The full form of WFI is the Wrestling Federation of India. Wrestling is an ancient sport that has been played in India since the 5th millennium B.C. and the WFI is the national governing body for wrestling in India at present. It is responsible for regulating, organizing, and promoting all aspects of wrestling as a sport within the country. In this blog, we will delve into WFI full form and get to know more about it.
India’s first-ever individual Olympic wrestling medal was won by Khashaba Dadasaheb Jadhav in the 1952 Helsinki Olympics.
History of WFI
On the 27th of January 1967, the WFI was established. The earlier name of the federation was the Indian Amateur Wrestling Federation (IAWF), but it was later rebranded as WFI. The federation has organized national and international wrestling events and provides a platform for athletes to showcase their skills. It stands as the national governing body for wrestling in India.
Over its 56 years of existence, WFI has had an important role in the development and promotion of wrestling within the country. Furthermore, it is affiliated with the United World Wrestling (UWW). As a member of UWW, WFI contributes to the global wrestling community, thus fostering collaboration and representation on the international stage. The headquarters of the WFI is situated in New Delhi, India, and the is led by President Sanjay Singh and Secretary V.N. Prasood.
Also Read –What is the Full Form of WWF?
Responsibilities of WFI
The WFI carries out a range of responsibilities to ensure the smooth functioning of wrestling in India. Some of its key responsibilities include:
- Organizing and Conducting National Championships: WFI organizes various national wrestling championships across different weight categories and age groups.
- Selection of National Teams: It is responsible for selecting Indian wrestlers who represent the nation in international competitions, including the Olympics and World Championships.
- Promoting Grassroots Development: The federation conducts training programs, talent identification camps, and coaching clinics across the country to discover and nurture promising talent.
- Regulating Wrestling Events: WFI regulates and grants permissions for wrestling events held within the country. This includes ensuring compliance with rules and regulations, providing technical and administrative support, and maintaining discipline and fairness in competitions.
Also Read – What is the Full Form of SAI?
What is the Role of WFI?
Additionally, the Role of WFI is as follows:
- Competition Organization: WFI is responsible for organizing national and international wrestling competitions, further providing a platform for Indian wrestlers to showcase their skills and compete at various levels.
- Talent Identification and Development: The federation focuses on identifying and nurturing wrestling talent through training programs and initiatives, thus ensuring the continuous development of athletes from a young age.
- Global Representation: WFI has an important role in facilitating the participation of Indian wrestlers in international tournaments. It includes the Olympics, further promoting the country’s representation and success on the global stage.
- Collaboration and Promotion: Moreover, the federation collaborates with various stakeholders such as government bodies, sponsors, and media. It does so to promote and popularize wrestling, hence ensuring sustained growth and visibility for the sport.
- Ethical Governance: WFI is tasked with maintaining ethical standards in sports administration, guaranteeing transparency, financial accountability, and compliance with governance principles to uphold the integrity of wrestling in India.
Notable Wrestlers of India
Some notable wrestlers of India are –
- Babita Phogat
- Geeta Phogat
- Bajrang Punia
- Sushil Kumar
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya
- Yogeshwar Dutt
- Sakshi Malik
- Narsingh Yadav
- Divya Kakran
- Deepak Punia
What are the Wrestling Styles in WFI?
In addition, the wrestling styles in WFI are as follows:
- Grappling Wrestling
- Beach Wrestling
- Belt Wrestling
- Turkmey Goresh
- Kazak Kuresh
Other Full Form of WFI
The other full form of WFI is:
- Water for Injection: In the healthcare sector, it is a state of sterile water used to give medications to people intravenously. Other than making solutions, WFI is also used as a cleaning agent.
Popular Full Forms
We hope this blog has helped you understand the WFI full form and everything related to it. If you want to know more, find the 300+ important full form list on our blog. In the world of short forms, you can rely on the Leverage edu page to know about more full forms like this! Connect with us study abroad experts to achieve your international dream today!