All of us have seen our grandmothers knit sweaters with intricate designs. As per historian Richard Rutt, knitting originated in Egypt between 500 and 1200 A.D. Over the years, knitting has turned into a full-fledged industry with multiple job opportunities! Knitwear designing is a highly profitable profession with immense scope in the fashion industry.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Knitwear Design?
- Required Skills
- Top Entrance Exams for Knitwear Designing in India
- Top Courses
- Top 10 Universities for Knitwear Design Courses Abroad
- Top 10 Colleges for Knitwear Design Courses in India
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Top Knitwear Designers
- Job Profile and Salary
- Top Recruiters
What is Knitwear Design?
Mostly done with wool and yarn, knitwear design is a form of design that gives knitted apparel the end result. Knitwear designing courses teach about technology, manufacturing, stitching, pattern-making, trend analysis, forecasting, sketching of cloth, production of cloth, etc. Fashion enthusiasts who want to learn about the technique of creating new weave designs and the art of making intricate patterns can surely pursue a career in Knitwear Designing.
Did you know that you can burn up to 55 calories if you knit for half an hour?
Knitwear Designing is not a very common course and the individuals who want to build a successful career in this field need to have a keen interest in fashion and designing.
- Must keep themselves up to date with the incoming and outgoing trends
- Knowledge of their client preferences. You have to be creative if you want to stand out amongst the other fast-fashion competitors
- Gaining people’s confidence with the quality of your patterns
- Good communication skills in order to increase your client base which will help your business
- Strong hand with computer-aided designing to make drafts
- Complete knowledge about colour coding, shades and tones must be possessed by an aspiring Knitwear Designer.
Also Read: Master of Fashion Management
The best part about choosing a career in knitwear design is students from any stream can pursue courses related to knitwear design. Every university has different eligibility criteria to be fulfilled by applicants, here is the general entry requirements for admission in knitwear design courses:
- For bachelor courses, students should have completed 10+2 with 50%
- For master courses, you should have a bachelors degree with 50%
- Letter of recommendations
- English proficiency tests like IELTS, TOFEL, PTE
Top Entrance Exams for Knitwear Designing in India
If you are planning to pursue Knitwear Design in India you have to appear for different entrance exams for admission. Based on the entrance exams score and other criteria a student is selected by the university.
- All India Entrance Examination for Design (AIEED)
- Common Entrance Exam for Design(CEED)
- Design Aptitude Test (DAT)
- National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam(NIFT).
Also Read: Career as a Fashion Blogger
To pursue Knitwear Designing as a profession, a degree in Knitwear is highly recommendable because it makes you specialized in knitwear design and gives a better understanding of the work you will be doing in the future or else any degree in fashion will work as all the degrees in fashion have a similar syllabus.
- Bachelor’s in Knitwear Design
- BA Hons Fashion Knitwear Design and Knitted Textiles
- Master’s in Knitwear
- MA Fashion (Knitwear)
Top 10 Universities for Knitwear Design Courses Abroad
Some of the best fashion schools are in UK and US. If you are confused between the two countries, try our AI Course Finder that evaluates your profile to find your perfect fit.
- University of Arts London
- Nottingham Trent University
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Vocational Training Council
- Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising
- Fanshawe College
- Kent State University
- Amsterdam Fashion Academy
- Harper College
- Middlesex University Dubai
Top 10 Colleges for Knitwear Design Courses in India
Do you know IIT Bombay also offers knitwear design courses? India is to some of the finest colleges offering knitwear design courses, check out the list of top colleges:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda
- Pearl Academy Rajouri Garden
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- Amity University, Noida
- IIFA Lancaster International Campus
- IIT Bombay
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- MIT Institute of Design
Also Read: What is Fashion Communication?
Wondering how you can apply for knitwear design courses abroad? Here is a step-by-step application guide for you:
- Visit the official website of the university you are interested in pursuing knitwear design.
- Check the course curriculum and the eligibility requirements.
- Click on the application form of the respective university.
- First, you need to create an account using your mobile number or email address.
- You will receive an email or SMS on your registered contact number with login details and verification.
- Use the login details provided and enter your personal details ( name, gender, date of birth)
- Enter your academic qualification and upload the required documents.
- Select the course and pay the application fee.
- The application fee is different for every university and can be paid through debit/credit card or internet banking.
- Submit your application form, you can also track your application form through your account.
- Students that have been selected will be required to attend a virtual interview by some universities.
Here is a list of necessary documents required at the time of submitting your application form:
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Postgraduate applicants have to submit a translation of the degree certificate in case the degree certificate is in another language other than English.
Top Knitwear Designers
Wondering if knitwear design is a successful career option? These knitwear designers have proved if you are passionate and have the knowledge you can achieve and skyrocket your dreams into reality.
- Priyamvada Mishra
- Tanya Maheswari
- Vinay Mehra
- Ryan Roche
- Kim Haller
- Buffy Reid
- Sam Leutton
- Jenny Postle
- Angela Bell
- Lindsay Degen
Knitted fabric and garment manufacture and production has a great scope in domestic and international markets. You could specialize at an advanced level and start your own label by experimenting with different designs and analysing the market preferences. After getting comfortable in the Knitwear Design and Technology you can choose from a plethora of job profiles like designers, merchandisers, quality controllers etc and grow from thereon.
Job Profile and Salary
The growth of knitwear designers is immense in India and abroad. Working for high-end brands to opening up your couture boutique you will have several options.
|Job Profile||Average Salary (p.a)|
|Knitwear Designer||$42k- $80k INR(3L- 5L)|
|Textile Designer||$40-$65k INR(29K-48L)|
|Trend Forecaster||$42k- $80k INR(30L- 50L)|
|Fashion Stylist||$28k-$65k INR(20L-48L)|
|Costume Designer||$27k-$51k INR(19L-38L)|
|Quality Controllers for Fabric||$30k-$49k INR(22L-36L)|
Knitwear design fashion is more prevalent amongst the big giants or high-end brans in fashion. Other than these brands, e-commerce sites also hire knitwear designers. Some of the top recruiting companies are:
- Park Avenue
- Future Group
- Marks and Spencers
- Creative Lines
- Monte Carlo
Knitwear Designing has been in the business for a long and the new technology advancements and the youth obsessing over knitwear, fashion has made the industry travel leaps and bounds. People who follow fashion closely and want to make a mark in the same should definitely opt for knitwear designing as their career option.
Are you ready to make a career in Knitwear Designing? Our Leverage Edu experts will help you turn your dream of studying abroad into a reality. Call us at 1800572000 today for FREE 30-minute consultation!