Virtual internships have become very popular among college students and fresh graduates due to the flexible nature of these work opportunities. These internships are specifically designed for students who have to attend classes and have to appear for a semester and annual examinations. These are short-term internships ranging from 120 hours to 20-30 hours per week. Most large and mid-scale enterprises provide stipends to virtual interns, while certain firms and start-ups only bear the cost of software and hardware required to complete the internship programme. Laden with numerous advantages, these internships are available across many industries.
Interested students or graduates are encouraged to opt for remote internships. Given below are details of these internships. Keep reading!!
This Blog Includes:
What is a Virtual Internship?
A virtual internship or remote internship or online internship refers to a work experience deployment that can be pursued from the comfort of your home or hostel or staycation home. Virtual interns use online communication tools/resources such as Google Meet, Skype, Slack, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and webinars to report to their managers and communicate with their colleagues. You are supposed to get project details from your immediate supervisor and constantly report to them about the daily progress of your internship. Just like on-site internships, online internships have dedicated breaks for lunch and coffee. The coffee breaks can be used to communicate with your peers. Owing to the flexible nature of work and timing, these internships are ideal for college students, high school students, and graduates as these people are wired to adapt to these placement opportunities in their schedule easily.
Also Read: International Internships for Indian Students
Advantages of a Virtual Internship
A well-structured remote internship helps virtual interns expand their career opportunities and utilise their learnings in future job prospects. An impactful internship is a byproduct of extensive induction training of the intern and regular feedback from the supervisor. To improve the quality of these internships and add to the skills of the interns, employers often assign a mentor to interns who guide them with skill-improving workshops.
Listed below are some of the top benefits of virtual internships:
- Saves commute expenses and travel time
- Learn to work in a professional environment
- Establish a network of industry contacts
- Build an impactful CV
- Acquire employability skills
- Earn academic credits during course or semester term
- Fluid work timings
- Easily manageable with class and exam schedule
- No necessity to relocate
- Explore universal ways of working
- Get an internship completion certificate, which counts as a work experience certificate
Must Read: 7 Reasons to Do a Summer Internship
Options of Virtual Internships
Several top multinational companies (MNCs) offer virtual/remote internships for college students and fresh graduates to help them explore infinite possibilities. With the increasing penetration of the internet and the surging popularity of work-from-home culture, many businesses allow for people from all over the world to opt for numerous remote internships.
Companies and Organisations
Some of the most popular companies and organisations offering online/remote internships are:
- Microsoft Corporation
- Procter & Gamble Co
- Institute of Global Studies
- Webster University Athens
- Beyond Academy
- Global Experiences
- ELI Abroad
- Techvolt Software
- SPACIM (OPC) Private Limited
- Intern NZ
- Corporate Line
- DPIIT, Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- 7 Classes
Certain firms provide a monthly stipend to virtual interns but some provide you with internship certificates. The stipend depends on the nature of the job and the pay scale of the company. College graduates and students are advised to confirm their remuneration during the interview process. In addition to a payout and certificate, interns are equipped with employability, technical, and communication skills at the end of the remote internships.
Virtual Internships for High School Students
Here are some of the most sought-after online internships for high school students:
- LLC Mary Miller Summer Program of PHC Group
- EnergyMag Internship
- NASA High School Internship Programme
- United Planet Virtual Internship
- Virtual Internships Foundations Programme
- Pathways Internship Programme of the US State Department
- Google Computer Science Summer Institute (CSSI)
All established business entities, start-ups, and national and international organisations offering remote internships for high school students, college students, and graduates have distinct eligibility requirements. To confirm eligibility requirements, candidates must visit the official website of each entity. However, certain basic criteria remain the same. Given below are the common requirements to qualify for an online internship:
- For high school internships, candidates must be in Class 12 or an equivalent senior secondary level class.
- For internships for college students, candidates must have qualified 10+2 or an equivalent examination and enrolled in an undergraduate programme.
- For internships for college graduates, candidates must have cleared 10+2 and hold a college degree.
How to Apply for Virtual Internships?
College students can apply for virtual internships through websites of enterprises or online portals like LinkedIn, Shine.com, Indeed.com, virtualinternships.com, The Intern Group, The Forgae, InsideSherpa, and others.
Interested candidates can follow these guidelines to apply for these internships:
- Check out virtual internships of your choice.
- Visit the official websites of firms or online job portals.
- Upload your updated CV/Resume; Cover Letter; and other mandatory documents.
- Upload Internship Request Letter
- Submit writing samples/portfolio, if applicable.
- If your CV gets shortlisted, a representative or HR of the company will call you and schedule an interview.
- After a virtual interview or telephone interview, you will be selected for the internship.
Must Read: How to Crack a Personal Interview
A remote internship can help virtual interns gain academic credits, professional experience, a completion certificate, communication and technical skills, and a network of contacts.
Remote internships are available at established firms and start-ups all over the world. These working opportunities are available in industries like software engineering, education, sports management, and green technology.
To enter an online internship, interested students/candidates must check out the job/placement section of the websites of firms. Additionally, candidates can check out job portals kine virtualinternships.com; InsideSherpa, Shine.com, LinkedIn, etc.
Hope this blog will help you find a virtual internship and make you realise its importance in your professional career. Stay connected with Leverage Edu to learn more about such opportunities.