Have you ever noticed how gardeners work? From planting a seed to watching it bloom into a beautiful flower, they take gentle care of plants throughout their life. They not only pay extra attention to plants that take time to mature but also look for reasons which were a hindrance to their growth. Aren’t teachers like gardeners? In the words of Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, “There is no other profession in the world which is more important to society than that of a teacher”. From imparting knowledge to inspiring students, a teacher is one of the building blocks of a strong nation. They consume themselves to nurture and shape the workforce of the future. In India, there is an array of opportunities to help you start a career in teaching. One such being the Teach For India Fellowship.
The brainchild of Shaheen Mistri, the fellowship is a 2-year program that aims to end educational inequality by bridging the gap between teachers and students. With its first batch in 2009, the Teach For India Fellowship has now spread its wings to many Indian states. It not only provides the fellows with a platform to educate students living in low-income cities, but it also helps in enhancing their leadership skills and problem-solving abilities. In this blog, we will cover all the information pertinent to the Teach For India Fellowship.
Who Can Teach and Where?
- The fellows will be required to teach students from class 2nd-10th in more than 300 low-income schools.
- These schools are situated in Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Pune, Chennai, Ahemdabad, and Hyderabad.
- The fellows will teach subjects like Mathematics, English, Social Sciences, and Science in English medium schools.
- They will also undergo a 5-week residential training before the commencement of the fellowship where they will be familiarized with the curriculum, student assessment techniques, and classroom preparation. The fellows will be given technical training from in-house teachers.
- A mentor will be assigned to each fellow who will guide them throughout the program to help them become efficient teachers.
Also Read: Ramanujan Fellowship for Science Students
Eligibility Criteria and Benefits
Given below is the eligibility criteria for the Teach For India Fellowship:
- The fellowship is open to students, experienced professionals, entrepreneurs, and the working population who are academically proficient and demonstrate good organizational skills.
- The applicants must hold a graduate degree in any discipline from a recognized university or a college.
- They should be Indian citizens or OCI cardholders.
- They should also be fluent in the English Language.
- Rs. 20,412 will be paid to the fellows per month as salary.
- A housing allowance between Rs. 5,300-10,000 will be given to those who have to relocate.
- An allowance for school supplies will also be provided to the fellows.
Teach For India Fellowship Application Dates
Below are the deadlines and the result dates of the 2020-22 Teach For India Fellowship. Applicants are required to fill the form by 10 PM on the respective dates. The results will be communicated to the candidates via email on the below-mentioned dates:
Application and Selection Process of the Teach For India Fellowship
The selection process of the Teach For India Fellowship is holistic, conducted in 3 stages which are :
Stage I: Form and Online Test
The candidates are required to fill an application form after which they have to appear for a 1-hour online test, AMCAT. The test examines verbal ability and reasoning skills which have to be completed within 4 days of filling the application form.
Stage II: Telephonic Interview
Few selected candidates will be called for a 30-minutes telephonic interview after going through their application forms and the AMCAT results.
Stage III: Final Round
The shortlisted candidates will be required to appear in person at the assessment centre of Teach For India Fellowship. They will have to take part in a group discussion, teach a 5-minute lesson, complete a short activity, and appear for a 1-hour long interview with a staff member. A skype interview will be conducted for applicants staying abroad.
Also Read: Gandhi Fellowship: Complete Guide
FAQs Regarding the Teach For India Fellowship
How many fellows does the program have?
Currently, there are approximately 1,100 fellows in the program teaching close to around 38,000 students across 7 cities.
What is the acceptance rate of the program?
The Teach For India Fellowship is a highly selective program with an acceptance rate of 6% to 8.5%
You must now be familiar with the nitty-gritty of the Teach For India Fellowship through this blog. If you are looking for fellowships on the same line abroad then you can contact Leverage Edu. The mentors and counsellors will not only provide you with all the information but will also help you in preparing for such fellowship programs.