A songwriter is becoming a popular profession among students as the field gives them the liberty to express themselves, their thoughts, feelings and emotions through their music. It is an extremely creative profession and has the edge of impacting the lives of others. The field of songwriting is quite dynamic and demanding yet offers great opportunities for professional growth. And if you wish to know how to become a songwriter in India, continue to read this blog.
This Blog Includes:
Who is a Songwriter?
A songwriter is an individual who is a professional musician responsible for composing music and writing the lyrics of a song. A songwriter focuses on writing and crafting original sets of music and lyrics.
Relevant Read: How to Become a Music Composer?
How to Become a Songwriter in India?
Here are the steps to becoming a Songwriter in India. Check them out:
Even though, it is not a requirement to pursue a professional degree in music to become a songwriter yet it does provide an upper edge to a student to study various aspects of the field. Students can choose to pursue a diploma, an undergraduate degree, a postgraduate degree or a PhD in the field of music.
Create a Portfolio
Being in the creative field, creating a portfolio is quite important as it allows an individual to demonstrate their skills and passion towards their field of interest. A potential songwriter should create a portfolio including the sample lyrics of a song and its composition. A music student should include their project work, academic skills, transcripts, and resume.
Gaining experience in the field will allow students to get a deeper knowledge of the field. This will also allow them to meet other artists and potential employers. Students can participate in various music festivals and competitions to start their careers, collaborate with other artists to get more exposure and understand the music styles of other artists, and they can even choose to freelance and get booked shows at various venues.
Expand your Network
Expanding networks can really help students to get to know more about various music competitions, festivals, events and other music workshops. It will also allow them to get to various industry professionals in the field. Students can also build an audience for themselves via various social media platforms.
Relevant Read: How to Become a Music Therapist?
Top Courses to Become a Songwriter?
The following are the popular courses to become a songwriter:
- Bachelor of Music – This course will allow students to have a better understanding of performance, composition and theory
- Bachelor of Arts – It is a wide field that includes various degrees such as musicology, classical music, instrumental music or vocal music depending on their interest
- Master of Music – This postgraduate degree will provide students with advanced knowledge in the field of music and will also allow them to teach music to others
- Doctorate Degree – A PhD in music will allow students to explore various research topics in the field of music
- Doctorate of Musical Arts – Pursuing this degree will allow students to dig deeper into more creative pursuits and instruments
Must Read: PhD Music
The following are the famous institutions in India to pursue music:
|University of Delhi||Delhi|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai|
|University of Madras||Chennai|
|The Calcutta School of Music||West Bengal|
|Sri Venkateswara University||Tirupati|
Relevant Read: Top Music Schools Abroad
The following are the eligibility criteria a candidate should fulfil to pursue a career in music:
- The candidate should have completed their 10+2 level of education in any stream
- To pursue a bachelor in music at a university the candidate will have to score the required minimum aggregate specified by a particular university
- To pursue a master’s in music the candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in music
Skills Required to Become a Songwriter
The following are the skills required to become a songwriter:
- Communications skills
- Technical skills
- Research skills
- Writing skills
Must Read: How to Become a Musician?
Tips to Become a Songwriter
The following are the tips recommended for becoming a songwriter:
- Make a website to showcase your work and make sure to have an impactful about page to enable people to understand your goals and interests
- Have a strong social media presence that will allow you to build your own brand and promote your work
- Publish your work so that it can reach the audience and potential employers can get to know more about you. This will also allow you to get feedback on your work
- If you wish to be a professional musician, learning a musical instrument or two is necessary
Ans. A songwriter is an individual who is a professional musician responsible for composing music and writing the lyrics of a song. A songwriter focuses on writing and crafting original sets of music and lyrics
Ans. The following are the popular courses to be a songwriter:
Bachelor of Music
Bachelor of Arts
Master of Music
Doctorate of Musical Arts
Ans. The following are the skills required to become a songwriter:
Well, we hope that we have provided you with the relevant information on how to become a songwriter in India. And if you wish to study abroad, contact Leverage Edu for full assistance. You can also call us at 1800572000 and book a free session today!