Ireland offers a variety of courses and university choices along with innovation and research opportunities. Therefore, many students aspire to study in Ireland. To get a student visa in Ireland the candidates must apply for an Ireland student visa. Both types of visa short and long are available in Ireland. The candidates who will be staying in Ireland for less than 3 months then have to apply for short-term visas and long-term visas in case of more than 3 months. Check below the article to learn more about Ireland student visas such as the application process, types, eligibility criteria, processing time, fees, etc.
This Blog Includes:
- What is an Ireland Student Visa?
- Types of Ireland Student Visa
- Eligibility Criteria for Ireland Student Visa
- How to Apply for an Ireland Student Visa?
- Ireland Student Visa Age Limit
- Documents Required for Ireland Student Visa
- Application Fees for Ireland Student Visa
- Processing Time for Ireland Student Visa
What is an Ireland Student Visa?
International students who wish to pursue education in Ireland must apply for the Ireland student visa. Non-EEA nationals are required to enrol themselves in full-time courses in Ireland. Candidates who wish to study in Ireland for less than 3 months should apply for a C study visa and if they wish to study in Ireland for more than 3 months, they are required to apply for a D study visa. All the required documents should be submitted in English or should be accompanied by a notarized translation.
Types of Ireland Student Visa
There are two types of student visas in Ireland. Check the types of Ireland student visas given below:
- Type C Visa – This type of visa is also known as short-stay C visa. This visa is issued to candidates who aim to study in Ireland for a very short period such as 90 days. The visa is only issued for training purposes and therefore students cannot work with this visa.
- Type D Visa – This visa is for an extended stay of more than 3 months. International students are allowed to work with this visa.
Eligibility Criteria for Ireland Student Visa
To apply for an Ireland student visa the candidates must satisfy the given minimum eligibility criteria:
- The candidates are required to have a graduate degree with at least 60% from a UGC or AICTE-recognized university.
- They should be at least 18 years of age but there is no restriction on the upper age limit.
- Candidates must score at least 570 on paper-based tests and 90 on web-based tests in IELTS.
- They should have medical insurance.
- They should be able to give complete details about their contact and their reason for staying in Ireland.
- They should provide evidence of financial funds to support themselves in Ireland.
How to Apply for an Ireland Student Visa?
Check the application process for an Ireland student visa given below:
- Firstly check your eligibility to apply for a visa in Ireland
- Visit the official website of INIS and fill out the application form
- Note the unique visa transaction number and then print the application form
- Gather all the required documents to submit along with the application process through mail or post
Check below the deadlines for Ireland Student Visa to Apply:
|Higher Study Options
|Deadline to Apply
|Sep (Major), Feb (Minor)
|6-8 months before the intake month
|Sep (Major), Feb (Minor)
Ireland Student Visa Age Limit
The age limit for Ireland student visa applications is not specified. However, applicants who are below the age of 18 years would require parent/guardian consent, If a student below the age of 18 years obtains a student visa it does not mean that the family members can accompany the student or join the student in Ireland.
Documents Required for Ireland Student Visa
Check below the list of documents required for Ireland visa application:
- Complete the application form with your signature
- An application letter with full name and postal address
- Date of visit to Ireland
- Reason for travelling to Ireland
- Two colored passport-sized photographs
- Copy of current passports and previous passports
- Evidence showing that you have enrolled in a private course
- Evidence of application fee payment
- Evidence of English Language
- Proof of financial funds to support themselves in Ireland
- Proof of medical insurance and record of visa refusals in the past
Application Fees for Ireland Student Visa
The cost of an Ireland visa ranges between € 80 and €150 depending on the type. The two types of visa are type C and type D. Check below the application fees as per the visa type and entry type:
|Long Stay D Visa
|Short Stay C Visa
Processing Time for Ireland Student Visa
The processing time of an Ireland visa depends upon the countries, visa offices, embassies, and consulate. Apart from this, the visa may also get delayed if there are a vast number of applications at the same time. However, the decision can be expected within 8 – 10 weeks from the date of application.
There can be delays in visa processing if:
- All the documents are not submitted properly
- If verification is required for the supporting documents
Yes, most of the colleges in Ireland require the candidates to get an IELTS score of 6.5 to get admission.
Usually, the processing time of an Ireland visa is 8 – 10 weeks. This period starts from the date of application.
There are two types of Ireland visa – Type C and Type D. Type C is for less than 3 months and Type D is for more than 3 months.
Yes. The student visa holder can work up to 20 hours per week in a term time. Else, the student can work 40 hours per week during college vacations.
We hope you now understand what is an Ireland Student Visa, the application process, processing time, application fees, etc. Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below, or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu, and we will guide you on your dream journey!