where how you solved a problem is valued. An incorrect response is an incorrect response for the numerical reasoning test.
4) Remember it is Multiple Choice
To determine which of the multiple-choice alternatives is the right one, you might not need to figure out the precise right answer. In the example below, for instance, you can see from the multiple choice options that there is only one option or choice that is in the four thousand, therefore you don’t need to continue by multiplying the number after you have divided the total by 3. Choose the response, then carry on.
How to Prepare for Data Interpretation Questions
Revise and Practice your Skills
Review fundamental arithmetic concepts like averages, percentages, fractions, etc. until you are able to recognise them with ease and calculate them without consulting a formula.
Even if the numerical reasoning test you take doesn’t have a time limit, keep in mind that recruiters will typically be looking at how quickly you were able to get a whole set of answers correct. As a result, you should be able to respond to these problems rapidly.
Solving problems like data interpretations can be tricky sometimes. While we have provided you with certain data interpretation tricks, you might need more guidance and support while solving certain difficult questions. The experienced experts at Leverage Edu can help you prepare better for these examinations so that you can achieve your dreams without any hindrance.