Qatar, which is located in the Middle East, is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. The nation saw a tremendous increase in growth and prosperity as a result of its efficient commerce in fuel. With such rapid economic growth, the country has opted to spend wisely in modernizing and internationalizing its higher education. It has established a fine standard of education with students coming from different corners of the world. Qatar is not only witnessing an increase in its own national universities but Western countries have also established branches of their universities in this small gulf country. The latest development in Qatar is the development of Education City which hosts different educational institutions. This blog seeks to explore the opportunities offered by study in Qatar and any concerns associated with it.
|Currency||the Qatari Rial (QR)|
|Population||28.3 lakhs (2019)|
|Time Zone||UTC +3 (AST)|
|Leading University||Qatar University|
|Average Cost of Study||INR 33 lakhs to 35 lakhs|
|Ease of doing business Ranking||45th|
|World Safety Ranking||42nd|
|World Economy Ranking||23rd|
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study in Qatar?
- Popular Universities in Qatar
- Popular Programs to Study in Qatar
- Requirements for Indian Students to Study in Qatar
- Cost of Study in Qatar
- Scholarships to Study in Qatar
- Affordable Universities to Study in Qatar
- Admission Process
- Visa Application Process for Qatar
- Qatari Residence Permit
Why Study in Qatar?
Qatar currently offers high-class education at all levels. The safe atmosphere of Qatar is enticing for students wishing to study abroad. Students can witness a blend of modernity with a fine Arab culture. The country offers various programs for international students to learn Arabic, one of the oldest and vibrant languages in the world. Also, there are a vast number of programs that are mainly taught in English thus dispelling any language barrier.
Popular Universities in Qatar
Choosing the right university is the first step towards establishing a dream educational life and thereby a successful career. Qatar hosts a large number of original universities along with international campuses of renowned universities from different countries of the world. Enlisted below are some of the major universities in Qatar. Listed below is a list of some of the major and most sought-after universities in Qatar which a student can opt for.
National Universities in Qatar
- Qatar University
- Hamad bin Khalifa University
- University Foundation College ِCollege of North Atlantic Qatar
- Community College of Qatar
- Doha Institute for Graduate Studies
- Lusail University
- Qatar Aeronautical College ِ
Foreign Universities in Qatar
- Texas A&M University at Qatar
- Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar
- Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar
- City University College
- German University Qatar
- University College London Qatar (UCL Qatar)
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Calgary
- University of the North Atlantic
- Northumbria University
- Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in Qatar
- HEC Paris in Qatar
- Northwestern University in Qatar
- Stenden University Qatar
- Syscoms Institute
Popular Programs to Study in Qatar
Qatar’s higher education system is comprised of seven universities and 102-degree programs. Furthermore, there are 64 Bachelor’s programs at seven institutions, 23 Master’s programs at five universities, and 15 PhD programs at two universities. Having said that, some of the top and best programs and related fields of study that are available in the universities in Qatar are mentioned below:
- Health Science
- Medical Science
- Hotel Management
Requirements for Indian Students to Study in Qatar
Enlisted below are some of the quintessential requirements for Indian students to study in Qatar. For a prospective student, it is important to be aware of these requirements to ensure a smooth and convenient application process.
- Completion of online application.
- An official and certified transcript of previous educational qualification. For undergraduate programs, a final high school transcript has to be provided.
- Health Certificate.
- Applicants must furnish a copy of their passport.
- Two recent and similar passport size photographs (size 4 x 6 cm). White background in the photographs is mandatory.
- For Indian students, it is vital to have Qatari residents’ permit to apply to university in Qatar along with the student visa.
- English is the main language of communication in Qatari universities therefore it is necessary to demonstrate an ability to use the language by undertaking an English language proficiency test like IELTS or TOEFL.
Also Read: Study in Italy: A Land of Possibilities
Cost of Study in Qatar
Qatar is amongst the most costly countries around the world. Studying in the country might not always be affordable for students coming from different parts of the world. Fees and cost to study in Qatar mainly depend and varies on an individual’s choice of the university. Students of Qatari origin and international students pay the same amount of tuition fees resulting in a standardized system of education fees. The cost of study differs ranging up to a whopping QR 70,000 to 85,000 (INR 17.41 lakhs) and sometimes even more for a single semester. Many universities charge on a credit hour basis. On the basis of credit hours, the universities in Qatar charge QR 1,000 to 1,550 (INR 31,758) per credit hour for study. The amount of credit hours required varies per Master’s degree, although it is often 30 to 35. Most Master’s programs last two years, and many provide the option of writing a thesis (research option) or focusing on practical application through additional coursework or internships. A course’s academic year is divided into two semesters: Fall and Spring. The fall semester lasts from September to January, whereas the spring semester lasts from February to June.
Scholarships to Study in Qatar
Scholarships value the merit in students and attempt to give an opportunity to those diligent students facing financial constraints. There are multiple scholarship opportunities for international applicants coming to study in Qatar. These scholarships are awarded to pursue different programs. Applicants can be selected by their embassies or they can apply directly to the university. A gigantic number of recipients are awarded scholarships every year by universities in Qatar. Some of the major scholarships granted in Qatar are mentioned below.
- Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani Scholarship
- Tamim bin Hamad Scholarship
- GCC States Scholarships
- Outstanding Performance Scholarship
- H.H. the Emir of Qatar’s Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- GCC Qatari Certificate Scholarships
- College of Education Diploma Scholarships
- Short Scholarships for the Arabic Program for Non-Natives
- Tamim Scholarship
- Sanad Scholarship
- QF Merit Scholarships
Affordable Universities to Study in Qatar
You must have witnessed the list of all the national and international universities that are present in Qatar. As we know that education in Qatar is not the most affordable, some of the foreign universities that are present in Qatar have taken up an initiative to try and provide educational facilities to national and international students at slightly affordable rates. Here is a list of a few of the universities in Qatar that have low and very affordable tuition fees for their students, solely for your consideration.
|University in Qatar||Average tuition fee (in USD)|
|University of Qatar||16,000|
|Stenden Qatar University||23,000|
|Texas A&M University||27,000|
|Community College of Qatar||20,000|
|Qatar Aeronautical College||15,000|
Being aware of the admission process while planning to study in Qatar makes it less disconcerting for prospective candidates. It is therefore imperative to be well informed about the application process. Below the application process is methodically organized for a better understanding:
- Complete the online admission applications and recheck it for any possible errors before uploading.
- Upload all the documents to be furnished.
- Submit the application fee along with the admission application online.
- It is necessary to get one’s overseas educational qualifications attested by the Ministry of Education in Qatar and the local Qatari embassy.
Visa Application Process for Qatar
This segment deals with the visa application process which is an integral part of studying abroad. Being aware of the requirements before applying expedites the entire process. The requirements for the visa are as follows:
- Getting clearance from the university.
- University letter requesting a permit for residence.
- Confirmation letter.
- A passport and its copy.
- Three passport size photographs
- Proof showing sufficient means of support
Qatari Residence Permit
After entering the country as an international student, students must apply for a Qatari Residence Permit, which may be obtained via the university’s immigration office. Students must go to the medical commission for blood and physical test as part of the application process for a residency visa. Students must submit their documentation to the University in order for the entrance visa to be converted to a Qatari resident permit. The documents required for the Qatari residence permit are listed below:
- University application confirmation page
- A valid copy of passport
- Affidavit and a valid Qatar ID card/passport copy of financial sponsor.
- Proof of financial reports/statements that indicate the financial status of the sponsor who will bear the study and living expenses of the students during his/her stay in Qatar.
- Health certificate
- Insurance certificate or details
- Certificate of good conduct issued by the relevant authority
- Letter of approval from the students’ guardian or parent
Note: The residence permit of Qatar is stamped into the students’ passport and the students will get an ID card.
Must Read: Best Countries for MS
International students in Qatar often pay the same costs as local students. Tuition costs around $20,000 per year. Tuition costs at certain colleges are charged per credit hour. A student should finish 12 credit hours every semester, which amounts to $2,600 to $3,300 USD.
Yes! Qatar is among the very few countries in the world that do not charge income tax from their citizens. It is also known as the Land of No-TAX!
Many colleges and universities have student employment programs. These are intended to provide students with real-world job experience while they are studying. Most students can work up to 20 hours per week in these programs. Foreign students, on the other hand, are not permitted to work off-campus while on a student visa.
No, it’s not! Education is not free for national and international students in Qatar except for Qatari nationals who can attend Qatar University, the nation’s only public university, for free.
This success builds on QU’s previous rankings performance, which saw the school climb from 276 in the QS World University Ranking in 2020 to 245 in 2021, thereby jumping 31 places and becoming one of the most improved universities.
We hope after reading this blog you have gathered sufficient information about the required processes involved to study in Qatar. Are you aiming to join a top-notch educational university in Qatar? Let the experts at Leverage Edu take care of your academic journey. Book your free 30 minutes of e-counseling with the team now and get ready to step into the sparkling world that awaits you!