For the Students aspiring to study and work in Canada, the most popular pathway for entry is the SW 1 visa. The SW 1 visa allows the students to work for only 20 hours a week. After the student visa expires the students are not allowed to stay in Canada. The following blog will guide you through the SW 1 visa eligibility criteria, the required documents, application fees & process, etc.
This Blog Includes:
- What is a SW 1 Visa?
- Eligibility Criteria for SW 1 Visa Canada
- Documents Required for SW 1 Visa Canada
- Application Process for SW 1 Visa Canada
- Application Fees for SW 1 Visa Canada
- Processing Time for SW 1 Visa Canada
- Validity of SW 1 Visa for Overseas Students
What is a SW 1 Visa?
SW 1 visa is a type of student visa for students who are planning to study in Canada. SW 1 visa is specifically for those students who are going for a Co-op program i.e. they are required to work at some point during their study program. International students need not apply for a Co-op work permit to work in Canada as students. This is because the SW 1 visa already allows the students to work during their studies.
Also Read: Permanent Resident Visa For Canada
Eligibility Criteria for SW 1 Visa Canada
In order to be eligible for a SW 1 visa the students will have to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Students must get themselves enrolled at a designated learning institution.
- The DLI of Overseas students must be on the list of DLIs with the approval of a COVID-19 readiness plan.
- The students must be able to prove that they are eligible to manage the expenses of themselves and their families in Canada.
- The students must be willing to follow Canadian laws and regulations.
- Students with no criminal record.
- It is mandatory to prove to an officer that the students will leave Canada once their visa expires.
Documents Required for SW 1 Visa Canada
For a smooth application process of the SW 1 visa, the students are required to submit the following documents. The basic documents required for a visa to Canada are mentioned below:
- An acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution.
- A valid travel document such as a passport.
- Proof of funds showing that you can support yourself and your family members coming to Canada.
- Medical Report
- Police Clearance
- Identity Proof
- Custodian Report
Application Process for SW 1 Visa Canada
In order to study and work in Canada the students are required to apply for a visa. Check below the application process for the visa:
- Firstly get an acceptance letter from a designated institution.
- Should have a valid passport or travel document.
- Apply for the visa in Canada either online or by visiting an application centre for the visa in the resident country.
Application Fees for SW 1 Visa Canada
The students will have to pay the application fees mentioned below to successfully complete the application process for SW 1 visa Canada.
|Study permit (including extensions) – per person||150|
|Restore your status as a studentRestore your status ($200) and get a new study permit ($150)||350|
Also Read: What to do After 485 Visa Expires?
Processing Time for SW 1 Visa Canada
The processing time for a Canada visa depends upon the resident country and the number of applications received. Sometimes the visa process may even take 3 months.
Factors Affecting SW 1 Visa Canada Processing Time
- Category of Visa – Different categories of visas have different requirements therefore the processing time depends upon the type of visa category. However, usually the student visa takes up to 3-5 weeks.
- Resident Country – The processing time of the SW 1 visa also depends upon the country from which the visa is applied. Some countries may have higher volumes of applications, which increases the workload on immigration officers.
- Application Status – It is essential to submit an accurate and complete visa application for timely processing.
- Background and Security Check – The process of background and security checks often delays the process of SW 1 visa Canada.
Validity of SW 1 Visa for Overseas Students
The validity of the SW 1 visa for overseas students lasts for the duration of their educational program. For example: if a student will be studying for two years in Canada the visa will be issued for the same amount of time. However, mostly the student visa is offered for a period of 2-4 years.
Visa Extension for Canadian Students
If you wish to stay for a longer period than what is mentioned on your visa then you must apply for a study permit extension before the visa expires. Steps to apply for visa extension for Canadian students.
- Apply for immigration, refugees, and Canadian citizenship.
- The application must be submitted electronically unless stated otherwise.
- Application for visa extension needs to be submitted before the expiry of the current study permit.
Note: If you fail to apply for a visa extension before the current visa expires then the students can apply for a restoration status for up to 90 days according to the expiry date.
Also Read: Canada Visa Requirements for Indian Students
No, the students with SW 1 visas are allowed to work for only 20 hours a week.
The SW 1 visas are given to students who are going for a Co-op program which means they must work at some point during their studies.
Students with a SW 1 visa will be allowed to study and work at the same time in Canada. This in turn will help the candidates to earn extra money during their studies.
We hope you now understand what is SW 1 visa and how to apply for it! Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu and we will guide you on your dream journey!