Located in the capital of the Sunshine State, The University of Queensland has been consistently featured amongst top 100 universities in the world as per the QS and THE University Rankings. UQ was founded in the year 1909 and is spread across St. Lucia, Gatton and Herston campuses. One of the oldest and proudest universities on the mesmerising lands of Australia and having been lauded as the 11th most beautiful campus in the world (Buzzfeed 2015), The University of Queensland is a leading global research university attracting scores of students from across the globe every year. Offering an immense number of undergraduate, postgraduate, higher degrees, summer courses and much more, the university is renowned for its postgraduate research and coursework programs available across a varied range of specialisations. Through this blog, we will be exploring the popular PG programs at The University of Queensland, their admission process, postgraduate scholarships and other related details.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study at The University of Queensland?
- List of PG Programs at The University of Queensland
- PG Courses at University of Queensland: Application Process and Eligibility Criteria
- Important Application Dates for PG Programs at UQ
- Scholarships Offered
Why Study at The University of Queensland?
With its alumni amongst Queensland’s highest academic achievers, The University of Queensland has constantly produced well-rounded individuals from all disciplines, who display high employability and practical skills. The course variety at the university also allows students to pursue specialised programs and explore professional and research opportunities in their field of choice. Here are some reasons why pursuing PG programs at The University of Queensland can prove to be a great academic decision:
A founding member of the Group-Eight (Go8) Universities and the sole Australian charter member of the global edX consortium for massive open online programs (MOOCs), The University of Queensland has always been at the top of the world university rankings. Take a look at some of the major independent rankings in which UQ has been featured:
- 1st in Australia for Research (Nature Index Tables, 2019)
- Top 2 MBA in Asia Pacific: The Economist, 2012-19
- QS World University Rankings: 46th
- US News Best Global Universities: 40th
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020: 62nd
- ARWU Ranking 2020: 54th
- Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities: 40th
- CWTS Leiden Ranking: 31st
- QS Graduate Employability Ranking 2020: 57th
The UQ also featured amongst the top 5 in the world in 2 subjects as well as in top 30 in 9 subjects in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019.
A Plethora of Programs Available
Having been at the forefront of academic and research excellence in Australia and the world, the UQ offers an assorted range of programs from undergraduate and postgraduate degrees to summer semester courses, higher degrees by research, study abroad and incoming exchange courses as well as UQ college programs. These programs are broadly spread across a host of disciplines and specialisations offered by its six faculties, namely:
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Information Technology
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Business, Economics and Law
- Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Great Research Opportunities
Offering postgraduate coursework and postgraduate research programs, The University of Queensland also possesses top-notch infrastructural capabilities and is amongst the leading research-intensive universities in Australia. Currently, the university has been at the forefront of the battle against the COVID-19, as human trials for the created vaccine have been initiated by the researchers. For those who wish to explore research opportunities at the global level, The University of Queensland has a plethora of research programs on offer!
Professional Networking and Alumni
With more than 50,000 new students enrolling with the UQ every year, the university houses a great alumni resource. Ace professionals in all disciplines have studied from The University of Queensland over the years, some of them even winning prestigious awards like the Nobel Prize and Olympic medals. The UQ has also featured at 57th position in Graduate Employability QS Rankings. The university currently has more than 2,60,000 alumni connected with the university through its alumni network, most of whom are of great value to present students who aspire to be successful in their respective fields.
List of PG Programs at The University of Queensland
The University of Queensland is known for the vast size of its course pool. An immense number of postgraduate degree programs on offer, the UQ has adhered to the Australian Qualifications Framework and thus avails postgraduate coursework programs for those aiming to gain professional exposure and postgraduate research programs for those inclined towards a career in research. From the plethora of available fields, here are some of the notable ones:
|Agricultural Science||Architecture||Pharmacy||Computer Science|
|Sustainable Energy||Quantum Technology||Medicine||Engineering|
|Social Work Studies||Governance and Public Policy||Writing, Editing and Publishing||Commerce|
Students who are considering admission in the UQ must explore the official website of the university to get detailed information related to available streams and courses.
Popular Postgraduate Courses
The number of programs that UQ offers at the postgraduate level is certainly amazing. Branching in the above-stated disciplines, the university offers a large number of master’s degrees to its students. Here are some of the most popular ones among them:
|International Law||Marketing||Quantum Technology||Statistics|
|Architecture||Cyber Defense||Data Science||Applied Finance|
|Physics||Hotel Management||Bioengineering||Molecular Biology|
|Infrastructure and Resources||Peace and Conflict Studies||Geographic Information||Manufacturing Engineering|
|Organisational Psychology||Advanced Economics||Governance and Public Policy||Financial Mathematics|
PG Courses at University of Queensland: Application Process and Eligibility Criteria
The application process for all the programs offered by the UQ is carried out through the official website of the university. Students can explore a vast range of programs across scores of specialisations and find the right program and scholarship that are applicable in their case. The following sections elucidate the application process and eligibility criteria of the PG programs at The University of Queensland:
The university has centralised all the courses available across its 6 faculties and 3 campuses on its website, facilitating browsing and application for students. Here is a general overview of the admission process of PG programs at The University of Queensland:
- Initially, the student must create an application account on the official website of The University of Queensland. However, students can also get a hard copy of the form if they want to go for the offline admission process. This form includes all the relevant information about the student, along with required documents and choice of course.
- After completing the application, students must pay a non-refundable application fee to secure their application.
- The application will be assessed by the university, where students may have to provide some additional documents or connect with the university online or through call.
- If the student is selected, he or she will be sent an official offer letter from the university. Accepting this offer will lead to successful enrolment with the university.
- Upon enrollment, students must pay their tuition fee deposit and overseas student health cover, and also choose their suitable mode of accommodation.
- Arriving in Australia, students must submit a copy of their Passport at the respective university campus.
While the eligibility requirements might vary as per the program, here are some of the general prerequisites for PG programs at The University of Queensland:
- While applying for a postgraduate program, students must ensure they possess a previous undergraduate degree or professional experience in their chosen discipline.
- Students must clear standardised English language proficiency exams to display their language prowess. The UQ generally accepts scores of IELTS, TOEFL iBT or PBT, Pearson, etc. for its programs.
- Some courses may have subject-specific prerequisites that are relevant to the course in which the student seeks admission. This ensures that the student comes with foundational knowledge in the discipline. This can include interviews, tests or auditions which evaluate the student’s adeptness and skills in the field they are desirous of pursuing.
Important Application Dates for PG Programs at UQ
Along with the application process and eligibility criteria, you must familiarize yourself with the application deadlines and semester dates for PG programs at The University of Queensland. Here are the important application, orientation and session dates for Semester 1 and Semester 2 of PG programs at UQ:
|Closing Date for Semester 1 Applications||30th November|
|Orientation Week for Semester 1||15-19 February|
|Semester 1 Begins||22nd February|
|Semester 1 Ends||19th June|
|Closing Date for Semester 2 Applications||31st May|
|Orientation Week for Semester 2||19th-23rd July|
|Semester 2 Begins||26th July|
|Semester 2 Ends||20th November|
Note: The aforementioned dates are only indicative and can vary as per the program.
The University of Queensland is one of the most generous Australian universities when it comes to offering scholarships to its students. It offers dedicated scholarships to students from all kinds of backgrounds, based on nationality, choice of course and exceptional skills. Here are some of the prominent scholarships for PG programs at The University of Queensland and specially available for Indian students:
- India Global Leaders Scholarship: This scholarship is exclusively designed for bright Indian students who wish to pursue their studies at UQ. Students at postgraduate academic levels who are from Business and Economics or Law stream are eligible for this scholarship. This scholarship is valid for the first year, where a student’s tuition fee is waived by 5,000$ – 20,000$, as per the discretion of the authorities.
- Women in Science Scholarship for India: As a token of respect for all the women leaders, UQ offers a one-of scholarship of 10,000$ to female applicants from India. This scholarship is covered under the faculty of Science and available to postgraduate students from the following courses:
- Agriculture and Environment
- Planning and Design
- UQ Economics India Scholarship: For new Indian students who want to apply for Business and Economics programs, The University of Queensland offers a supportive scholarship. Available to postgraduate students, this scholarship waives off 50% of all the tuition fee for the whole duration of the course. Students aiming for a dual degree are also eligible for this scholarship, in which case the scholarship will waive the tuition fee from the Economics branch. Students must note that this scholarship is awarded on a merit basis, hence all high scorers should aim for it.
- The School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences Indian Scholarship: This scholarship is offered to promote Indian students to pursue the courses offered by the School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences. Available exclusively to postgraduate students, this scholarship waives off 25% of the tuition fees and 100% of the Student Services and Amenities Fee. Only the students who are citizens of India, and have secured at least 75% aggregate marks in their undergraduate course are eligible for this scholarship.
Does The University of Queensland feel like a desirable educational institution for you? If yes, then our Leverage Edu experts are here to help you in identifying the perfect course for yourself among the pool of options and ensuring your eligibility for the same. Connect with us by registering for a free e-meeting and begin your academic voyage today!