Masters in Filmmaking is a two-year postgraduate program that is undertaken by students who want to learn more about cinema and the magic it creates. The course trains a student to the professional level of filmmaking skills. Graduates of this program leave with a portfolio of directing, cinematography, editing, production design, and sound credits. Keep reading to learn more about MA Filmmaking eligibility criteria, MA film studies syllabus, MA filmmaking application processes, and MA filmmaking top universities in the world.
|Course Name||Masters in Filmmaking|
|Level of Study||Postgraduate|
|Duration of the course||2 years|
|Cost of Studying Abroad||INR 5-35 Lakh|
|Expected average salary abroad||INR 35-51 Lakh|
|Job options||Film critics, bloggers, scriptwriters, production managers in film studios, etc.|
|Employment areas||Film production houses, magazines, newspapers, etc|
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Masters in Filmmaking?
Choosing to study Masters in Filmmaking is a great idea. Below are the benefits of studying Masters in Filmmaking.
- Students can learn techniques of visual storytelling including directing, cinematography, editing, and postproduction sound design
- Offers exciting career opportunities in film and television production
- Get to explore alternative cinema and gain transferrable skills
- Get work placement opportunities and professional contacts
Masters in Filmmaking Syllabus
The Masters in Filmmaking has four semesters in it. The first semester has a long foundation program where students are exposed to several areas of filmmaking. It includes screenwriting, direction, production, acting, cinematography, editing, and sound design.
Along with these core courses students can also take classes in general education. The General education courses help a student gain knowledge about the historical developments in their specific areas of interest such as classical and folk art, cinema, photography, urban mythology, and digital art, among others.
These subjects are aimed to make students understand better their core subjects and create complete filmmakers. The foundation semester helps a student to create their own story development, filmmaking perspectives, and vision. The second and third semester involves the student taking up one area of specialization.
Masters in Filmmaking Course Specialization
Masters in Filmmaking is a course that contains several subfields. Most of these courses are offered as electives that a student can choose from during their Master’s program.
Also read: Filmmaking courses
The Filmmaking eligibility criteria and the documents required are as follows
- A student should have completed an undergraduate degree with a minimum of second-class standard in a related subject, and/or
- Relevant experience in arts or media production is required
- Submitting English proficiency scores is also a major requirement
- Moreover, you will be required to present a letter of recommendation, and a statement of purpose for admission into foreign universities
English Language Requirements
Here are the English language requirements to study Masters in Filmaking abroad:
Subscribe to Leverage IELTS for more such information
Top Universities for Masters in Filmmaking
Below is the list of the top universities in the world for Masters in Filmmaking
|Filmmaking schools||QS Ranking 2022|
|American Film Institute||N/A|
|University of South California||134|
|Beijing Film Academy||N/A|
|New York University Tish School of the arts||42 (2023)|
|University of California Los Angeles||N/A|
|California Institue of Arts||41|
|The Film and TV school of the academy of performing arts in Prague||N/A|
|Columbia University School of the arts||22|
|The National Film and Television School||N/A|
Also read: Film schools in the UK
Cost of Studying
Here’s the cost of studying Masters in Filmaking abroad:
|Filmmaking schools||Fees||Fees in INR|
|American Film Institute||$38,416 1st year; $37,112 2nd year (plus $8,033 for thesis)||INR 31.59 lakh 1st year, INR 30.51 lakh 2nd year (plus INR 6.60 lakh for thesis)|
|University of South California||$42,000 (plus room and board)||INR 34.53 lakh (plus room and board)|
|Beijing Film Academy||$6,665 to $7,905 per year||INR 5.48 lakh to 6.50 lakh|
|New York University, Tish School of the arts||$45,674||INR 37.55 lakh|
|University of California Los Angeles||$28,651||INR 23.56 lakh|
|California Institue of Arts||$37,684||INR 30.98 lakh|
|The Film and TV school of the academy of performing arts in Prague||$45,674||INR 37.55 lakh|
|Columbia University, School of the arts||$44,264||INR 36.39 lakh|
|The National Film and Television School||$32,000||INR 26.31 lakh|
To apply for Masters in Filmmaking students can follow the steps below:
- Go to AI course Finder and experts at Leverage Edu will start your application process
- Submit relevant documents such as the SOPs, Essays, LORs, IELTS or TOEFL score.
- Experts at Leverage Edu will start the application process for accommodation, student visas, and scholarships/student loans after submitting your application and the required documents.
- The time has come to wait for your offer letter which usually takes around 4-6 weeks.
Here’s a list of the documents required to complete your application process at the respective university abroad:
- All official academic Transcripts and diplomas if any
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
- Financial Evidence
Jobs and Salary
Here are the top job profiles for Masters in Filmmaking:
|Motion graphic designer|
The salary range for a Filmmaker abroad is US$43,098 to US$62,655 (INR 35-51 Lakh) per year.
Also Read- Explore a career in Scriptwriting
Ans. No. It is not hard to get a filmmaking job. Students can get hired in several independent and low-budget film productions.
Ans. The best country to pursue Masters in Filmmaking is the USA.
Ans. The best degrees for filmmaking include film production, film studies, mass communication, and animation.
Masters in Filmmaking in India graduates can develop new skills. It includes having a firm grasp of creative storytelling through technical knowledge. Students can also understand several business practices that can be useful in a variety of careers. Need help with study abroad admissions? Call us at 1800 572 000 and book our free 30-minute counseling session today.