Do you see yourself using computer graphics to create animation and special effects? If yes, you should consider becoming a VFX artist. The job of a VFX artist is to create digital imagery and integrate this imagery into TV, Films, or even Video Games. You need to be skilled to create digital imagery which resembles reality, and the user should believe the animation to be true. Planning a career as a VFX artist requires skill, patience, perseverance, and creativity. This blog is your guide to the profession of a VFX Artist!
|Full-Form||Visual Effects Artist|
|Course Duration||1-3 Years|
|Course Type||Certification/ Diploma/ UG Course|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based, Entrance Exam|
|Fees (Average)||INR 3.4 LPA|
|Salary||2.5 – 4LPA|
This Blog Includes:
- Who is a VFX Artist?
- How To Become a VFX Artist?
- VFX Artist Courses
- VFX Subjects and Syllabus
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Cost of Study
- Top Universities Abroad
- Top Colleges in India
- Scope of VFX Artist in India & Abroad
- Job Profiles
- Top Employment Areas
Who is a VFX Artist?
Visual effects artists use several computer software in order to create animations and special effects to enhance movies with realistic-looking digital elements that are impractical, dangerous, expensive, and even impossible to exist.
Key Responsibilities of VFX Artist
- Creating high-quality & performance visuals within the set budget.
- Conceptualize, design, and be able to create special effects like shader effects, particle effects, dynamic simulations, etc.
Skills Required to Become a VFX Artist
The below-mentioned skills will help you become a successful VFX Artist –
- Composition and Light
- Visual Aesthetics
- Passion for Film
- Communication Skills
How To Become a VFX Artist?
Below are the steps you need to follow to become a VFX Artist –
Step 1: Complete your GCSEs
Step 2: Develop your skills and start preparing a portfolio of your work
Step 3: Apply for a University Degree
Step 4: Complete an internship
|Step 5: Choose a specialization
Step 6: Explore freelancing & other open roles at companies
VFX Artist Courses
Following are the courses that can be pursued in order to become a VFX artist:
|Name of the Programme||Type of Programme||Duration|
|Certification in VFX||Certificate Programme||2 Months|
|International Programme VFX||Certificate Programme||2 Years|
|Professional Programme in VFX||Certificate Programme||1 Year 5 Months|
|Advance Programme in VFX||Certificate Programme||2 Years 1 Month|
|Diploma in VFX||Diploma Programme||2 Years|
|B.Sc in Gaming and VFX||Undergraduate Degree Programme||3 Years|
|B.Sc. in 3D Animation and Visual Graphic||Undergraduate Degree Programme||3 Years|
|B.Sc. in Animation and VFX||Undergraduate Degree Programme||3 Years|
VFX Subjects and Syllabus
The course structure varies depending on the Institute, however, some common topics of a VFX course are –
|Subjects & Syllabus|
|3D Design||Advanced Particle Effects|
|Stereoscopic Pipeline||Projection for Visual Effects|
|Digital Design||Basics of Photography|
|Time Warping||3D for NUKE|
|Match moving & Camera tracking||Advance Roto Techniques|
|Day to Night Conversion||Creating Visual Effects Element|
|Maya and NUKE Integration||Digital Makeup|
The basic eligibility criteria to become a VFX Artist at UG & PG levels is –
- Aspirants must clear their 10+2 or equivalent from boards such as HSC, CBSE, ISC, IBDP, etc, from any stream (Science, Humanities, Commerce) they prefer.
PG Diploma Courses
- Candidates must complete graduation from a recognized institution to be able to pursue Diploma. Aspirants from all streams are eligible to apply if they possess the necessary skill-set and aptitude.
- First, shortlist the universities you wish to apply to and register an interest on the college website of the respective universities.
- Talk to the respective person from the admissions office allocated to you and ask all your doubts regarding the courses.
- Send in your completed application along with your relevant portfolio, work experience details, letters of recommendation, etc.
- If your profile is suitable, the university will contact you for an interview and you will have 10-15 days to appear for an interview.
- If you clear the interview, you will be asked to deposit the tuition fees for the first semester.
- Subsequently, you can apply for a visa.
Indian Universities and Colleges
- Online Application is the most suitable form where candidates have to fill an online form and pay the application fee.
- Some colleges conduct entrance tests such as :
- NID DAT Prelims – National Institute of Design conducts its test in two parts. One is called Prelims and the other one is Mains. Prelims is a pen and paper test. The Mains is a studio-based test.
- ITM IDM Entrance Test – The ITM Group of institutions have the test taken in two parts, (two hours each). One is the Common Intelligence Test (CIT) and the second is the Creative Aptitude Test (CAT). The test is held online. A personal interview is taken once the test is complete.
- BIT Entrance Test – The Birla Institute of Technology conducts this online test which is followed by an interview. The test is known as the Creative Aptitude Test (90 minutes). The selections are based on 10+2 marks (50%) plus performance in the entrance test (40%) and interview (10%).
Here are some of the important documents that are required for international students seekings admissions in the VFX Artist course:
- Official academic transcripts
- English language proficiency score
- University supplementary form
- Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
- SAT Score is recommended
- Updated CV/Resume
- A passport & UK Student Visa
- Bank Statements
Cost of Study
The average fees for the VFX courses in India range from a low of INR 54,000 to a high of INR 185,000 per year. It depends on the choice of college as well as the duration of the course.
Top Universities Abroad
|Auckland University of Technology||New Zealand||Bachelor of Visual Arts||3 Years|
|Durham University||UK||Visual Arts and Film BA (Hons)||3 Years|
|The University of Adelaide||Australia||BA (Art History & Visual Culture)||3 Years|
|University of Malaya||Malaysia||Master of Art (Visual Arts)||3 Years|
|University of The Fraser Valley||Canada||Bachelor of Fine Arts – Visual Arts||4 Years|
|Northern Kentucky University||US||B.A./B.S. in Visual Arts||3 Years|
Top Colleges in India
Some of the popular colleges for VFX courses in India are –
- FX School, Mumbai
- Times & Trends Academy, Pune
- Arena Animation, Mumbai
- Zee Institute of Creative Arts (ZICA), Indore
- Chandigarh University
Scope of VFX Artist in India & Abroad
- According to the collected data, the scope for the VFX & post-production industry in India has increased from ₹39bn to ₹68bn between the years 2016 – 2019.
- The current estimate states that the industry will be worth ₹147 bn by the year 2024.
- The market size of VFX was US$ 156 billion in 2020 globally and is expected to grow more at a CAGR of approx 11.5% between 2021 to 2026.
Below is a list of job profiles that you may qualify for, based on your experience & degree in visual arts –
Top Employment Areas
After studying visual art, students can work in a variety of industries. You can choose from several options depending on your area of interest. Your potential employment areas can be :
- Interior Design Departments
- Art Studios
- Advertising Agencies
- Film & Motion Pictures and Media Producers
- Newspaper & Publishing Houses
VFX artists often use paid and non paid software programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe After Effects, Unity, Nuke, Blender, ZBrush, Foundry Modo, Hitfilm Express, Fusion 16, Autodesk Maya, etc
There are several books that can help you in learning the basics like Acting for Animators – Ed Hooks, The Art & Science of Digital Compositing – Ron Brinkmann, Masters of FX – Ian Failes, The Filmmaker’s Guide to Visual Effects – Eran Dinur, etc. More than the books, you need practical learning to succeed.
Yes, you can join any of the following communities to stay at the top in your career FX Guide, 3D Total, Reddit, The Rookies, Artstation, CG Society, etc.
The companies on the constant lookout for VFX Artists are Netflix, Cinesite, Framestore, Weta Digital, Pixar, Double Negative, etc.
Some inspirational VFX Artists that are worth knowing include Marc Simonetti (Game of Thrones), Aaron McBride (Pirates of the Caribbean), Carlos Baena (Toy Story 3, Cars, Finding Nemo), Raphael Lacoste (Assassin’s Creed: Origins), Allan McKay (Destiny, Transformers Dark of the Moon), etc.
The careers of visual artists are diverse and full of surprises. If you prefer a dynamic work environment, then becoming a VFX Artist is your calling. To have a versatile career, use Leverage Edu’s intelligent AI tools to find the right fit university & courses today.