The most favourite sixth additional subject of all time is “Physical Education”. But Physical Education is way more than just a subject. It is a discipline which aims to impart the knowledge importance of maintaining physical fitness which is a very essential habit to develop at an early age. Thus, it becomes vital to study and follow such a beneficial subject in class 12th. To start a career in Health and Physical Education and opt for courses like Bachelor of Physical Education after class 12th. It is mandatory for students to opt for this subject as a compulsory subject in class 12th. Here is a complete guide of Physical Education class 12 syllabus revised in 2020-21.
This Blog Includes:
- Physical Education Class 12 Syllabus 2020-21
- Deleted Sections in Class 12 Physical Education 2020-21
- Class 12 Physical Education Theory Topics Explained [70 Marks]
- Unit 1: Planning in Sports
- Unit 2: Sports and Nutrition
- Unit 3: Yoga and Lifestyle
- Unit 4: Physical Education & Sports for CWSN (Children With Special Needs – Divyang)
- Unit 5: Children and Women in Sports
- Unit 6: Test and Measurement
- Unit 7: Physiology and Injuries in Sports
- Unit 8: Biomechanics & Sports
- Unit 9: Psychology & Sports
- Unit 10: Training in Sports
- Practicals in Class 12 Physical Education [30 Marks]
- Class 12 Physical Education Study Materials
Physical Education Class 12 Syllabus 2020-21
Due to the ongoing pandemic, the Education minister of India, Ramesh Pokhriyal announced 30% deduction in Class 9 – Class 12 syllabus. Here is the latest revised Class 12 Physical Education syllabus 2020-21:
|1||Planning in Sports|
|2||Sports and Nutrition|
|3||Yoga and Lifestyle|
|4||Physical Education and Sports for CWSN
Children with Special Needs- Divyang
|5||Children and Women and Sports|
|6||Test and Measurement in Sports|
|7||Physiology and Injuries in Sports|
|8||Biomechanics and Sports|
|9||Psychology and Sports|
|10||Training in Sports|
Deleted Sections in Class 12 Physical Education 2020-21
Here are the topics and sections deleted in revised Class 12 Physical Education 2020-21:
- Unit 1: Intramural & Extramural – Meaning, Objectives & Its Significance; Specific Sports Programme (Sports Day, Health Run, Run For Fun, Run For Specific Cause & Run For Unity)
- Unit 3: Back Pain: Tadasana, Ardh Matsyendrasana, Vakrasana, Shalabhasana, Bhujangasana
- Unit 4: Advantage of Physical Activities for children with special needs
- Unit 5: Special consideration (Menarch & Menstrual Dysfunction); Female Athletes Triad (Oestoperosis, Amenoria, Eating Disorders)
- Unit 6: General Motor Fitness–Barrow three-item general motor ability (Standing Broad Jump, Zig Zag Run, Medicine Ball Put – For Boys: 03 Kg & For Girls: 01Kg)
- Unit 7: Physiological changes due to ageing
- Unit 8: Friction & Sports
- Unit 9: Exercise Adherence; Reasons to Exercise, Benefits of Exercise; Strategies for Enhancing Adherence to Exercise
- Unit 10: Circuit Training – Introduction & its importance
Deleted Sections from Practical of Class 12 Physical Education
Practical from Record File: Procedure of carrying out the fitness tests of Senior Citizens of 5 elderly members from your family.
Class 12 Physical Education Theory Topics Explained [70 Marks]
CBSE has released the latest exam structure and syllabus for Physical Education class 12. Let us study each unit with respective topics in detail:
Unit 1: Planning in Sports
The essential topics covered in this unit include meaning and objective of planning; committees & its responsibilities (pre, during and post); tournament – knock out, Round Robin or league & combination; procedure to draw fixture – knock out (bye and seeding) & league (staircase & cyclic).
Unit 2: Sports and Nutrition
The major topics incorporated in this section of Physical Education class 12 syllabus are nutritive and non-nutritive components of diet; eating for weight control – the pitfalls of dieting, a healthy weight, food intolerance and food myths; balanced diet and nutrition – macro and micronutrients.
Unit 3: Yoga and Lifestyle
Asanas as preventive measures; Diabetes – benefits, procedure, contraindications for Bhujangasana, Paschimottasana, Ardh Matsyendrasna, Pavam Muktasna, Pachimottasana; Asthma – benefits, procedure, contraindication for Sukhasana, Gomukhasana, Chakrasana, Matsyasana, Bhujangasana, Parvatasana; Obesity – contraindications for Vajrasana, Trikonasana, Ardha Matsyendrasana, procedure and benefits are the important segments covered in this unit.
Have a look at our blog on career in Sports Journalism.
Unit 4: Physical Education & Sports for CWSN (Children With Special Needs – Divyang)
Unit 4 of the Physical Education class 12 syllabus provides an insight into the different types of disorder (ADHD, SPD, ODD, OCD, ASD), their nature and causes; disability etiquettes; strategies to make physical activities assessable for children with special need; different kinds of disability, their nature and causes (intellectual disability, physical disability, cognitive disability).
Read our blog to explore the major special education courses offered by universities and colleges worldwide.
Unit 5: Children and Women in Sports
In the fifth unit, Physical Education students will get to learn about the exercise guidelines at different stages of growth and development; sports participation of women in India; motor development and factors affecting it; common postural deformities – Flat Foot, Round Shoulders, Knock Knee, Lordosis, Bow Legs, Kyphosis Scoliosis and their corrective measures.
Unit 6: Test and Measurement
Motor Fitness Tests – run/walk, sit/reach, partial curl up, modified push-ups, push up, standing broad jump; Measurement of Cardio-vascular Fitness – Rocksport Test/Harvard Step Test; Rikli and Jones – Senior Citizen Test are the mandatory topics in the Physical Education class 12 syllabus.
Don’t forget to read our blog on pursuing a career in Sports.
Unit 7: Physiology and Injuries in Sports
This unit of Physical Education class 12 incorporates the intricate knowledge of the physiological factors determining the component of physical fitness; effect of exercise on the muscular system and cardio-respiratory system; first aid – aims and objectives; sports injuries: classification (soft tissue injuries, bone and joint injuries like dislocation, abrasion, sprain and strain); causes and prevention treatment.
Unit 8: Biomechanics & Sports
Here students will learn about the meaning and importance of Biomechanics in sports; Newton’s Law of Motion and its application in sports; types of movements (extension, abduction, flexion and adduction). You will also get to explore the changing trends and career in Physical Education.
Unit 9: Psychology & Sports
Major topics under this unit of Physical Education class 12 syllabus include the types and techniques of motivation; personality, its definitions and types – traits & types (Jung Classification & Sheldon); Big Five theory. Studying such topics will help you lay a strong foundation to build a career in Sports Management.
Unit 10: Training in Sports
The last unit of Physical Education has been also reduced in the Class 12 syllabus for 2020-21 and here are the final topics in Unit 10 of Class 10 Physical Education syllabus:
- Strength: Types, Meaning, Isometric, Isotonic and Isokinetic methods to improve strength
- Endurance: Meaning, Types, Training methods to develop endurance: Continuous, Fartlek and Interval Training
- Speed: Types, Meaning, Methods to improve speed, i.e. Acceleration Run and Pace Run
- Flexibility: Meaning, Types, Methods to improve flexibility
- Coordinative Abilities: Meaning and types
Note: Students are requested to check the gender-based and overall specifications of the tests on the official website.
Practicals in Class 12 Physical Education [30 Marks]
Here are the major test practicals in Class 12 physical education syllabus revised for 2020-21:
- Physical Fitness Test: 6 Marks
- Proficiency in Sports and Games: 7 Marks
Choose any sport/game from:
- Bocce & Unified Basketball [CW SN (Children With Special Needs – Divyang)]
- Yogic Practices: 7 Marks
- Record File: 5 Marks
- Fitness tests administration for all items
- Procedure for Asanas, Benefits & Contraindication for any two Asanas for each lifestyle disease
- Take any game of your choice from the list above. Then, make a labelled diagram of field & equipment (Rules, Terminologies & Skills)
- Viva Voce (Sports/Yoga and Health/Games): 5 Marks
Class 12 Physical Education Study Materials
Since a number of students of physical education as their 5th or 6th subject in 12th standard, there are many leading publication houses which provide comprehensive guides for the subject. To help you in acquiring the best study material for physical education class 12, here are some of the popular books available-
- Health and Physical Education by Vishvas Publications (Buy Here)
- Dr VK Sharma Health and Physical Book (Buy Here)
- Mainstreaming Health and Physical Education by Vishvas Publications (Buy Here)
- APC Introduction to Physical and Health Education class 12 (Buy Here)
Now that you are familiar with the Physical Education class 12 syllabus, start your preparation now! Want to know about the career opportunities in this field, talk to us at Leverage Edu. Our AI-tool can help you identify the right career option and the best university to kick-start your overseas education.