A popular name in the paramedical course list, Physiotherapy is an area of study which is among medical science courses and is a pathway preferred by candidates with a Bipc subject combination. While most of the students with Biology along with MPC subjects opt for MBBS or BDS, some plan to explore the domain of paramedical. Physiotherapy can be defined as a profession of assisting people to maintain, restore and intensify their body strengths. It is also termed Physical Therapy. We present you a blog, that covers all the twist and turns Physiotherapy courses entails!
This Blog Includes:
- What is Physiotherapy?
- Degrees & Diplomas for Physiotherapy Courses
- List of Physiotherapy Courses
- Eligibility Requirements For Physiotherapy Courses
- Entrance Exams for Physiotherapy Courses
- Top Universities Abroad For Physiotherapy Courses
- Top Colleges in India for Physiotherapy Courses
- Jobs and Salary After Physiotherapy Courses
- Suggested Books for Physiotherapy Courses
- Top Online Physiotherapy Courses
- Scope of Physiotherapy
What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy courses are based on science that deals with the well-being and health of people resulting in a better lifestyle. It can help people with backache, sudden injury, asthmatic conditions, pelvic issues, lung problems, bowel problems, muscle strength, etc. Based on different conditions associated with the body, physios exhibit knowledge in the following:
Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Whiplash Associated Disorder
|Cardiovascular||Chronic Heart Disease
Rehabilitation After a Heart Attack
Degrees & Diplomas for Physiotherapy Courses
In modern times, a plethora of Physiotherapy courses is available in the field of physiotherapy ranging from short-term diploma courses to postgraduate degree programs. Here is a brief description of degree programs offered by universities across the globe:
Diploma in Physiotherapy
- It is a professional course that falls under medical nursing and can be opted for after the 10+2 educational level.
- You should be from a science background cleared from any recognized board.
- One who has a diploma in physiotherapy can be hired to per best of their capabilities as a researcher, a professor, a manager of therapy, an assistant physiotherapist, lecturer, who can run a private clinic as a physiotherapist.
- Diploma holders in physiotherapy are professionals in human movement performance, physical movement, and function, etc.
Bachelors in Physiotherapy
- It is an advanced undergraduate degree to be completed in 4 years.
- It includes physical movement solely focusing on preventing disease and 6 months of internship at the clinic.
- In order to pursue this course, you have to be passed out of 10+2 from a recognized educational board.
- At the end, of the bachelor’s in physiotherapy, you will be an expert in therapeutic exercise, manual therapy, and curing a range of diseases from spinal injury to stress-related issues.
Masters in Physiotherapy
- The Master’s degree in physiotherapy is a 2-year full-time-based program which is skilling students in case discussions, practical exercises in the field, seminars, assignments, dissertations, and internships.
- The two-year degree expands the horizons of students in collaborative learning and group-based discussions.
- In order to pursue this course, you need to have a bachelor’s degree either in the same field or a health science degree from a recognized educational university with 50% of aggregate marks.
List of Physiotherapy Courses
There are three types of Physiotherapy Courses i.e Bachelors’s, Diploma/Certificate, and Master’s courses. Here is a list of Physiotherapy courses offered by the leading educational institutes across the globe:
Physiotherapy Courses After 12th
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- BSc Occupational Therapy
- BSc Physiotherapy
- Diploma in Physiotherapy
- Certificate in Physiotherapy
Bachelor Physiotherapy Courses
- Bachelor of Physio/Physical Therapy (BPT)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (BOT)
- BSc in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc)
- BSc Physiotherapy
- Sports therapy and rehabilitation (Bsc) Hons
- Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation with Foundation Year BSc (Hons)
- Strength, Conditioning and Rehabilitation BSc (Hons)
- Strength, Conditioning and Rehabilitation with Foundation Year BSc (Hons)
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Health Science
- Bachelor of Applied Sciences
- Diploma in Physiotherapy
Master Physiotherapy Courses
- PGD / Diploma in Physiotherapy
- Master of Physiotherapy
- Master of Health Practises
- Master of Advanced Physiotherapy Practices
- Master in Physiotherapy (MPT)
- Master of Physiotherapy (Neurology)
- MSc in Physiotherapy
- M.D in Physiotherapy
- Master of Physiotherapy in Sports Physiotherapy
- PG Diploma in Sports Physiotherapy
- PhD in Physiotherapy
Eligibility Requirements For Physiotherapy Courses
Though there is not much difference between the UG & PG eligibility criteria there are some universities/colleges that may demand some specific requirements. Let’s take a look at the educational qualifications and documentation requirements:
In order to be eligible to pursue an undergraduate degree from a recognized university or college, students are required to fulfil the below-mentioned criteria:
- Candidates have to pass 10+2 with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- Secondary education qualifications including national and international equivalents.
- Science background with subjects including Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics and English.
- Candidates also have to qualify for the entrance exam for physiotherapy courses i.e Common Entrance Test (CET), GGSIPU CET, etc.
In order to be eligible to pursue a postgraduate degree from a recognized university or college, aspirants are required to meet the following criteria:
- Completed 10+2 in Biological stream.
- The candidate must have qualified for a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university having a 50% more aggregate score.
- General/OBC/ST/SC can apply.
- A student may app also apply for the same master’s course before an internship. Admission is only guaranteed only after completion of an internship.
Apart from being eligible for the Physiotherapy courses, consider the following necessary documents to be submitted to the desired university abroad:
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- SAT score
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Postgraduate applicants have to submit a translation of the degree certificate in case the degree certificate is in another language other than English
How to Apply
Step 1: Find a suitable university
Select the physiotherapy specialization and pick up a suitable university that offers the same. Check placement records, tuition fee break up, course curriculum and work permit norms before applying. If you are facing issues in gathering this data, get in touch with Leverage Edu experts at 1800 57 2000 and get your doubts resolved.
Step 2: Collect scores of proficiency exams
Exams like IELTS or TOEFL are mandatory to apply for physiotherapy courses abroad. Register for Leverage Live and start your preparation today! Check that you meet the entry requirements.
Step 3: Gather other documents
LOR, SOP, essays, updated resumes and official transcripts of previous academic degrees are necessary documents. Go through these requirements and start working on them.
Step 4: Submit your application
Once you have gathered all the required documents and scores of proficiency exams, you are ready to fill the application form. Make sure you enter all the personal and professional information correctly. Also, check the deadlines and plan your time to submit the application.
Step 5: Wait for the offer letter
Universities take a few weeks to evaluate the application. As soon as you get the offer letter, apply for Visa and start pacing for your study abroad journey!
Entrance Exams for Physiotherapy Courses
Most of the universities or colleges conduct the following entrance examinations for admission in bachelor and master physiotherapy courses:
- NEET PG (National Eligibility Entrance Exam for Post-Graduation)
- All India Post Graduate Physiotherapy Entrance Test
- IPU, CET – Can apply for Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University entrance exams.
Top Universities Abroad For Physiotherapy Courses
There is a wide range of universities/colleges offering Physiotherapy courses around the globe. Here we have formulated a list of universities that offers Physiotherapy courses to the aspirants:
- Curtin University
- University of South Australia
- University of Birmingham
- University of Otago
- The University of Sydney
- Monash University
- The University of Queensland
- Charles Sturt University
- Kansas State University
- University of Illinois
Top Colleges in India for Physiotherapy Courses
Physiotherapy is a popular course in India, hence, a bunch of universities and colleges offer this program. for all those who are looking for physiotherapy colleges/universities in India, here is the list for the same:
- Christian Medical College
- Madras Medical College
- Seth GS Medical College
- Kasturba Medical College
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research
- Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research
- Topiwala National Medical College
- Ramaiah Medical College
- Maharajah’s Institute of Medical Sciences
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Baba Farid University of Health Sciences
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences
- NIMS University
- Janardhan Rai Nagar Rajasthan Vidyapeeth University
Jobs and Salary After Physiotherapy Courses
Various job profiles are paid differently according to the designation and the place they are working in. The table given below enlists the careers and jobs candidates can take up post completing of Physiotherapy courses in the very field:
|Job Profile||Average Salary Package (in USD)|
|Osteopath||27,000 – 70,000|
|Therapy Manager||49,000 – 1,12,000|
|Physiotherapist||95,000 – 2,66,000|
|Sports Physio Rehabilitator||35,000 – 78,000|
|Private Physiotherapist||95,000 – 3,00,000|
Suggested Books for Physiotherapy Courses
Physiotherapy books can be used for both academic and real-life practice. We will take a look at the list of books you must consider while studying Physiotherapy courses or while practising in real-life situations:
|MCQs for Master in Physiotherapy by Suraj Kumar||Buy Here|
|Cardiorespiratory Physiotherapy by Eleanor Main||Buy Here|
|Textbook of Therapeutic Exercise by Narayan||Buy Here|
|CPT Physiotherapy MCQs by Dr Paras Bhura||Buy Here|
|The Pocket Book of the chest Physiotherapy by Amrohit||Buy Here|
Top Online Physiotherapy Courses
There are two modes of physical therapy courses, online and offline. However, due to the pandemic, online mode seems to be a safer choice. Online physical therapy courses are provided by multiple providers, such as Udemy, Coursera, etc.
Coursera Online Physiotherapy Courses
- The Role of Physical Therapy and Exercises
- COVID-19 Training for Health Workers
- Medical Neuroscience
- Presenting Chronic Pain
- Teaching and Assessing Clink Skills
Udemy Online Physiotherapy Courses
- Physical Therapy (Theory)
- PNF Approach
- Medicare Provider Enrollment for a Physical Therapist
- 30 Days Posture Makeover
In addition to planning treatment and therapy courses for various patients, physical therapists also need to have several other skills that not only improve their abilities but also allow them to improve their career opportunities.
- Speak in a comfortable and convincing tone
- There must be clarity of speech
- Must be well-versed with types of equipment
- Use of Empathy
- Ability to be influential and persuasive
- Great presentation skills
Scope of Physiotherapy
Physiotherapy is considered a lucrative career option for science students. The table below represents the areas of study that can be taken after completing Physiotherapy courses:
- Cardio Respirology
- Seniors Health
- Physiotherapy Management/Administration
- Private Practice
- Women’s Health
Surely, the market of physiotherapy courses & scope is expanding, however, the dearth of skilful physiotherapists is prevalent. All you need to have is the zeal to excel in the field, the rest can be done by Leverage Edu. Call us at 1800 57 2000 and talk to our expert counsellors and have a bright future ahead. Book a free 30-minute session now!