“ The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it” Thi quote from a kid’s movie – The Lion King signifies the importance of the past in our life. Every day has a tail of stories attached to it. Some stories are motivating & some teach us new things. Now, let’s look at some of the most historical events that took place on this day- May 1!
What Happened Around the World on May 1?
- 1707 – Scotland & England acts of the union came into force & formed United Kingdom of Great Britain
- 1931 – Empire states building officially opens in New York City
- 1960 – American U–2 spy plane is shot down & captured the pilot near Sverdlovsk.
- 1962 – In the United States first KMART department store was opened. All things consumers need under one roof like Clothes, shoes, furniture, beauty products, and electronics.
- 1941 –The first feature film directed & starring Orson Welles named Citizen Kane was premiered in New York
- 1925 – Field Marshall Hinderburg was elected as president of Germany that was right-wing conservative.
- 1961 – Elections were banned in Cuba by Castro stating there is no time or place for elections in the revolution.
- 1967 – Elvis Presley ties a knot with her long-time girlfriend Priscilla Ann Beaulieu in las vegas.
- 1977 – Almost 33 people died when a march of protesters turned into a gunfight with the rival leftist group in turkey.
- 1982 – Energy Turns the World themed world’ fair opened in Tennesse & was visited by 11 million people
- 1997 – After almost 20 years Labour Party, led by Tony Blair won the parliamentary elections in England.
- 2003 – George W Bush, former president of the USA announced combat with Iraq was over.
- 2005 – North Korea fired missiles in the sea of Japan
- 2006 – One-day boycott by schools & businesses for immigrant reform proposal. Almost one million people participated in this strike.
- 2008 – Ahead of the Olympics game to improve the health condition of the country, china imposed a smoking ban on most of the buildings.
- 2009 – The Swiss bank refused to share information with the USA about the customers suspected of hiding fifteen billion dollars in Swiss banks.
- 2013 –13 people died when Saudi Arabia was the heaviest rainfall in over 25 years.
- 1738 – Kamehameha I Founder & ruler of the kingdom of Hawai reigned for 1782 – 1819.
- 1769 – Arthur Wellesley was the first duke of wellington, the British commander of the army during Napoleonic Wars & also served as a prime minister of the UK.
- 1852 – Calamity Jane was a sharpshooter known as an American frontierswoman who helped the needy & sick people in her fierce ways.
- 1988 – Jack Paar is a well-known author, actor, radio & television comedian & popularly known as the host of tonight’s show (1957 to 1962)
- 1939 – Max Robinson was the first African – American news anchor in the United States & also founded the National Association of Black Journalist
- 1975 – Jodhi May was an actress that was the youngest nominated at Cannes Film Festival for her role in the movie A world apart.
This was all about the fascinating and intriguing events on May 1, this day in history. We hope you enjoyed going through this blog! For more such entertaining and informative content, keep following us at Leverage Edu. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.