Are you a study abroad aspirant? If yes, then having a good grip on English is a must. To pursue education in study destinations such as the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and more where English is the official language, you must provide English Proficiency Test scores. IELTS is one of the most prominent language tests for testing your proficiency in English. The test is categorized into Academic and General. If you aim to take the IELTS but are struggling with IELTS writing task 2, then you are at the right place. Here’s all you need to know about IELTS Writing task 2, topics, samples and more.
This Blog Includes:
What is IELTS Writing Task 2?
In IELTS Academic Writing Task 2, you will be given an essay to write in response to a point of view, argument, or problem. If you are starting an undergraduate, postgraduate or pursuing professional courses, then you will find the problems discussed to be of wide interest. In IELTS General Training Writing Task 2, a similar essay writing task will be given to you but the situations will be different. The essay must be less formal in tone and have a more personal reaction. IELTS Writing Task 2 carries twice the marking of Task 1.
IELTS Writing Task 2 Topics
In IELTS Writing Task 2 Topics, the questions are categorized by themes such as
- Friends and family
- Government and society
- Jobs and Employment
- Science and technology
- Travel and tourism
- TV, music and media
Common IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions and Answers
- For a long time, art has been considered an essential part of all cultures in the world. However, nowadays people’s values have changed, and we tend to consider science, technology and business more important than the arts. What do you think are the causes of this? What can be done to draw people’s attention to art?
- The government’s investment in arts, music and theatre is a waste of money. Governments should invest these funds in public services instead. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
- Studying art in school improves students’ performance in other subjects because it is easier for multi-skilled students to learn new things. That’s why art should be obligatory in schools. Do you agree or disagree?
- As computers are being used more and more in education, there will soon be no role for teachers in the classroom.
- In some countries, young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.
- Some people believe that the best way of learning about life is by listening to the advice of family and friends. Other people believe that the best way of learning about life is through personal experience. Compare the advantages of these two different ways of learning about life. Which do you think is preferable? Use specific examples to support your preference.
- In many countries, sports and exercise classes are replaced with academic subjects. Discuss the effects of this trend.
- The students who study from school to university benefit less and contribute less too, than those students who go to travel or job and get skills and experience before going to high. Do you agree or disagree?
- Do you think businesses should hire employees who will spend their entire lives working for the company? Explain why you agree or disagree. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
- Would you prefer to stay in one company or change companies at one point in your career life? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both scenarios? Give specific details and examples to support your opinion. Do you think that people who work online at home are more productive than office workers or the other way around? Give reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Many countries now face an economic downturn so it is better for each country to focus on its own problems rather than helping other countries. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
- Every country should produce enough of everything that the country needs so it does not have to rely on imports. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
- High job demands, stress and a sense of commitment are among the main reasons people go to work when they are ill. This way they accomplish important tasks, but may infect others or get some serious health problems themselves. In your opinion, should people go to work if they are sick? Support your point of view with relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.
- Today more people are overweight than ever before. What is your opinion are the primary causes of this? What measures can be taken to overcome this epidemic?
- Some people claim that the government should provide free healthcare. Others think that the government will not provide the most innovative methods of treatment and that it’s better to invest those funds in education and culture. What is your opinion?
- Childhood obesity has become a serious problem in recent years. What are the primary causes of this? What measures should be taken to reduce childhood obesity?
- Climate change is a big environmental problem that has become critical in the last couple of decades. Some people claim that humans should stop burning fossil fuels and use only alternative energy resources, such as wind and solar power. Others say that oil, gas and coal are essential for many industries, and not using them will lead to economic collapse. What is your opinion? Support your point of view with relevant examples.
- Production of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses has a heating effect on the atmosphere and results in global warming. Why is global warming considered one of the most serious issues nowadays?
- Nowadays genetically modified food is widespread all over the world. While proponents of GM crops ensure that these foods are safe for human consumption and help to increase food supplies, others argue that their effects on health have not been studied long enough. Describe the pros and cons of genetically modified foods. How can this problem be solved?
- The air we breathe has a major impact on our health and the environment. However, air pollution is constantly growing and at current levels, it can be fought only globally. That is to say, individual efforts to improve air quality will not give any results, and it’s solely the responsibility of our governments to reduce air pollution. Do you agree or disagree?
Sports and Hobbies
- Some people believe that governments should ban dangerous sports even though others claim they should have the freedom to choose a sport to their liking. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
- What book or film do you think portrays a country’s culture the best? Would you recommend it to a foreign friend who wishes to learn and understand that country? Describe the book or film and explain why you would recommend it. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
- International sporting events are costly and bring problems to the hosting country. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give specific reasons and examples to support your position.
- Some say sports facilities are important and they promote healthy lifestyles while others believe they have only a small impact on individuals. What is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- A film can portray the culture and traditions of a country. What films have you watched that tell a specific story of a country? Use specific examples and details to support your response.
- Do you think video games and action films promote violence that could be harmful to children? Why or why not? Give specific details and examples to support your answer.
- Write about a certain hobby that has also provided income for people. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Some people participate in extracurricular activities such as volunteering in charitable events or joining dance groups to gain more knowledge and experience. Others simply focus on their goals such as academic studies or work. Which do you think helps in improving a person’s knowledge and experience? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
- Some people think it is alright to spend money on their wants, such as a new car or the latest gadget. Others think it is better to save their money and only buy what they really need. Which opinion do you agree with and why? Give specific details and examples in your answer.
- Some parents do not allow their children to watch TV during school days. Others allow their children to watch TV as long as their schoolwork is finished. Which approach do you agree with and why? Include specific examples and details in your explanation.
- Some parents prefer to have their children be raised by their grandparents. Some prefer to raise them on their own. Which would you prefer and why? Include specific details and examples to support your choice.
- Some parents allow their teenage children to live independently, away from home. Other parents don’t want their teenage children to live away from them. Which do you think is better and why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
- Some people believe that watching television is bad for children. Other people believe that watching television is educational for children. Which opinion do you agree with and why? Give specific details and examples in your answer.
- Some people believe that people behave differently when they wear different clothes, while others do not believe that clothes influence the way people behave. Which opinion do you agree with and why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
- Some people believe that success comes from hard work. Others believe that success has to do with luck. Which opinion do you agree with and why? Give specific details and examples to support your opinion.
- Some people think the media – television and films – negatively affect people’s behaviour. Others do not think so. How do you think the media affects people’s behaviour? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Some people believe that progress is always good. Others believe in preserving tradition. Which do you think is more important and why? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.
IELTS is a standardized English Proficiency test lasting 2 hours and 45 minutes that consists of Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.
The IELTS Exam is 2 hours and 45 minutes long.
The IELTS Exam includes 2 writing tasks.
Hope now you know all about IELTS Writing Task 2 topics. Choosing the right course and university that runs parallel to your interests is very important. For this, I’m sure you’ll be pleased to take the assistance of an AI-based tool at Leverage Edu that gives you personalised suggestions based on your skills, qualifications and interests.