“We regret to inform you that we’ve selected another candidate”. Sometimes, candidates have the same level of experience and expertise but only one of them gets hired. Poor communication skills are usually the reason employers don’t hire such candidates. Companies seek candidates who can communicate effectively as it boosts morale, engagement, productivity, and satisfaction. A survey conducted by Expert Market found that 28% of employees listed poor communication as the reason why they weren’t able to finish projects on time. Miscommunication costs businesses with at least 100 employees approximately $450,000 or more a year on average. That’s an astonishing number! In this blog, we have listed the best communication skills to help you succeed at work.
This Blog Includes:
How Do Communication Skills Help at Work?
Communication in the workplace is essential because it boosts employee morale, engagement, productivity, and satisfaction. Effective communication is also key to better team collaboration and cooperation. Ultimately, effective workplace communication helps drive better results for individuals, teams, and organizations.
What are the 7 C’s of Effective Communication?
The 7 C’s of effective communication are:
- Clear: The message should be easy to understand, without any ambiguity or confusion. It should convey the intended meaning directly and simply.
- Concise: It’s important to convey the message in as few words as possible, while still maintaining clarity. Avoid unnecessary details or information that could distract from the main point.
- Concrete: Provide specific facts, figures, and details rather than using vague or general statements. This enhances the credibility of your message and makes it more convincing.
- Correct: Ensure that the message is free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Mistakes can undermine the credibility of the message and the sender.
- Coherent: The message should flow logically, with ideas and points connected in a clear and organized manner. This helps the audience follow the message easily.
- Complete: The message should contain all necessary information for the audience to understand the context, purpose, and action required. Incomplete messages can lead to confusion or misinterpretation.
- Courteous: Communicate with respect and politeness, recognizing the feelings and viewpoints of others. This fosters positive relationships and promotes a healthy work environment.
5 Best Communication Skills for Workplace Success
Here are the 5 best communication skills for workplace success. Developing these skills will help you achieve your goals.
1. Active Listening
Active listening is the foundation of effective communication. It involves giving your full attention to the speaker, understanding their message, and providing feedback to show you’ve comprehended. This skill helps in better understanding, minimizes misunderstandings, and demonstrates respect for your colleagues’ perspectives. It also helps in building trust and rapport.
Read about 360-degree Feedback here!
2. Clear Verbal and Written Communication
Clear communication is about expressing ideas in a straightforward and understandable manner. This includes using appropriate language, tone, and gestures. Whether in spoken or written form, clarity ensures that your message is received as intended, reducing the chance of confusion or misinterpretation.
3. Empathy and Understanding
Empathy involves recognizing and respecting the feelings and viewpoints of others. It allows you to connect on a deeper level, demonstrating that you value your colleagues’ emotions and concerns. This skill is crucial for building strong relationships, resolving conflicts, and creating a positive work environment.
4. Non-verbal Communication
Non-verbal cues such as body language, facial expressions, and gestures can convey a lot of information. Being aware of and utilizing these cues effectively enhances your ability to convey messages and understand others, even in situations where words alone may not be enough.
Check out these must-have Positive Qualities of a person
5. Conflict Resolution
Conflict is a natural part of any workplace. The ability to identify and resolve conflicts effectively is a vital communication skill. This involves active listening, assertive expression of your own perspective, and finding mutually suitable solutions. It contributes to a more pleasant work environment and stronger team relationships
Check out these Strategies for Effective Team Management
Ans: Effective communication at work requires skills like active listening, clear verbal and written communication, empathy, feedback delivery, conflict resolution, and cultural sensitivity. These skills enable individuals to convey ideas, understand others, resolve conflicts, and build positive relationships, contributing to overall workplace success.
Ans: Improving communication skills involves practicing active listening, seeking feedback, honing written and verbal clarity, and developing empathy. Additionally, participating in workshops or courses, observing effective communicators, and applying learned techniques in real-life situations can significantly enhance one’s communication abilities.
Ans: Communication skills are essential in the workplace as they facilitate effective teamwork, decision-making, conflict resolution, and relationship-building. Clear communication reduces misunderstandings, boosts productivity, and fosters a positive work environment. Strong communication also helps individuals influence decisions, convey ideas persuasively, and advance their careers.
Follow Leverage Edu to get the best advice and for interesting reads, visit our career counselling page.